GDT: 2024 NHL Draft Talk - Picked 2nd, 18th, 27th, 67th, 72nd, 92nd, 138th, & 163rd Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County
The potential pick swap with CBJ adds some credence to the story that KD wanted Demidov but the scouts generally agreed upon Levshunov. That’s actually good to hear in my opinion since ultimately Davidson trusts his scouts over himself. He’s not trying to be the smartest guy in the room
Also means some new scouts should be coming in if this draft turns into a massive L

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Each team has their own list. Obviously Hawks’ didn’t mesh with what the HF board wanted. And remember week or two ago he said they may draft different than the last two drafts and he for sure did that.

I am taking the wait and see approach to the picks. I am hoping that they all pan out and exceed expectations but we all know that won’t happen. I do try to be cognizant that these are kids and posting all this negative stuff cannot be good for them when reading it. But either way, hoping they all develop beyond expectations.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
That’s kind of the point, though. I’m not denying that most had Demidov ranked second, nor am I saying that people that ranked him second were wrong. But ultimately there was a debate and assorted teams ranked other players as better. Will the Hawks, Ducks, and Flyers all be right in their assessments? Maybe, probably not. But the point remained that there was wiggle room among teams and analysts, which by the very definition meant that there wasn’t consensus. It wasn’t a guaranteed McDavid then Eichel one and two or Tyler vs Taylor one vs two debate.

One team being very dumb and passing on a clear #2 happens, two teams doing that is weird, three teams doing means there apparently wasn’t actually a clear #2 in enough people’s heads. A supposedly second best forward in a given draft isn’t something that teams would aw shucks on because they already have forward depth unless there is a comparably high-ceiling defenseman. In that case, you have an argument for BPA and positional need, as maybe Chicago did. But then two other teams decided that other forwards were better in their view.

From Eliteprospects:

View attachment 889272

Mostly twos, but three people/groups had him at third, and one big outlier at seven.

3 teams passing on Demi means 3 teams had their own agenda on their board, that's how I see it. Team needs are different than analysts scouting for BPA. I mean, Columbus took a guy with freaking back injury history over Demidov.

And it looks like the second Anaheim passed on Demidov at 3 Kyle Davidson threw out an insane offer...

The draft was wild.

I don't see it as a gotcha kind of thing when NHL teams don't pick on consensus from publicly available rankings. I see it as just a normal thing that happens because teams are at a different place.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I''m not a fan of this draft so far , but at least they seemed to have address grit in the picks . Hopefully Vanacker and Boisvert have a shot at World Jr team this year .

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Demidov not #2 was disappointing but no one doubts Lev has good potential (The question is if he has top pairing potential)

Vanacker selection/trade up was ? but at least Vanacker is ok prospect and while IMO an overpayment nothing about trade to that spot was terrible in end just again value to get there and selection was not ideal

The shitshow at #18 though there is no spinning. The trade up was a f***ing joke and selection of player who is questionable at best when there was a hell of alot better/higher upside talent available.

#18 is when night went off tracks and should concern people about direction of this franchise under Davidson

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Btw I didn't have any premonitory dreams this morning about who we'd draft today

I did however have a nightmare that the Blackhawks selected Sacha Boisvert with their 18th overall pick...
It's funny how you're going to continue to harp on this like a little kid over the next 2-3 years while he develops, all while not even being able to properly evaluate him in the first place, and then you'll take months to eat crow if he hits. Kinda like you were with Vlasic, huh? Interesting.

Reactions: Pez68 and BHawks77

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Btw I didn't have any premonitory dreams this morning about who we'd draft today

I did however have a nightmare that the Blackhawks selected Sacha Boisvert with their 18th overall pick...

IMG_2695.gif

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Disagreeing with other analysts doesn’t necessarily mean that had agendas, they just viewed players different.

Again, we’re not talking about who is really ranked, say, 38th-42nd. There’s clear debate there, and never a consensus that deep. If Demidov was the one guy that everybody loved second to Celebrini, teams wouldn’t have passed on him. Seguin and Eichel wouldn’t have been passed on for obvious reasons on their respective draft nights, for instance.

Maybe teams didn’t like Dem’s competition, or the risk of being held back in Russia, or had behind-the-scenes off-ice concerns, or maybe he was a giant POS in interviews, or maybe the three teams that passed on him are just dumb and had a smartest-kid-in-the-room syndrome, I have no clue (though I doubt anything personally bad, as that’d leak). Maybe anything, or maybe just a simple explanation that the heads of three different teams thought that their teams would be better with someone else over him. And when we’re talking this early in the draft, I have a hard time imagining that agendas got in the way for not one, not two, but three different teams.

The simpler explanation is that the Hawks, Ducks, and Jackets thought that their guys were better. Time will tell.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Lucky. I had a nightmare that ants were eating my feet but my dead grandparents wouldn’t help because they were busy fishing through the television.

That’s a tame nightmare you’ve got there.

• Wow
Reactions: Kevin Musto

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He and Battaglia if they are available

Hawks need to add goal scorers to pipeline

And if Boisvert skating is fine at #18 with Davidson/etc they should have no issues with Battaglia skating
He's a good skater. This is how I know you either A. don't know what you're watching when you watch video, or B. you just don't/haven't watched video. Do you just like... go with Musto's opinion on things? :laugh:

He's literally the only one who started screaming about him being a bad skater, when anyone with a clue, both on here, and around the hockey world, says he's a strong skater.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Look LEV is not a disaster..ranked #3overall by Mckenzie poll of 10 actual NHL scouts...and thatcDemidov actually went After Senneckecand Lindstrom tells you tgatc3 NHL teams passed on the #2rated player because they saw more in other options..Size,Physicakityand in 2 caes positional prefereance/need won out to push Demidov down.
The fact he was 2points per game in MHL playoffs discounted to to relative weakness of MHL vs.CHL jr leagues ...also size physicality and in 2 of the 3 cases Positional preference/Need considerations won out and pushed hom down 3 spots ...Nobody expected ANAHEIM to take Sennecke at#3 above ranking but they projected a still growing 6'3 guy who was 2 points per game in playoff games he played in before getting hurt in a much better Jr.league to be the better bet than the smaller Demidov as an impact star.

They saw Sennecke gettibg better and better and they took a big swing.

NOW Demidov still coukd turnnoutvachighercscorer butSenbeck might be better all roubd at the same position (RW).

Tinecwill tell.

But my point is Hawks notvthevonlyvteam to pass onDenidov..Not that they all disliked him as a orosoect but ygatvtheyvhadcothervpisitiobal needs in 2 of the 3 cases and in all 3 cases (CHI,ANH and COLUMBUS ) size abdvphysical impact considerations won out).

I Hawks can tge chance forca coveted RD ..thebest rated Dman and most completec2 way dman and the fact he was a RD all made the decision a chance to fill a crying need on Hawks RD the correct STRUCTURAL decision best to fiture team success.We simply needed better RD abd LEV can start by replacing Murphyvat 2RD either this sessson or the one after.

Instead of focusing g on things we do not like about Levshunov.. ie. his non flashy'"stiff" style of skating and looking huncedcover toomuch alk which make him look unexciting and non flashy...his North South style..which removes "dynamic" from his game..and his d-zone need to improve on spatial awareness as play develops in his d-zone (which coaching and experience should help to improve in his game ) ,we shoukd INSTEAD focus on what he does well...transporting the puck...joining the rush in transition,fast skating,good 4 way mobility,physical edge to his game ,shot thatvhas uncanny ability to get through clogs and screens and onto the net fron the point,good pssing tape to tape ..He is not without good attributes.
You hope he improves with the defensive I Q. regarding spatial awareness recognitiobs intge d-zone..Whike he is good in gap control and stopping the rush into his zone...oncevin there he sonetines loses focus on where the opps most danger is coming from and is out of position for proper blocking...Hopefully they can improvevon that with 1 more season at MSU.

As to #18 and #27 picks..

KDgets an F on hisctrsdevmoves.

Considering Montreal gave up picks 26,57, and 198 to get pick #21 from L A. (Michael Hage)
Or
Considering ANH gave picks 31 and 58 to move up to pick #23 with Toronto(and toolSTaiAN SOLBERG).....

...I think KD could have gotte us pick #21
or pick #23 given our 2nd round draft capital

#34 and #50 isxequal to #31and#57 im my opinion but if Toronto wanted more to better the ANH offer we coukd have sent pick 163 also in a deal..

So I my view Solberg better valuecthan Vanacker and we should have bested ANH for him.

Or maybe #21...34+50 +72 vs.MTL offering L A 26+57+198..

I think Hawks did need bigger morevphysical players...
So I get why Boisvert over Hage ...in fact the McKenzie poll had Boisvertcat #22and Hagev only at#24..

In fact Hawks still couldvhave stayed atvoriginal #20 but and nit made a deal with NYI..

Boisvert would still be there at #20 in my opinion.. thatcslso would have keptvisxatv#54 and#61.

So with alk that we still should have bested tge Mobtreal offer for#21,OR thecAnaheim offer for#23.

We could had Solberg +Boisvert instead of just Boisvert +Vanacker

This is the opportunity cost from KD's bad misuse of his draft capital.

I would have taken Solberg ahead of Boisvert in our original #20 ...then used 34+ 54 (originally before NYI trade) + 72 and that should have been a better deal than Montreal offered L.A. for #21...if Boivert not yherexatc#21still could have gotten Hage or Surin.
Orvifvwecdealtvanf got #23 maybe Boivert still there ..if not then Surin stoll there.

Any if thisechails woukd be better than just Boisvert and Vanacker.

Not that they are bad picks.. butvwe coukda shoukda done Better if we had Solberg in our pipeline ..

I know our Need was less at LD..but our PHYSICALITY need is still there on the left side D ..Vlasic use leaning his frame and stick/reach to defend.. Solberg uses physical rugged play and agility to with his checks.. KK plays like a soft pansy for his size and must show more physicality andv/better stick work to show he can stop plays dead ..he is Not there defensiveky yet! ...Can he improve?.. I do not know. Ihopecso ..but Solberg woukd have been a 100% certain better defensive solution to stop pucks going so frequently into our .net

I know Solberg was 2LD solution.. 100% certain and would be huge physical intimidation thdv OUOur d-corps needs that.
A LEV -SOLBERG combo would be very very good..But KD blew his chance to get Solberg.. t

VANACKER went where he shoukd have (hecwas 28th in the Mckenzie rankingbpoll ofc19 NHL scouts...we got him 1 soitvearlier.
So a proper pick there..
BUT WE COULD HAVE DONE A LOT BETTER ..SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN #21or #23..and because we failed to do so...it cost us SOLBERG.

Therefore I do blame KD for not using his draft capital correctly.. he gets an F on his trades.
He failed to add Uber physical dman with 2 way ability ..Solberg there for us..but KD blew his opportunity.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Disagreeing with other analysts doesn’t necessarily mean that had agendas, they just viewed players different.

The simpler explanation is that the Hawks, Ducks, and Jackets thought that their guys were better. Time will tell.

Agenda is a bit of a harsh word I used.

For example, if I were to guess, I'd say the Hawks had Demi/Lev neck and neck. But, looking at Vlasic's monster year, looking at how Del Mastro has developed, they think they can do wonders with Lev's potential in a relatively short (for D men) period of time.

That's what I mean by agenda, teams aren't just "insert best guy here and he will be better." They look at a bigger picture.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Agenda is a bit of a harsh word I used.

For example, if I were to guess, I'd say the Hawks had Demi/Lev neck and neck. But, looking at Vlasic's monster year, looking at how Del Mastro has developed, they think they can do wonders with Lev's potential in a relatively short (for D men) period of time.

That's what I mean by agenda, teams aren't just "insert best guy here and he will be better." They look at a bigger picture.

Ah, gotcha. I took agenda as more… not evil, but you know what I mean.

All good.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1