HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Especially as Heiskanen dominates for Dallas

It’s funny how we want guys like Dickinson/Buium to go into the top 4.

Meanwhile

HF Sens, Devils, Flames, Kraken, Utah : Dickinson/Buium/Lev/Silayev won’t fall to us, we’ll miss on the top tier Dman.

Honestly, 5 might not be such a bad spot. One of Demidov/Lindstrom is probably gonna be available for us and if not, we’ll be in the perfect position for teams below that want to get first dibs on one of these D to call us for a trade. Might receive an overpayment.

You don’t want to be a team in need of a guy like Sam or Zeev and risk losing him to a team right in front of you and now you either have to settle for Parekh/Yakemchuk or pick Catton/Helenius/Eiserman if you don’t need a F. :naughty:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable watching that podcast. Grant keeps coming across as a repulsive asshole, like having a couple thousand views a week is all it took to inflate his ego.

No wonder he can't get a real scouting job.
Grant is Orange Face level insecure and arrogant and tries to control the narrative but he is of well below average intelligence and much like the Don Cherry's of the world has no idea what is actually happening on the ice. He never really was a scout and never will get a sniff again....he is a pathetic joke.

I certainly don't watch all of Marinaro's podcasts as his guests are a who's who of clueless dimwits and NHL failures. I like Engels as he is easily he best regular by about 3 orders of magnitude but Laraque, Boisvert and the rest are buffoons on their best days.The Recruits podcast is a joke as it tries to come off as an insight into scouting yet there are no scouts on the panel and they yammer on about players that they have never seen live and have never met.

For those of you who think that Grant was a scout.....I won't share personal information but there is plenty of public information that will show how minuscule his "scouting" background is and how pathetic it is for him to try and parlay that into an authoritative broadcast.

Live look at HFHabs realizing Dickinson will be playing himself into the top 4 by the time the Memorial cup is over.

View attachment 875774

He has deserved to be there all season long.

Reactions: Runner77

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
All of this Dickinson talk makes me realize more and more how important it is to go BPA. I see zero logic in passing on an LD if he's seen BPA, tier of his own especially.

I'm not saying they should rank Dickinson ahead of Demidov etc but let's say they do and still pass and go over need, atrocious asset management

You draft the BPA and unless it's Celebrini, you're waiting a year or two before they're in the lineup and you need to clear a roster spot and fit them in

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Honestly, 5 might not be such a bad spot. One of Demidov/Lindstrom is probably gonna be available for us and if not, we’ll be in the perfect position for teams below that want to get first dibs on one of these D to call us for a trade. Might receive an overpayment.:naughty:
That's fan fantasy. In reality the value for moving from one spot to another in the first round is almost set in stone. GM's already know the cost, it's a matter of if the other team wants to move or not.

Habs wouldn't get much for going from 5 to like 8. It's not worth it as they don't need extra lower end assets. Just pick your guy.

Reactions: dcyhabs and Expos94

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
All of this Dickinson talk makes me realize more and more how important it is to go BPA. I see zero logic in passing on an LD if he's seen BPA, tier of his own especially.
There's no such thing as the Habs having to draft a LD at 5 because he's the BPA and in a tier of his own.

That won't happen, you can stop worrying about it.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I'm not saying they should rank Dickinson ahead of Demidov etc but let's say they do and still pass and go over need, atrocious asset management

You draft the BPA and unless it's Celebrini, you're waiting a year or two before they're in the lineup and you need to clear a roster spot and fit them in
Hughes said over and over he's not taking LD

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Still don't make to sense

Especially if someone is the clear BPA and they pass on up him and I doubt their lists were finalized 4 weeks ago in order to reply no to that
What Hughes says, he's not taking LD. A slim, slim chance he may take RD though. He's said if forwards he likes gone at 5, he's trading down.

Reactions: rochab

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
That's fan fantasy. In reality the value for moving from one spot to another in the first round is almost set in stone. GM's already know the cost, it's a matter of if the other team wants to move or not.

Habs wouldn't get much for going from 5 to like 8. It's not worth it as they don't need extra lower end assets. Just pick your guy.
NFL teams trade down because they're still drafting a player who will play right away. Not so in the NHL.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Anything Hughes says this far out from the draft is likely a smoke screen, and should be taken with a grain of salt, but fans like you want a forward at all costs, so you take it at face value. No GM is going to publicly divulge their actual positions or strategies ahead of time, not with how dynamic and fluid things can get leading up to the draft and on the draft floor.
I don't care who they draft, to be perfectly honest. But Hughes saying they won't draft a left D doesn't increase the value of the pick, in fact it diminishes it, so I don't think he's blowing smoke when he says he's not drafting a left D. Believe him, he's really not drafting a left D. So he's not drafting Sam Dickinson, Zeev Buium or Anton Silayev at 5OA. They drafted DR at 5 last year to build the roster, same thing will happen this year.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I guess you never know but he seems to have clawed his way into that 2nd tier of forwards (Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla). I think there’s more of a chance that someone like Eiserman or Connelly drops to 18.
I don't see Eiserman getting past the Sharks at #14. Granted he's not a Grier type, but he's the type of forward that would just about complete SJ's forward core if he pans out.

• Wow
Reactions: Grinner

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
What Hughes says, he's not taking LD. A slim, slim chance he may take RD though. He's said if forwards he likes gone at 5, he's trading down.

I don't care who they draft, to be perfectly honest. But Hughes saying they won't draft a left D doesn't increase the value of the pick, in fact it diminishes it, so I don't think he's blowing smoke when he says he's not drafting a left D. Believe him, he's really not drafting a left D. So he's not drafting Sam Dickinson, Zeev Buium or Anton Silayev at 5OA. They drafted DR at 5 last year to build the roster, same thing will happen this year.
Yeah, I don't put all my trust into what Hughes says publicly, even when both Engels and Basu reiterate the fact he won't draft a defensemen. It would be poor judgement to simply pass over one of those 3 defensemen because of team depth.
Reality is those 3 guys are probably better than Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, Engstom etc. so why on earth would the GM not want one that's even better.
The last two drafts Hughes drafted two guys that nobody thought he would, yet we suddenly believe everything he says...

The poll should be updated to include Demidov, Lindstrom, Dickinson and Buim as its possible those guys are available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jabba11 and dcyhabs

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Still don't make to sense

Especially if someone is the clear BPA and they pass on up him and I doubt their lists were finalized 4 weeks ago in order to reply no to that

There is no clear BPA

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Just for fun - I looked at 7 recent mock drafts by mainstream sites (Athletic, TSN, Sportsnet, EP, FLO) to gauge who is most likely available to the habs at 5th. The mock drafts are mostly what they think the other teams will take based on talent & need.
Here is how often each player was selected in the top 4 picks:

Celebrini (7) - duh
Levshunov (7)
Silayev (6)
Demidov (4)
Dickinson (3)
Lindstrom (1)

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
There is no clear BPA
I think it's better to say there is no clear consensus so we can't label the BPAs.

And the way Hughes is talking, they have D ranked in their top 5, they just expect them to be taken before #5. He wouldn't bring up the "trade down if a LHD or take a falling RHD" otherwise.

It's a bit like if Demidov is taken top 4 and the Habs don't take Lindstrom at #5 and people get pissed. Yet Lindstrom could very well drop out of the top 10 with his injury.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yeah, I don't put all my trust into what Hughes says publicly, even when both Engels and Basu reiterate the fact he won't draft a defensemen. It would be poor judgement to simply pass over one of those 3 defensemen because of team depth.
So what is the reasoning for saying what he said publicly? I don't see a mastermind tactic in telling the world he won't be drafting LDs. Actually, it would be to his advantage to say publicly all options are in play. We can draft LD, RD, or forward depending on the situation.

Reactions: Runner77

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
So what is the reasoning for saying what he said publicly? I don't see a mastermind tactic in telling the world he won't be drafting LDs. Actually, it would be to his advantage to say publicly all options are in play. We can draft LD, RD, or forward depending on the situation.
Yeah, that's what I said. Saying that you won't take a left D at 5 reduces the value of the pick, so it would seem clear he's not playing mind games here.

Definitely not what he said
It's exactly what he said. Around the 25 minute mark:

Last edited:

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
For now :
Lindstrom : back injury and questionning I.Q.
Catton : not tall and no Crosby
Sennecke : late riser (not enough viewing)
Helenius : not tall and no Crosby
All great prospects

Iginla : , young, good shut and overall player, good on the boards.
My choice is Iginla, if Demigod is already taken.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't see Eiserman getting past the Sharks at #14. Granted he's not a Grier type, but he's the type of forward that would just about complete SJ's forward core if he pans out.

San Jose is going defense at 14. They haven't drafted a single defense prospect in round 1 in like 5+ years and their system is limited on defense.

They'd have picked Eklund, Will Smith, Bystedt, Celebrini, Musty, Haltunnen, Lund, Wiesblatt, Bordeleau in the top 35 of drafts since Merkley in 2018.

Reactions: Gustave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad