GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I mean to be fair, look at Florida, they only have a handful of drafted guys, the rest have been trade and FA acquisitions..

A top 5 pick seems like a legitimate building block though.

Barkov - 2nd OA
Tkachuk - 6th OA
Bennett - 4th OA
Reinhart - 2nd OA
Ekblad - 1st OA
OEL - 6th OA

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
And? You're more likely to get top end talent in the top 6-7 picks. Just make the pick.
I'm not necessarily arguing for that approach, just playing devil's advocate.

Over the last few seasons the Jackets have already picked at 3, 4(hopefully), 5, and 6.

We just don't have those 1OA guys that are truly gamechangers (looking at you Barkov)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
An extended Konecny is the only thing that would make me okay with moving down from 4 to 12.

Necas is very skilled but not worth it as a player, in my opinion.

In keeping with the Jackets wanting to make a splash, that would have to mean we would be trading a pick for a prominent player. We can't be trading down just for picks, that's not a splash. And it's easier to see it being Necas than Konecny, given that we know he's available.

Demidov and Lindstrom are too good for this. They're also both filled out and have a lot of polish and detail on their games already. This sort of deal often looks bad 5-10 years down the road, but we could be doing a deal that looks awful in as little as two or three years from now.

Frostybrew

May 20, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I wouldn’t trade down out of the top ten for that crap Philly offer. CBJ better be smart and just make the pick at 4 or make a team overpay to get that pick and not fleece us.

Reactions: LJ7

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm not necessarily arguing for that approach, just playing devil's advocate.

Over the last few seasons the Jackets have already picked at 3, 4(hopefully), 5, and 6.

We just don't have those 1OA guys that are truly gamechangers (looking at you Barkov)

The story of this franchise in its entirety, no? Always bad in the wrong draft years (or making dumb picks *cough MacLean *cough).

Johnson and Jiricek do seem to be struggling to lock down spots, so I'm hesitant to pencil them in yet as part of the long term core. Plus, who knows how Waddell views them. I say load up on another top 5 pick.

I don't understand why Philly would say no, if that offer is true. The 12th + what are essentially two second round picks for 4th OA?

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
If they trade pick, it going to probably be the biggest trade in franchise history. And I think it will be for be a player whose name we haven't seen linked to the CBJ yet.

Reactions: squashmaple

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
An extended Konecny is the only thing that would make me okay with moving down from 4 to 12.

Necas is very skilled but not worth it as a player, in my opinion.
I love necas but this is 100% correct.

…and on that note, my message board poster brain worms are compelling me to throw a "4oa+ for konecny & 12oa, then flip #12oa for cirelli" scenario out into the universe

edit: would also accept 4 for 12 + frost + another first, then flip 12 for necas

Last edited:

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
The story of this franchise in its entirety, no? Always bad in the wrong draft years (or making dumb picks *cough MacLean *cough).

Johnson and Jiricek do seem to be struggling to lock down spots, so I'm hesitant to pencil them in yet as part of the long term core. Plus, who knows how Waddell views them. I say load up on another top 5 pick.

I don't understand why Philly would say no, if that offer is true. The 12th + what are essentially two second round picks for 4th OA?
They are both basically 22 and 21 respectively. That is still young. Especially given their mismanagement last season to not even pencil them as part of the long term core. Unless they get flipped for something significant (mainly Johnson with this point) they deffo have the potential to be part of the core.

Reactions: CBJx614

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Friedman said he believes another team -Carolina- is involved in the CBJ-philly deal.

What if we wind up with 12OA & Necas, Philly gets #4 and Carolina gets Konecny ? I might be tempted but still think I wouldn't do it.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Friedman said he believes another team -Carolina- is involved in the CBJ-philly deal.

What if we wind up with 12OA & Necas, Philly gets #4 and Carolina gets Konecny ? I might be tempted but still think I wouldn't do it.
For me, the 12 is jut too far down, and adding Necas (or whomever the Flyers were initially offering) doesn't make up the difference. But maybe Donnie disagrees.

Reactions: Viqsi

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I'm trying to come to grips with us taking Lindstrom over Demidov. I think Lindstrom is an excellent prospect and I have him 3rd after Demidov, but passion on Demidov will haunt every team besides the sharks imo.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i interpreted friedman's statement as carolina bidding against philadelphia for #4 overall, not a three-team trade.

that said if there's a way that we could end up with #12 + necas + frost, i'd be open to moving the pick.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
i interpreted friedman's statement as carolina bidding against philadelphia for #4 overall, not a three-team trade.

that said if there's a way that we could end up with #12 + necas + frost, i'd be open to moving the pick.
I would think there's no chance they'd pull that kind of ransom.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I love necas but this is 100% correct.

…and on that note, my message board poster brain worms are compelling me to throw a "4oa+ for konecny & 12oa, then flip #12oa for cirelli" scenario out into the universe

edit: would also accept 4 for 12 + frost + another first, then flip 12 for necas
I don't see the point of adding another below average top 6 player. Get good prospects, +60 point players or defensive players at this point.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I don't see the point of adding another below average top 6 player. Get good prospects, +60 point players or defensive players at this point.
i'm not gonna pretend to be a morgan frost expert but purely going off of the athletic's player card for him, he was in the 92nd percentile defensively (and 58th offensively) for forwards last year. low key one of the best defensive forwards in the league according to that data.

he's still just 24 years old and is only making $2.1m this year. seems like an extremely good fit to pair with fantilli as a future 1-2 punch. he's basically a younger, cheaper anthony cirelli and is exactly the type of player they need to improve down the middle.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Is anyone aware of any pre-draft programs or is it straight into it at 7pm? Planning on man-caving it with pizza and beer so want to endure I’m prepared!

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
i'm not gonna pretend to be a morgan frost expert but purely going off of the athletic's player card for him, he was in the 92nd percentile defensively (and 58th offensively) for forwards last year. low key one of the best defensive forwards in the league according to that data.

he's still just 24 years old and is only making $2.1m this year. seems like an extremely good fit to pair with fantilli as a future 1-2 punch. he's basically a younger, cheaper anthony cirelli and is exactly the type of player they need to improve down the middle.
Either Torts effect, or he is nowadays a completely different player than who I've watched

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad