NHL Entry Draft 2024 NHL Draft Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Levshunov will be picked by Chicago but they will have a shot at Parehk and Yakemchuk. I think atleast one of those lefties is gone by the time the sens pick. I think its going to be more predictable than people think. I think theres a good chance they have the choice of Iginla, Buium, Dickinson, Yakemchuk and Parehk. One will be gone but there will be options. Id honestly really look at moving down to 9 if Calgary really wants Iginla.
I’d consider moving to 9 as well depending on the return.
If you know cgy is taking iginla (assuming he’s available or the trade is unlikely?) then it’s just one pick before we make our selection.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ceiling I think there's an honest argument for any of them, but gun to my head I'd say Parekh/Buium.

Floor is easier for me as I think Dickinson and Silayev could play a 3rd pairing role sooner than later.

I honestly don't know what to make of Iginla and Sennecke who both have nice attributes, but personally I'd have them below the other names you listed.
I think Silayev might have the highest ceiling in the draft and a pretty high floor. Which is why I think Anaheim takes him. If he fell to Ottawa that would be incredible. Hoping for Buium as a realistic target.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think Silayev might have the highest ceiling in the draft and a pretty high floor. Which is why I think Anaheim takes him. If he fell to Ottawa that would be incredible. Hoping for Buium as a realistic target.

That's fair too, it's hard to question the upside of a monster who can fly. I saw a Trouba comp somewhere and it's kind of stuck in my mind and is probably limiting my view of him a bit. The sky is definitely the limit for a guy with his size and skating.

Reactions: Alex1234

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think Catton can be a superstar. In fact this draft ahs incredible talen in the 1st round. I keep wavering on which dman, but it seems for many Dickinson is pulling away with his potential.

Personally, for me it would be anyone but Iginla. I feel another Boucher scenario there

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Catton can be a superstar. In fact this draft ahs incredible talen in the 1st round. I keep wavering on which dman, but it seems for many Dickinson is pulling away with his potential.

Personally, for me it would be anyone but Iginla. I feel another Boucher scenario there
Catton is tiny if he isnt an 80+ point scorer he will be a dime a dozen small skill guy. Iginla ripped his league apart this year then ripped up the U 18's these situations are nothing alike for Boucher. Wild and strange comparison.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I’d consider moving to 9 as well depending on the return.
If you know cgy is taking iginla (assuming he’s available or the trade is unlikely?) then it’s just one pick before we make our selection.
What would you want from Calgary?

I would legit have a hard time choosing between the two. Methot was mobile while being gritty af, but A-Train was a shot blocking hard hitting machine. Would be a great thread idea
I want both!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think there are maybe 5/6 guys who are likely on the table, barring a guy like Lev or Lindstrom falling, any of which would be fine picks at 7. Not sure there is any worry of a Boucher type pick, would be a very, very large reach for a guy like Greentree or Beaudin for that kind of shock

Dickinson
Iginla
Sennecke
Yakemchuk
Silayev
Buium

I'm not sure that the Sens will be looking at Catton, Demidov, Helenius or Parekh, for better or worse. The above group would be the guys I'd be expecting to be the talk around the table in Ottawa and Vegas.
I would not rule out Demidov or Parekh at #17 for our pick.

I would legit have a hard time choosing between the two. Methot was mobile while being gritty af, but A-Train was a shot blocking hard hitting machine. Would be a great thread idea
I want both!

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Agreed about both Catton and Iggy Jr.

I'm also worried about Yakemchuk.

Of the guys I think might be available, I'd be happiest with Parekh or Catton, quite happy with Silayev or Buium, and okay with Dickinson.

If we trade back and snag Eiserman that works for me too.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
What would you want from Calgary?
Assuming the Flames want Iggy and we make it seem like we're picking him, I hope we squeeze Conroy for Markstrom and send them back Forsberg

Brannstrom, Sokolov, 7th overall, and Boston's 1st for 9th overall, 28th overall and Markstrom

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Assuming the Flames want Iggy and we make it seem like we're picking him, I hope we squeeze Conroy for Markstrom and send them back Forsberg

Brannstrom, Sokolov, 7th overall, and Boston's 1st for 9th overall, 28th overall and Markstrom
Id probably just do it to take back Markstrom and dump Forsberg. Not sure they do that though, dont see anyone having interest in Brannstrom or Sokolov unfortunately.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Agreed about both Catton and Iggy Jr.

I'm also worried about Yakemchuk.

Of the guys I think might be available, I'd be happiest with Parekh or Catton, quite happy with Silayev or Buium, and okay with Dickinson.

If we trade back and snag Eiserman that works for me too.
you think Iginla is like Boucher?.... Actually? But you want Eiserman? Iginla was so much better than Eiserman at the U 18's. Eiserman is such a one dimensional perimiter player.

Catton struggled in the playoffs this year. Iginla set them on fire, I want players that can play when the games get harder. Iginla had 9 goals and 15 points in 11 playoff games. Catton had 4 assists in 4 games.

Then Iginla had 12 points in 6 games at the U 18's including scoring the gold medal winning goal.

I truly wonder if you guys have watched him at all. He can score from distance, he can score dirty goals, he has good vision. He really goes to the net hard with and without the puck, loves to play in traffic.

Reactions: Masked

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009

What’s the Boucher scenario?
You think he’ll get injured every year?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

#7 and Forsberg for #9 and Markstrom? No to that.

Brannstrom, Sokolov, #7 and #25 for #9, #28 and Markstrom? No to that too.

#7 and Korpisalo for #9 and Markstrom would be OK depending upon who is still available at #7. If Silayev, Demidov, Davidson & Parehk were still available at #7 I might do that trade.

EDIT: Change Davidson to Dickinson.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
#7 and Forsberg for #9 and Markstrom? No to that.

Brannstrom, Sokolov, #7 and #25 for #9, #28 and Markstrom? No to that too.

#7 and Korpisalo for #9 and Markstrom would be OK depending upon who is still available at #7. If Silayev, Demidov, Davidson & Parehk were still available at #7 I might do that trade.

EDIT: Change Davidson to Dickinson.
Its moving two spots you wouldn't make that deal? The second one is insane sens run to the podium to do that.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Its moving two spots you wouldn't make that deal? The second one is insane sens run to the podium to do that.
We need to dump one goaltender; don't need three. Would rather dump Korpisalo and his contract if we are going to give up 2 spaces on our two draft picks. The assumption is that Calgary is hot to get Iginla and fearful that another team will draft him.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Assume he means just not very good like Boucher, or would not be a good pick

Iginila definitely isn't like Boucher though, nearly completely opposite players and trajectories
Boucher is pretty good when healthy.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
We need to dump one goaltender; don't need three. Would rather dump Korpisalo and his contract if we are going to give up 2 spaces on our two draft picks. The assumption is that Calgary is hot to get Iginla and fearful that another team will draft him.
As much as CGY might want him, I don't know if Murray Edwards would go full nutjob and miss an opportunity to maximize a return for Markstrom. Even if the Flames don't get who they want, there's still enough elite prospects at #9 that they can continue on their retool/whatever they're doing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah Forsberg is going the other way... Thats a cap dump plus getting a very good asset in Markstrom back. To move 2 spots. Your expectations to move 2 places might not be realistic.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
you think Iginla is like Boucher?.... Actually? But you want Eiserman? Iginla was so much better than Eiserman at the U 18's. Eiserman is such a one dimensional perimiter player.

Catton struggled in the playoffs this year. Iginla set them on fire, I want players that can play when the games get harder. Iginla had 9 goals and 15 points in 11 playoff games. Catton had 4 assists in 4 games.

Then Iginla had 12 points in 6 games at the U 18's including scoring the gold medal winning goal.

I truly wonder if you guys have watched him at all. He can score from distance, he can score dirty goals, he has good vision. He really goes to the net hard with and without the puck, loves to play in traffic.
I didnt mean a direct comparison of iginla vs boucher, just that im not as high on him. I dont think he has the raw skill and vision that will translate to a star level player in the NHL.

I think he's a safe-ish pick but I want to swing for the fences and take guys that are demonstrating star level skill and vision.

I like Eiserman. His shot is world class and I think he's got decent vision and passing from the highlights and breakdowns of his game that I've seen. I don't think he'll be as one dimensional as people think.

I basically want players that are demonstrating elite level skills (with vision/iq, puck possession and playmaking at the top of the list) and I'm slightly less concerned about effectiveness or production or work ethic in junior.

Just show me you can make plays that the other guys can't. I don't want to just see you outwork them because it doesn't necessarily translate. Dirty goals and net driving doesnt get me all that excited when we're talking a top 10 pick.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I didnt mean a direct comparison of iginla vs boucher, just that im not as high on him. I dont think he has the raw skill and vision that will translate to a star level player in the NHL.

I think he's a safe-ish pick but I want to swing for the fences and take guys that are demonstrating star level skill and vision.

I like Eiserman. His shot is world class and I think he's got decent vision and passing from the highlights and breakdowns of his game that I've seen. I don't think he'll be as one dimensional as people think.

I basically want players that are demonstrating elite level skills (with vision/iq, puck possession and playmaking at the top of the list) and I'm slightly less concerned about effectiveness or production or work ethic in junior.

Just show me you can make plays that the other guys can't. I don't want to just see you outwork them because it doesn't necessarily translate. Dirty goals and net driving doesnt get me all that excited when we're talking a top 10 pick.
Have you watched any actual games? I watched most of the U 18's I dont know how anyone could possibly like Eiserman more than Iginla if you are watching more than highlites. Eiserman was a non factor against Canada like almost invisible. What do you think its going to be like against NHL defenses? You seem to like the players with the best youtube highlites I am not going to lie.

Work always translates, because no matter who you are in the NHL level you have to do it. You need both skill and work. The ability to play in traffic is an elite talent, everyone can shoot from the perimeter now. The fact you dont agree with that is simply mind boggling.

Also Iginla's gold medal winning goal was a rocket from distance. He also had a beautiful set up to tie the game, while Eiserman did absolutely nothing. Those are elite plays when the games on the line.

Hyman had 50+ goals by scoring in traffic.... Scoring in tight is where all the goals happen. Peremiter players are useless come playoffs.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Id probably just do it to take back Markstrom and dump Forsberg. Not sure they do that though, dont see anyone having interest in Brannstrom or Sokolov unfortunately.
Ya, Brannstrom is RFA and not under contract and Sokolov is just a throw in versus a desired asset in a trade so no idea why either would be mentioned in a trade. A lot of emphasis from some on a GM making dumb, bone headed trades, but I think Staois job will be much harder than that and grounded in reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad