2024 NHL Draft: Play with no weenie, for Celebrini

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’m curious if NJ will pick MBN. Seems like a player they should be coveting.

I would have said Buffalo could use him too, but honestly, that's probably why they were okay with trading down. They should still be able to get him.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Brackett said they value hockey IQ/sense over everything else. With that in mind, I've heard a lot of positives about Helenius' hockey IQ/sense, but who else stands out in that regard?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Brackett said they value hockey IQ/sense over everything else. With that in mind, I've heard a lot of positives about Helenius' hockey IQ/sense, but who else stands out in that regard?
I feel like you really have to grind tape in order to figure this out.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I feel like you really have to grind tape in order to figure this out.

I'm just looking for opinions, whether that's people here who have spent a lot of time reading about these guys and watching stuff, or the "pro" scouts like Wheeler, Pronman, McKenzie, etc

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Hockey sense​

1. Zayne Parekh, RHD, Saginaw
  2. Zeem Buium, LHD, Denver
  3. Artyom Levshunov, RHD, Michigan State
  4. Macklin Celebrini, C, Boston University
Other names to know (in alphabetical order):

• Nikita Artamonov, LW, Torpedo
  • Berkly Catton, C, Spokane
  • Ben Danford, RHD, Oshawa
  • Ivan Demidov, RW, SKA
  • Linus Eriksson, C, Djurgarden
  • Tomas Galvas, LHD, Liberec
  • Konsta Helenius, C, Jukurit
  • Cole Hutson, LHD, U.S. NTDP
  • Aron Kiviharju, LHD, HIFK
  • Luca Marrelli, RHD, Oshawa
  • Henry Mews, RHD, Ottawa
  • Tomas Mrsic, C, Medicine Hat
  • Leon Muggli, LHD, Zug
  • Terik Parascak, RW, Prince George
  • Mac Swanson, C, Fargo
Buium and Parekh had dominant offensive seasons in the NCHC and OHL respectively and made themselves top-10 pick candidates, primarily due to their hockey sense. Parekh is an elite offensive player who sees the ice as well as anyone and has NHL PP1 type of poise. Buium makes a ton of plays as well and does so in motion.

I’ve heard criticism of Levshunov’s sense from some evaluators and I personally see the opposite. I think he’s a super creative and instinctive offensive player who makes a lot happen with the puck. He has the potential to run a first power play in the NHL due to how skilled and intelligent he is.

Reactions: AKL

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I'm just looking for opinions, whether that's people here who have spent a lot of time reading about these guys and watching stuff, or the "pro" scouts like Wheeler, Pronman, McKenzie, etc

Wheeler's take:

Smartest

The first five names on this list would all get an A-grade from me in hockey school. They either see the game or understand it at a different level than their peers. You could order them any which way but those are the players of the highest on-ice intellect for me in this age group. Konsta Helenius and Aron Kiviharju get it. Zayne Parekh identifies plays better than anyone in the class. Terik Parascak is right-place-right-time guy.

1. Konsta Helenius
2. Aron Kiviharju
3. Zayne Parekh
4. Macklin Celebrini
5. Terik Parascak
6. Berkly Catton
7. Jett Luchanko
8. Zeev Buium

Honorable mentions: Lucas Pettersson, Sam O’Reilly, Linus Eriksson, Mac Swanson, Cole Hutson, Clarke Caswell, Max Plante, Ondrej Becher, Tomas Galvas.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So this tells me we're picking Helenius or Parekh, if I had to make my guess now
Catton or Helenius would be my preference. Here is what Wheeler had:

Smartest

The first five names on this list would all get an A-grade from me in hockey school. They either see the game or understand it at a different level than their peers. You could order them any which way but those are the players of the highest on-ice intellect for me in this age group. Konsta Helenius and Aron Kiviharju get it. Zayne Parekh identifies plays better than anyone in the class. Terik Parascak is right-place-right-time guy.

1. Konsta Helenius
2. Aron Kiviharju
3. Zayne Parekh
4. Macklin Celebrini
5. Terik Parascak
6. Berkly Catton
7. Jett Luchanko
8. Zeev Buium

Honorable mentions: Lucas Pettersson, Sam O’Reilly, Linus Eriksson, Mac Swanson, Cole Hutson, Clarke Caswell, Max Plante, Ondrej Becher, Tomas Galvas.

Whatever we do, please for the love of god do not take Kiviharju. I don’t think I could handle another midget defender.

Wheeler's take:

You beat me to it!

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Reactions: BagHead

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I still don't believe Catton would be available to us, but would love to have him.
My weird predication is that the only way that Catton falls to us is if Iginla is available for Calgary at #9. And if Iginla is available at #9, then Catton will fall to us.

Last edited:

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Are there any players people hope are picked before Minnesota’s pick?

Hoping for most/all these to be gone - Catton(so we don't pass on him), Parekh, Eiserman, Sennecke, MBN
1 going would be great - Solberg, Luchanko, Connelly, Jiricek

Artamonov and Eriksson both demonstrated it in pro leagues, though they won't be in discussion at 13.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Hockey sense is such a hard thing to evaluate. I find that scouts often just throw that out when there's no defining traits that match a player's high production. Helenius, for example, produced very well in a mens league, but isn't an amazing skater, has average skill, is undersized, and doesn't win battles at an above average rate. Only thing that can explain the production then must be sense, right?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hockey sense is such a hard thing to evaluate. I find that scouts often just throw that out when there's no defining traits that match a player's high production. Helenius, for example, produced very well in a mens league, but isn't an amazing skater, has average skill, is undersized, and doesn't win battles at an above average rate. Only thing that can explain the production then must be sense, right?

I just look at it as, is he making the right play most of the time, and can he learn and adapt in-game on the fly

Reactions: BagHead

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I just look at it as, is he making the right play most of the time, and can he learn and adapt in-game on the fly
That’s how I look at it too. Takes a lot of film crunching to be able to grade that tho

Reactions: AKL

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That’s how I look at it too. Takes a lot of film crunching to be able to grade that tho
It's one of those things that becomes obvious when you watch a team regularly, and not just scoring clips. Very few clips show a whole bunch of puck battles, but one of my favorite ways of judging players is how many of them that they win. If you watch Brodin, he almost never loses one in the D zone, unless he is ganged up on. Granlund used to be surprisingly good in the O zone winning board battles.
Merrill is atrocious.

There are a bunch of other factors, but if you have a team that wins 60% of their puck battles you have a winning team. The Panthers are an example of that. I don't know how they changed the culture there, but it was a striking difference, even before Huberdeau was traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad