HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Don't think you remember Kucherov's one timer at 18 years years old either ;)

He developed that around 21-22 years old, they all do.

I agree Datsyuk/Kane are good comparables, but Demidov is a much bigger version so right there he will escape these comparables ceiling range- ultimately comparable are flawed, I just expect him to have a Kucherov like presence on the ice, where you can't give him an inch or he's going to make you pay. LIkely to be more a playmaker (Federov/Panarin) than scorer in terms of point production. 30g / 70a - but that's before we see how he develops his shot options later.

What does that mean to you? Everyone can have a one timer like Kucherov? Xhekaj can be the next Chara? Slaf is the next Jagr? Exceptions are not the general rule but they do happen. Today, I would bet money that Demidov does not have a one timer like Kucherov. I'm not saying it's impossible for Demidov to develop a one timer like Kucherov. I'm just saying he has little sample of showing that ability today. He would have to work on that obsessively as I'm sure Kucherov did. Slaf is also putting that work in with his one timer. He's improved at it but has a ways to go yet.

Very curious to see how both Michkov and Demidov turn out. If both Demidov and Iggy are on the board when we pick, I would have a very tough decision to make. I know most would pick Demidov but I'm not afraid to project Iggy's development forward as well. I think that young factor is big and it's a birthdate/timing thing.

Personally, I have Datsyuk/Kane more than Kucherov. Kucherov is not a bad comparable though. This is ceiling base talk. Always a touchy subject.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
None of this except for size is based on anything tangible. It’s just your opinion, and again, I have to question how you’ve come to that because it certainly isn’t based on results on the ice.

His 4 more assists, less goals, less points per game makes him “more complete offensively than Iginla”? How so? I’d really like an explanation that isn’t just you saying so.

And before you go off, yes stats are a huge part of the equation. Always have been, always will be.

He’s “bigger” than Iginla, but he’s weaker, slower, less explosive, less physical, and plays a perimeter game, and he’s significantly older. He’s also worse defensively, among a number of other things.

As for Catton, there is not a single thing that Sennecke does better, or even as good. He’s worse in every way, except size.

It’s not an opinion than Sennecke has better hands, puckhandling and playmaking.

Combinaison of playmaking, shot and how he use his hands in situations, and other details that’ll get better in time makes him a potential complete player with his tools when put together.

And no, he is not playing a perimeter game.

We’re talking about ceiling/upside here. Which players will reach it is another discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
What does that mean to you? Everyone can have a one timer like Kucherov? Xhekaj can be the next Chara? Slaf is the next Jagr? Exceptions are not the general rule but they do happen. Today, I would bet money that Demidov does not have a one timer like Kucherov. I'm not saying it's impossible for Demidov to develop a one timer like Kucherov. I'm just saying he has little sample of showing that ability today. He would have to work on that obsessively as I'm sure Kucherov did. Slaf is also putting that work in with his one timer. He's improved at it but has a ways to go yet.

Very curious to see how both Michkov and Demidov turn out. If both Demidov and Iggy are on the board when we pick, I would have a very tough decision to make. I know most would pick Demidov but I'm not afraid to project Iggy's development forward as well. I think that young factor is big and it's a birthdate/timing thing.

Personally, I have Datsyuk/Kane more than Kucherov. Kucherov is not a bad comparable though. This is ceiling base talk. Always a touchy subject.

All I`m saying is it`s pretty hard to read the one-timer skills from Juniors. It`s a NHL specific skillset. I`m not generalizing the whole skillset just the specific one timer skill.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All I`m saying is it`s pretty hard to read the one-timer skills from Juniors. It`s a NHL specific skillset. I`m not generalizing the whole skillset just the specific one timer skill.

I understand. And I'm just saying that Kucherov's one timer is an anomaly. I would bet money that Demidov won't have a one timer like that. Going with the odds/probability

Reactions: Naslund

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hard disagree. Catton dictates the play, Sennecke reacts to it. Sennecke may have elite hands and a longer reach, but Catton does pretty much everything at a higher level.

Are some fans still trying to sneak Sennecke in the 5-8 range mix when most have him 10-14? I think we need Bob's new list next week. See how much of a reach players like Iggy, Catton, Sennecke will be at 5.

I like Sennecke a lot... If I had the 10th or 11th pick. But yeah, I really do think it's a big reach to try to justify taking him 5th.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I understand. And I'm just saying that Kucherov's one timer is an anomaly. I would bet money that Demidov won't have a one timer like that. Going with the odds/probability

Sure from a pure probability pov, but you would have said the same thing about Kucherov himself.
I would guess that Demidov will seek to develop his wrist shot more as it fits his game more, but who knows, right now the one timer is a bit in fashion.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
10 more long day...

Sigh...

*That's too long for Cole Eiserman*

-Cole Eiserman

1000005030.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sure from a pure probability pov, but you would have said the same thing about Kucherov himself.
I would guess that Demidov will seek to develop his wrist shot more as it fits his game more, but who knows, right now the one timer is a bit in fashion.

I only brought up the one timer due to the Kucherov comparable. It's not easy to develop that so that's why I said Kane/Datsyuk.

Someone else said Demidov's skating was OK but not great. First time I have heard this from anyone. I find his skating top notch.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Demidov is hard to project, his style is kind of unique. I don't think it will work in the NHL as is but he has exceptional skills and smarts, I think he can adapt. His highlights show he sees the game differently.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It doesn’t make sense to trade Matheson when Dickinson wouldn’t be in the NHL next season. It would happen next offseason.
It likely will be but I wanted Matheson caproom to sign right shot vet D. Plus the pick in top 15. One of Catton, Sennecke, Eiserman will be there. We have enough depth on left side to do it. Gives us another year look at either Harris or Struble

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
With all this passion over the number 5 pick something tells me whomever we get is in for a rough ride from some of you. Be kind to our newest hab.

No one will get it worse than Reinbacher.. we knew for weeks they weren't taking Michkov but it didn't stop the pieces of shit from being humongous pieces of shit toward an 18 year old kid living out his dream.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
No one will get it worse than Reinbacher.. we knew for weeks they weren't taking Michkov but it didn't stop the pieces of shit from being humongous pieces of shit toward an 18 year old kid living out his dream.
It's really lucky for us that Reinbacher is a grounded, solid between the ears kid. He managed to power through that and the future looks really bright for him now. A more vulnerable type would have crashed and burned, maybe even worst. People don't realize how bad anxiety can be on a teenager like that :help: I can only hope the fandom as a whole got a bit of a lesson from the whole experience.

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal
As the years go by and we learn more (as pretender scouts), I realize that those D+ years are massive. You hear it from all the stars when they talk about the commitment to improving. Ability to overcome challenges along the way. When I look at a player like Iginla, I think that he is that type. Always wanting to improve and become better than others. I'm not sure with Demidov but he's high on my list regardless.

This is something I'm realizing as well. There's so much behind improving at the NHL level, it takes effort and dedication. You need to draft players with the right outlook, that aren't willing to sit on their strengths and ignore their weaknesses. It's why I like how much importance Habs management is putting on personality and character when selecting players to draft.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I only brought up the one timer due to the Kucherov comparable. It's not easy to develop that so that's why I said Kane/Datsyuk.

Someone else said Demidov's skating was OK but not great. First time I have heard this from anyone. I find his skating top notch.

He can improve his 3 step and top speed for sure. He`s fast and agile in 1, 2 steps situation. Might just be a muscle thing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is something I'm realizing as well. There's so much behind improving at the NHL level, it takes effort and dedication. You need to draft players with the right outlook, that aren't willing to sit on their strengths and ignore their weaknesses. It's why I like how much importance Habs management is putting on personality and character when selecting players to draft.

Look no further than Drouin and Yakupov. Very skilled with good skating but didn't improve since their draft year. Players with this kind of talent have an easy road in development leagues and they are shell shocked when they turn pro. Time and space is reduced and there are loads of big guys that skate well. Not many players to take advantage of as there is in development leagues. For every hit you can find, there are 3+ misses. It's a difficult job to scout and project development forward for kids at age 17/18.

Obsessive to improve is a huge development ingredient. The team can only do so much to facilitate their development. It's up to the player to put the work in. So yeah, if you want to be a pretend scout, try to find the guy that has the best D+ development. When I look at this group from 2-13, I see loads of good players. But then you wonder, it's not about who they are today, it's about who they become from age 18-23 and if they put the work in or not. Sometimes, a player thinks he's training hard but the question I would ask... is it considered work or do they enjoy it? The ones who are rink and gym rats are the ones who turn out well.

Look at the 2018 draft. Lots of people liked Zadina, Boqvist, Wahlstrom, KK, Hayton. Then you got the hits with Tkachuk, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson. 3-12 in that draft reminds me of 2-14 in this draft. So many players to like but what will be the bust %? Will it be 25% or less or close to 50%? There is going to be some busts in this 2-14 range.... just hard to cherry pick them today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad