HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Took me a while to make up my mind but after reading hundreds of posts on this board and watching no actual hockey games, I am ready to release my informed opinion. I'm hoping for Dickinson, Iginla and/or Sennecke. But if they choose anyone else, it means that we have a player that is superior to those 3 according to actual experts so I'll be on board with that as well.
I'm not here for rational takes, I'm here for emotional takes

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
What if...
Habs use Reinbacher in a deal
Then at 5 draft a d man?
Would be moving sideways. RDs are super rare, they can't afford to trade Reinbacher after passing Leonard imho. They need the forward there at #5. They need the playoff warrior before the fancy skilled skater. There aren't any centers who are going to remain center to pick at #5, so that narrows choices down quite a bit.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Would be moving sideways. RDs are super rare, they can't afford to trade Reinbacher after passing Leonard imho. They need the forward there at #5. They need the playoff warrior before the fancy skilled skater. There aren't any centers who are going to remain center to pick at #5, so that narrows choices down quite a bit.
Agreed
This was talked on a podcast today.

They need Lidstrom

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Just saw this on sportsnet from Jason Bukala. Would it be a yay or nay from you for this hypothetical pick swap trade he adds between the Habs and Flames?

Full article.
I hang up and then grumble Nay.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
so funny, my weak-sauce, insider friend who was insisting we were taking Iginla, is now saying habs seriously considering a
dman at 5. (I'm fond of him and he's not a flake.)
Apparently if Lindstrom is drafted before 5 OR they're not convinced his back is solid, they'll draft a dman.
what if Cale Makar is waiting to be picked?
He has a point, will be fascinating to see what they do after, if they go D again.
I assume one of the untouchables like Mailloux ...or even Guhle (hope not) might be dealt for that young F
Is your insider friend HuGo? If not, meaningless. No offense.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
so funny, my weak-sauce, insider friend who was insisting we were taking Iginla, is now saying habs seriously considering a
dman at 5. (I'm fond of him and he's not a flake.)
Apparently if Lindstrom is drafted before 5 OR they're not convinced his back is solid, they'll draft a dman.
what if Cale Makar is waiting to be picked?
He has a point, will be fascinating to see what they do after, if they go D again.
I assume one of the untouchables like Mailloux ...or even Guhle (hope not) might be dealt for that young F

That is Buium

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Fantilli
Sillinger
Johnson
Chinakhov
Gaudreau (many more years)
Laine
Marchenko
Texier

Not enough grinders may be the problem.

Laine is going to be traded. Johnson seems to be busting. Texier is an average 3rd line forward, who's a winger. Marchenko is a good 2nd line goal scorer, and a winger. Chinakov is a winger.

Gaudreau winger. Sillinger looks to be a decent 2nd line center. Fantilli looks to be a winger at NHL level, too.

If they think Lindstrom can be a center, you take him based off that fact alone. Their #1 center is Boone Jenner.

Reactions: EveryDay and jrom

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
As late flavor of the week and weak, Berkly Catton must be considered at 5th overall. Over Sennecke, Iginla and Lindstrom.

If every team prioritizes height, then Chicago wouldn't have picked Patrick Kane (5'9.75 - 170 lbs vs Catton 5'10.25 - 175 lbs) over JVR or Kyle Turris.

Catton is only player that oozes true offensive talent compared to the other guys who I would rank more as projects. The kid is from Saskatchewan, he's not a weak player like the ones from Ontario (wink wink Mitchell Marner). He fought Iginla and didn't look out of place. If we want someone similar in style as Kaner, go for Catton. If we want a beauty on defense that will solidify our D for the next generation, go for Sam Dickinson.

Players I would want at 5:

Ivan Demidov
Sam Dickinson
Zeev Buium
Berkly Catton
Anton Silayev

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
What if...
Habs use Reinbacher in a deal
Then at 5 draft a d man?
Too early to contemplate trading Reinbacher - or any of Guhle, Struble, WiFi, Hutson, etc etc.

_____
(not directed at sampollock):

So funny to have read this board for years and have ppl constantly mock Bergevin for saying trades are hard....and then these same posters complain that we have to draft a F because...trades are hard.

Let's have our GM take BPA at the draft.

He's got 364 days of the year to tweak the rest of the lineup.

Reactions: dcyhabs and jaffy27

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
From a pure player profile, Zeev Buium is probably the player we need the less in the draft. Having Hutson but also having bigger D with good defensive acuity.

All in all tho, and i may totally be wrong tho, i think Buium has the highest ceiling in the draft after Celebrini.

I think his ceiling is a true 1D, top 10D in the league in his prime.

Levshunov, Silayev have major size, one is a RD and they both feel easier to project as top pair D.

But in terms of pure upside, i believe Buium is second to Celebrini in this draft.

It is only a distraction that we have so many good, promising young LD. He would be top of the list. We would miss on a good forward, but if we draft a true 1D and then proceed to trade Ds for Fs. We may end up in a way better spot than with the current Ds we have and the forward we may draft at 5.

Its all about extracting the most value out of our pick and i believe Buium is the best available asset at 5, if he is there.

Tldr : Buium is my choice for 5OV because i believe in terms of pure upside, he is 2nd to Celebrini in the draft.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Laine is going to be traded. Johnson seems to be busting. Texier is an average 3rd line forward, who's a winger. Marchenko is a good 2nd line goal scorer, and a winger. Chinakov is a winger.

Gaudreau winger. Sillinger looks to be a decent 2nd line center. Fantilli looks to be a winger at NHL level, too.

If they think Lindstrom can be a center, you take him based off that fact alone. Their #1 center is Boone Jenner.
I'd pick Catton if I was Don. :nod:

Reactions: Saxon

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Drafting Zeev Buium and trading Kaiden Guhle may land us the better defenseman (Buium > Guhle) and the better forward. (If : the guy we trade Guhle for > the guy we pick at 5)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Man it would be great Silayev-Bogdan together in MTL

Then draft Artmanov from Torpedo ... these guys would rock

Hutson-Reinbacher
Silayev-Bodgan
Guhle-Mailloux
Wifi-Struble-Engstrom
Yeah a good way to improve an NHL team is by building them up with players from a middling KHL team

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Average Habs enjoyer.
image.jpg

It's interesting that management brought him out to dinner though, could there be a scenario where we take him with the plan of moving Guhle to the right side?

I know it's too early to tell, but a d-core of:
Hutson-Reinbacher
Dickinson-Guhle
Xhekaj-Mailloux
has the potential to be something special. The only downside is we'll need Hutson to score atleast 100 goals a season to makeup for the lack of offense up front:help:
Swaaaaayzeee

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

I'd happily grab Voronkov but he's not going anywhere (hopefully we start throwing darts at players like that in the later rounds instead of guys like Pitlick or Guindon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad