Draft 2024 NHL Draft Prospects & Undrafted Free Agents

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Letourneau is a polarizing prospect. Of the 21 mock drafts included in the database on drafts that I linked to in an earlier post Letourneau ranges from 22 to 87 and Craig Button did not include him in his ranking of the top 64. Somewhere (can't find it now) there was an evaluation of him showing a range of being an NHL second line center to be a career AHL player.
He is a YOLO pick. Maybe if they trade down but I’d really rather not

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
Freij is a guy i've seen ranked from top 12 to mid 2nd round. He'd be an excellent pick

Yeah if he's there it would be amazing, Scouching's April rankings had him 5th. He looked pretty good the U18s too.

Seen a few mock drafts with Dean Letourneau, and Charlie Elick going to the Rangers with their 1st round selection. In the brief descriptions both seemed very interesting prospects.

Been going through draft guides on these two. Both have been torn apart really good by some scouts. On Letourneau multiple scouts are seeing a huge lack of effort and compete level. All say the skillset is there, and he certainly has the size.. On Elick, he comes with the ruff and tumble label. Big Hitter. Mean presence on the blueline. They all agree there with the physical aspect, but scouts are saying the skill just isn't NHL level.
From what I've watched of Elick he reminds me of Trouba and not in a good way. Big and mean, sure, but some god awful turnovers and handles the puck like its a grenade. Maybe I just watched the wrong games, but I was very unimpressed.

Cole Beaudoin is a name I could see the Rangers being interested in. Ranked by most scouts in the 30-40 range. His playstyle just screams playoff hockey

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Yeah if he's there it would be amazing, Scouching's April rankings had him 5th. He looked pretty good the U18s too.

From what I've watched of Elick he reminds me of Trouba and not in a good way. Big and mean, sure, but some god awful turnovers and handles the puck like its a grenade. Maybe I just watched the wrong games, but I was very unimpressed.

Cole Beaudoin is a name I could see the Rangers being interested in. Ranked by most scouts in the 30-40 range. His playstyle just screams playoff hockey

I was going to bring up Beaudoin myself. EP has him at 29th in their rankings, HP at 21. Adam Lowry, Boone Jenner, Andrew Copp as a few listed comps. Skating and skill aren't strengths, but very high compete and physicality. You don't get a 9 in Compete from HP without earning it

EDIT: To quote a previous BB:
"We rarely give out elite grades, which means PLAYER has a unique property to his game. When evaluating an elite compete level, we don’t just factor in how hard they work, it’s how smart they work."

"Thanks to his development primarily in the Extraliga, it gave him an opportunity to play full time against other professionals and he accelerated his
development. In that league, he learned that he couldn’t just overwhelm players, but needed to predict their skating patterns, predict when he should and shouldn’t dial up the physicality, and recognize when he should take his peddle off the gas instead of just playing at mach speed."

The quoted prospect ranking is Adam Sykora.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm kind of thinking Jesse Pulkkinen is going to be around at 30. He's an overager RD but he was also arguably Finland's best defenseman at the WJC's and Finland finished 4th so they made it to the medal round. Pulkkinen is also 6'7 220 or so lbs. and skates really well and throws his weight around. His stick skills are raw almost similarly to how K'Andre's was at about the time he was drafted. They're there....they just need to come out more. A main difference between him and K'Andre is Pulkkinen actually likes to hit people. My guess is he's going somewhere between 25 and 40/45 so he wouldn't really be a reach in my eyes.

If I had a guy I think it would be him.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
I was listening to the scouching mock draft, they mentioned they could see nyr really go off the board and draft…tanner hendricks. Ty’s brother. They said some team might gamble on him in the 2nd or 3rd but since nyr don’t have another pick until the 4th that could be a real dark horse pick. He fell off a cliff offensively this season but he’s a smooth skating w/some speed 6’3 rhd who needs a lot of work in other areas. I certainly hope nyr wouldn’t pick him in the first round but wouldn’t hate it if they waited for him in the 4th. I think they can wait until later esp since Mckeen has him projected 217. Seems like a good late round gamble.

Does anyone have a read on Luke Misa? He seems like he might be a good grab if NYR can trade down and grab a late 2nd. He's been ranked anywhere between 26-70. Esp with the NYR somewhat lack of high end potential centers.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I take it the Giant Norwegian D played himself out of range for the NYR yeah?
I've seen him mocked mainly between 10-20, so I'd imagine so. The spread in talent level thins out a lot after the top-5 or so in this draft, so I really wouldn't be shocked to see nearly the entire second half of this draft go against the consensus ranking. Teams will probably have their favorites and stick with them.

Milstein is doing his Russian camp today as well, so I'm sure that'll influence rankings a bit more than we'd expect since teams are likely only getting their initial observations in on some of those top prospects

Reactions: eco's bones

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I've seen him mocked mainly between 10-20, so I'd imagine so. The spread in talent level thins out a lot after the top-5 or so in this draft, so I really wouldn't be shocked to see nearly the entire second half of this draft go against the consensus ranking. Teams will probably have their favorites and stick with them.

Milstein is doing his Russian camp today as well, so I'm sure that'll influence rankings a bit more than we'd expect since teams are likely only getting their initial observations in on some of those top prospects

I read that he had a good showing at the worlds and that pretty much made it seem like it was curtains for him being around at 30.

Too bad, seems like he would have checked a ton of boxes for what this team needs now and later.

I doubt that this team takes a Russian player. The Kravtsov stench is going to hang around for a decade or until the FO turns over, which ever comes first. I hate completely neglecting an area because you got burned by one dumb f*** that was championed by someone who isn't even here anymore but it is what it is.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I read that he had a good showing at the worlds and that pretty much made it seem like it was curtains for him being around at 30.

Too bad, seems like he would have checked a ton of boxes for what this team needs now and later.

I doubt that this team takes a Russian player. The Kravtsov stench is going to hang around for a decade or until the FO turns over, which ever comes first. I hate completely neglecting an area because you got burned by one dumb f*** that was championed by someone who isn't even here anymore but it is what it is.

When a team is picking only 4/5 times a draft it's going to cut out different areas of the world and some maybe for a while. The main thing for me.....I don't care very much where a player comes from as long as he's a good player. I made a remark about our Swedish picks yesterday but the Rangers have a long history of drafting good/great Swedish players.....it's just that some of the latest ones (apart from Edstrom and Lundkvist....jury is kind of out on Ollas) haven't been good enough and were reaches where they were taken and among the worst players we've taken in recent drafts.

As far as Russian players in particular.....after the Ukraine thing began a Flyers goalie prospect signed with the Flyers but before he could get on a plane to come over kind of got shanghaied into their Navy.....I looked at that as a WTF! and at the same time Russia was also cut out of tournaments like the WJC's. It depends.....there was a Russian defenseman that Arizona took early in the 1st round last year I really liked. There are guys this year but I don't expect them to reach us. I wouldn't take a Russian for the sake of it. He needs to at least arguably be the best player when our turn comes around. Kravtsov kind of put me off tall, lanky players who rely too much on and take their skills for granted.....that could be someone from any country.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I'm kind of thinking Jesse Pulkkinen is going to be around at 30. He's an overager RD but he was also arguably Finland's best defenseman at the WJC's and Finland finished 4th so they made it to the medal round. Pulkkinen is also 6'7 220 or so lbs. and skates really well and throws his weight around. His stick skills are raw almost similarly to how K'Andre's was at about the time he was drafted. They're there....they just need to come out more. A main difference between him and K'Andre is Pulkkinen actually likes to hit people. My guess is he's going somewhere between 25 and 40/45 so he wouldn't really be a reach in my eyes.

If I had a guy I think it would be him.
LHD*

His upside is through the roof and fits our needs. Another pick I'd love. He might not be as refined as some of the other D's in the draft but I'd argue his tools are about as good as any of the other blue chip defenders. I legitimately think if he can polish up his game he can be one of the best defenseman in the entire draft

Reactions: eco's bones

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Steven Ellis and Will Scouch are high on RHD EJ Emery and undersized Center Teddy Stiga. Live show, don’t have a minute mark. Guessing 35 minute mark?
Both not to be projected to be 1st round picks:

Reactions: surlysailor

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Steven Ellis and Will Scouch are high on RHD EJ Emery and undersized Center Teddy Stiga. Live show, don’t have a minute mark. Guessing 35 minute mark?
Both not to be projected to be 1st round picks:

I didn't know Stiga was a C. EP has him listed as a LW. I'd totally be down with that if he was available at 30. His range on EP his anywhere from 13 to 68. Though a lot of those are prob mid season rankings before he went on a heater. Seems like a Drury type guy, USNDTP & heading to BC where Gabe is at. Maybe he can jump up to be his new center.

Reactions: bhamill

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Still believe Brooks is off on his take on Drury not having to hold a 1st round pick at the Las Vegas Sphere for Dolan, but if Larry is correct these are the teams with more than 1 pick in the 2nd round according to Tankiathon:

San Jose - 33, 42
Chicago- 34, 50
Anaheim- 35, 58
Utah - 38, 49, 65**
Seattle - 40, 63
Calgary - 41, 62
Pittsburgh - 44, 46
St. Louis - 48, 56
Nashville - 53-55
NYI -54, 61

Last edited:

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I didn't know Stiga was a C. EP has him listed as a LW. I'd totally be down with that if he was available at 30. His range on EP his anywhere from 13 to 68. Though a lot of those are prob mid season rankings before he went on a heater. Seems like a Drury type guy, USNDTP & heading to BC where Gabe is at. Maybe he can jump up to be his new center.
I thought Ellis’s take on Emery was a ringing endorsement. Said after speaking with top forwards that EJ was the toughest d-man to get around and even if they were able, Emery would run them.
Meanest player on the ice; nicest player off the ice.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Still believe Brooks is off on his take on Drury not having to hold a 1st round pick at the Las Vegas Sphere for Dolan, but if Larry is correct these are the teams with more than 1 pick in the 2nd round according to Tankiathon:

San Jose - 33, 42
Chicago- 34, 50
Anaheim- 35, 58
Utah - 38, 49, 65**
Seattle - 40, 63
Calgary - 41, 62
Pittsburgh - 44, 46
St. Louis - 48, 56
Nashville - 53-55
NYI -54, 61
Where did Brooks say this? Went back a bit and didnt see anything.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
If you want to add multiple 2nd's and theres a team out there with a desire/need for Lindgren, theres your deal.

He didn't.

Dreger said this first, Brooks actually came out and said it wasn't true.
If I’m reading your post correctly you have it backwards.
Dreger said Drury couldn’t trade the 1st and Brooks said it wasn’t true.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad