HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
HockeyProspect.com are probably the closest rankings to how I feel about top 10 (not how they will actually go)

Top 10

1: Celebrini
2: Lindstrom
3: Buium
4: Demidov
5: Silayev
6: Sennecke
7: Iginla
8: Dickinson
9: Perekh
10: Levshunov

If Silayev is the pick, I quit my job, I quit my girlfriend, I quit everything and I will become no-binary trans women.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Hate to engage in such off topicism

But

Danaults production is irrelevant to how elite he was in our finals run, no one was as important as him.

He went through McDavid, Matthews and Scheifele and literally managed to practically shut em down as efficiently as possible.

Even with 0 points, he would have been the best and most important player we had during the finals run

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Yeah everything about hockey is points. Teams don't win either, just star players. Right.

"He couldn't shut down the bolts either"

LOL wow.
“We should draft players who get even better in the playoffs — like Danault”

Danault got worse in the playoffs. He isn’t the archetype of a top5 draft pick, he isn’t a reliable two-way player.

“Ugh, okay, yeah everything is all about points huh? Is that it? LOL wow.”

Fantastic chat

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
If Silayev is the pick, I quit my job, I quit my girlfriend, I quit everything and I will become no-binary trans women.

KevSkillz4 profile picture after the Silayev pick.

1718635291817.png

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Water-gun to your head: Silayev or Catton?
Catton pretty easily.
Hate to engage in such off topicism

But

Danaults production is irrelevant to how elite he was in our finals run, no one was as important as him.

He went through McDavid, Matthews and Scheifele and literally managed to practically shut em down as efficiently as possible.

Even with 0 points, he would have been the best and most important player we had during the finals run
Danault got as far as a "Two-way" type as Carey Price took him. He essentially drifted back in nowhere land without him and can't beat out 40 YO Kopitar for the shutdown job.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
If Anaheim is leaning defense then they'd be best off creating a bidding war between us and Columbus for the 3rd pick.

They already knew we're heavily leaning forward and I figured so was Columbus, and now with the Laine news I think it's even more likely that they are.

If I was Anaheim I would be calling Montreal to see their offer for 3rd, then instantly call Columbus and tell them they have to top Montreal's offer or else their guy could be gone at 4.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
“We should draft players who get even better in the playoffs — like Danault”

Danault got worse in the playoffs. He isn’t the archetype of a top5 draft pick, he isn’t a reliable two-way player.

“Ugh, okay, yeah everything is all about points huh? Is that it? LOL wow.”

Fantastic chat
I said none of these things. You are arguing with yourself again.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Only thing I wish Silayev would do more is to be physical. The guy would be a massive pain in the ass to play against. That being said he's such a smart player that the Myers/Zadorov talk makes me wonder if the players criticizing him know anything about his game.

Reactions: Jaynki and ReHabs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Only thing I wish Silayev would do more is to be physical. The guy would be a massive pain in the ass to play against. That being said he's such a smart player that the Myers/Zadorov talk makes me wonder if the players criticizing him know anything about his game.
Myers is actually a pretty good D up until he makes the stupidest blunder ever created in the universe aside from the Matheson universe. Zadorov is also pretty smart, I'd say it's mostly his skating that holds him back.

Silayev has the possibility of being Myers without the stupid shit or Z without the skating issues and without the toughness.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah everything about hockey is points. Teams don't win either, just star players. Right.

"He couldn't shut down the bolts either"

LOL wow.

Actually, The Habs did contain the Lightning to a fair amount. Their PP was an impressive 37.7% before they faced the Habs. Tampa's PP was 13.3% against the Habs in the finals and Danault was a big factor in this.

Tampa beat us with Coleman, Johnson, Goodrow, Palat, Point, McDonagh, Rutta, Cirelli, Cernak. Kucherov was the only one of their stars that put up the points you would expect.

Tampa being over the cap was a factor. Their depth behind their stars was a strong area.

rykJivI.png

Reactions: SOLR

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nah, our coach was obsessively using Danault in a defense first role. Not he same usage as Barkov. Barkov's D is a different kind of strength.

* Danault's corsi was 51% and he had 64% of D zone starts.
* Barkov's corsi is 62% and he has 44% of D zone starts.

You need to consider usage, type of player, and what the coach wants them to do. Danault filled his role perfectly. Asking him to step up offensively is a reach and bad coaching. He did have a key assist to Lehkonen's clinching goal against the Knights ;)
He played 19 mins a game and didn’t score a goal until the Finals. I get he played in a defensive role, but that’s just poor.

Take Sami Pahlsson as an example for the Ducks. Same minutes, same role. Played with Travis Moen and Rob Niedermayer, not exactly top offensive talents. He still managed 12 points in the Cup run.

Back to the draft, let’s hope we don’t pick a Phil Danault at 5th overall :laugh:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I would take Catton too, and think he's a more pressing need, but Silayev's upside is hard to turn down.

Reactions: Jaynki

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Trevor Timmins in CBJ won’t allow them to draft a skilled forward. He’ll bang on the table and argue that there’s a better American HS student with a thick frame out there.

Sennecke it is then but i think they should consider Catton for the second C spot, i see Jonhson as an W

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Please stop debating veteran players in the Draft thread. For the sake of my back, don't make me cart all the Danault posts into another thread.
Actually, The Habs did contain the Lightning to a fair amount. Their PP was an impressive 37.7% before they faced the Habs. Tampa's PP was 13.3% against the Habs. Danault was a big factor in this.

Tampa beat us with Coleman, Johnson, Goodrow, Palat, Point, McDonagh, Rutta, Cirelli, Cernak. Kucherov was the only one of their stars that put up the points you would expect.

Tampa being over the cap was a factor. Their depth behind their stars was a strong area.

rykJivI.png
Hey Halifax....why isn't it sinking in? Take this stuff somewhere else for the benefit of everyone interested in draft info and/or talk

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He played 19 mins a game and didn’t score a goal until the Finals. I get he played in a defensive role, but that’s just poor.

Take Sami Pahlsson as an example for the Ducks. Same minutes, same role. Played with Travis Moen and Rob Niedermayer, not exactly top offensive talents. He still managed 12 points in the Cup run.

It was one of the most obsessive D utilization you will see from a forward. We are being too hard on Danault. He's very good at what he does.

Carbonneau (6 pts with 3 goals in 20 games... 93 finals)
vs
Danault (4 pts with 1 goal in 22 games.. 21 finals)

Hey Halifax....why isn't it sinking in? Take this stuff somewhere else for the benefit of everyone interested in draft info and/or talk

Every consider I didn't see the warning? You should not try to play Mod btw. There is a fair amount of off topic conversations that happens in every thread. Relax and let the mods do their job. My bad for falling into the distraction.

Also, why don't you reply to all the ones who have talked about non draft things? Seems to me like you are focusing on one poster and you could have sent a private message. I didn't even start this derail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad