2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Folks are increasingly talking about Beckett Sennecke as a top 10 pick, and maybe top 5. He's worth thinking about with our pick.

He's a late developer that is still growing, after adding a few inches in the last year. HIs scoring is increasing rapidly even now in the OHL playoffs. I believe only Calum Ritchie is ahead of him in OHL playoff scoring.

I'd describe Sennecke firstly as a tall playmaker, I could see him getting 60+ assists a season in the NHL. But his incredible dangles are hard to miss. Some of the most beautiful end to end rushes you'll see.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Id trade up for a player like that, sounds like someone we desperately need. In 2 drafts adding players that hate to lose like Fantilli, Brindley and Surin would be very nice
The preliminary #20 pick by Chicago apparently is roughly equal in value to Columbus' 2nd and the two 3rds that they have in possession. For Surin, I'd do it. But it depends on the overall prognosis for his pick. As it stands right now, they could likely get him at #36.

I'm honestly not sure why Surin isn't ranked higher. He scores a fair amount and is a very complete, big physical player. I think maybe teams are scared off by how wild and angry he gets. But that's part of why I like him!

I would have him ranked around 13-17 but you rarely see him ranked in the 1st. So maybe a good target for us with pick #36.
The only criticism I've heard is that he is undisciplined and that, for whatever reason, it's not clear if his production will translate. Could it be that scouts either will focus on Russia between the end of the North American junior seasons and the draft or don't in general have someone to see him in person, to gauge how he acts off the ice as well? If it's the former, he might rise just before the draft. If it's the latter, some teams that like him might reach for him.

Honestly, if CBJ got Surin, I'd be very happy indeed.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
From today's The Athletic:

"Also, that year: Ilya Sorokin went in the third round, No. 78 overall, to the Islanders, and was immediately followed by Brayden Point at No. 79 to Tampa Bay.

If you ever want to agitate Columbus fans by playing the “what if?” game, you only have to remind them that the Blue Jackets had back-to-back third-rounders in 2014, Nos. 76 and 77, just before Sorokin and Point came off the board.

They picked Elvis Merzlikins and Blake Siebenaler instead."

Jarmo & scouts were amazing...:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: MAHJ71

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
From today's The Athletic:

"Also, that year: Ilya Sorokin went in the third round, No. 78 overall, to the Islanders, and was immediately followed by Brayden Point at No. 79 to Tampa Bay.

If you ever want to agitate Columbus fans by playing the “what if?” game, you only have to remind them that the Blue Jackets had back-to-back third-rounders in 2014, Nos. 76 and 77, just before Sorokin and Point came off the board.

They picked Elvis Merzlikins and Blake Siebenaler instead."

Jarmo & scouts were amazing...:sarcasm:
I mean... every team in the league passed on those players at least twice. Some three times. Past the first round, everything's a crapshoot, and by the middle of the third, it's pure revisionist history for the sake of being negative to point to someone taken seventy-ninth overall as a cudgel to bash a team for not taking. We could just as easily point to the very next draft and laud them for choosing Vladislav Gavrikov at 169th overall.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm honestly not sure why Surin isn't ranked higher. He scores a fair amount and is a very complete, big physical player. I think maybe teams are scared off by how wild and angry he gets. But that's part of why I like him!
Hard to know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. We like it until we don’t, or vice versa.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
Imagine that and Kent Johnson on a line together. Whew. Maybe Fantilli between them?
i don't think hes there at 4. he's too good of a skater and too talented to not be taken by 2 or 3

I've kind of fell in love with this year draft. i would like to see us try to get another pick in the top 20

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I watched a fair bit of Demidov and came away with him as my number two guy. But I don't know if that's a slam dunk pick for most teams.

He's 5'11 and got injured in the playoffs. That's one thing. Then you've got the Russian factor.

I also wouldn't put him in the Kucherov type of category where you could see him scoring 50 pts on the powerplay, Demidov is electric in motion but not in static position.

On the many Demidov vs Michkov debates, I would guess that Michkov might outscore Demidov, certainly on the PP. But Demidov I think will be the better overall player. His toughness and battle level and two-way commitment are all very good, I don't think he'll be any less than NHL average in those departments, and actually above average in battle level. But I haven't gathered that from scouting reports, and I'm not sure what the other clubs drafting high will say about it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I watched a fair bit of Demidov and came away with him as my number two guy. But I don't know if that's a slam dunk pick for most teams.

He's 5'11 and got injured in the playoffs. That's one thing. Then you've got the Russian factor.

I also wouldn't put him in the Kucherov type of category where you could see him scoring 50 pts on the powerplay, Demidov is electric in motion but not in static position.

On the many Demidov vs Michkov debates, I would guess that Michkov might outscore Demidov, certainly on the PP. But Demidov I think will be the better overall player. His toughness and battle level and two-way commitment are all very good, I don't think he'll be any less than NHL average in those departments, and actually above average in battle level. But I haven't gathered that from scouting reports, and I'm not sure what the other clubs drafting high will say about it.
How long before he can come stateside ?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How long before he can come stateside ?

One year.

Which is fine. He's not too far off but not quite NHL ready right now.

Russian posters are saying SKA might be forced to use him on their KHL roster because of a salary cap issue. That would be a great transitional step for Demidov.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I’m not going to lie, while normally I’m a “big” prospect guy, I can’t get myself to care about this draft. Don’t really care who we pick.

Just don’t reach too far or do anything crazy.

Reactions: Toe Pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I made a draft list.

It's just meant to be a concise snapshot. The description just provides the most basic info on how I perceive the player's upside, and any big risks.

1Macklin CelebriniCall purpose franchise center
2Ivan DemidovF80+ pt top line forward
3Zeev BuiumLD65 pt all around #1D
4Cayden LindstromFtopline power-forward, 2C floor
5Beckett SenneckeW70++ pt upside, big room for growth
6Michael Brandsegg-NygardFtopline forward, playdriver + shooter, 60 pts
7Berkly CattonW80 pt upside, but significant injury risk
8Artyom LevshunovRDflawed decisions but still a low end #1D
9Tij IginlaWhigh motor playdriving goal scorer
10Jesse PulkkinenLD#1D tools but needs to come a long way
11Carter YakemchukRD#1D “Brent Burns” tools, but big weaknesses
12Anton SilayevLDpure shutdown D, but a great one
13Konsta HeleniusCvery smart do-it-all player, very likely a 2C
14Sam DickinsonLDtop 4D that can skate pucks and handle D
15Yegor SurinCfiery Dubinsky type center, skill and strength
16Yegor ChernyshevWbig body hard skating Nichushkin type
17Zayne ParekhRDelite offense, improving D, big injury risk
18Adam JiricekRDcan skate pucks and hit, but not shoot

I don't dislike the D in this class. But several of the forwards have popped lately and pushed all but Buium down a bit.

I have a gap between 5 and 6. After that you can take players a few spots higher or lower depending on need.

But I don't see the Jackets having any particular positional need, so for me personally that doesn't factor in.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I made a draft list.

It's just meant to be a concise snapshot. The description just provides the most basic info on how I perceive the player's upside, and any big risks.

1Macklin CelebriniCall purpose franchise center
2Ivan DemidovF80+ pt top line forward
3Zeev BuiumLD65 pt all around #1D
4Cayden LindstromFtopline power-forward, 2C floor
5Beckett SenneckeW70++ pt upside, big room for growth
6Michael Brandsegg-NygardFtopline forward, playdriver + shooter, 60 pts
7Berkly CattonW80 pt upside, but significant injury risk
8Artyom LevshunovRDflawed decisions but still a low end #1D
9Tij IginlaWhigh motor playdriving goal scorer
10Jesse PulkinnenLD#1D tools but needs to come a long way
11Carter YakemchukRD#1D “Brent Burns” tools, but big weaknesses
12Anton SilayevLDpure shutdown D, but a great one
13Konsta HeleniusCvery smart do-it-all player, very likely a 2C
14Sam DickinsonLDtop 4D that can skate pucks and handle D
15Yegor SurinCfiery Dubinsky type center, skill and strength
16Yegor ChernyshevWbig body hard skating Nichushkin type
17Zayne ParekhRDelite offense, improving D, big injury risk
18Adam JiricekRDcan skate pucks and hit, but not shoot

I don't dislike the D in this class. But several of the forwards have popped lately and pushed all but Buium down a bit.

I have a gap between 5 and 6. After that you can take players a few spots higher or lower depending on need.

But I don't see the Jackets having any particular positional need, so for me personally that doesn't factor in.
I think Lindstrom fills a positional need. Either a 2c or a power forward W.

It will be interesting to see how many of the D fall as far as your list has them. Not criticizing your list just noting that it is different than most published lists.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Lindstrom fills a positional need. Either a 2c or a power forward W.

True but I see every club wanting that. No one is passing on power forwards.

It will be interesting to see how many of the D fall as far as your list has them. Not criticizing your list just noting that it is different than most published lists.

Well Levshunov is definitely going higher, almost certainly top 5. And I'd guess that Silayev and Dickinson would go in the 6-10 range.

Reactions: EspenK

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Assuming the CBJ pick 4th or 5th, should they look to bundle the pick with a player like Provorov to get a good veteran defenseman at the draft?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Assuming the CBJ pick 4th or 5th, should they look to bundle the pick with a player like Provorov to get a good veteran defenseman at the draft?
Just my opinion, but I don't think this team should consider moving a top 5 pick at this point. They could bring in Makar and they still have s ways to go. I have no issue with a future first and prospects or Provorov to bring in an upgrade but I just don't think this team should be moving potential franchise building pieces. Mid round or later... sure. Not top 5. Just my opinion.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
So essentially two 1sts (5OA + 21OA) and a 2nd for what Provorov was supposed to be??

Not a good idea IMO. As I said last year, we can get a #4 defenseman “for free” in free agency.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So essentially two 1sts (5OA + 21OA) and a 2nd for what Provorov was supposed to be??

Not a good idea IMO. As I said last year, we can get a #4 defenseman “for free” in free agency.

5th OA would get you a star player.

Provorov wouldn't have been available for a late 1st if he was that good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad