2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wheeler’s final(?) top-32 ranking is out, broken into tiers.

1. Celebrini

2. Demidov
3. Levshunov

4. Buium
5. Parekh
6. Eiserman
7. Dickinson
8. Catton
9. Helenius
10. Silayev
11. Lindstrom

12. Iginla
13. Yakemchuk
14. Brandsegg-Nygard
15. Hage
16. Sennecke
17. Connolly

I have the same top-4, but my list differs from his a bit after that. Seems reasonable to me other than Eiserman way too high for me, Parekh a little high, and Lindstrom a little low.

Bob’s list is out this afternoon, that will be the one to watch.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

Really great article and insight.

I wasn’t that familiar with Cole Beaudoin before but after reading Wheeler’s piece, he sounds like a total Grier player.

Also, theres a few high profile Coles in this draft! Eiserman, Hutson, Beaudoin…
cole.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TealManV

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Wheeler’s final(?) top-32 ranking is out, broken into tiers.

Bob’s list is out this afternoon, that will be the one to watch.
Fun read, Wheeler says he does a top-100 in June before the draft as his final list.

Excited for Bob's list. That + Pronman will be the most interesting for me, since they're trying harder to reflect scout reality.

Agreed with you that Parekh and Eiserman have probably slipped and this is too high, but I think Dickinson has solidified as the good but not exciting top 6 pick. I think he could still go top 3 depending on team taste.

Desperately hoping that we have a choice between one of Yak, Sennecke, MBN at 14. Personally resigned to the stress of having Levshunov as our top D pick at 3OA, because I am more worried about his downside risk as we have all spoken about extensively. I'm actually guessing Chicago goes for Demidov if they're 2OA.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Fun read, Wheeler says he does a top-100 in June before the draft as his final list.

Excited for Bob's list. That + Pronman will be the most interesting for me, since they're trying harder to reflect scout reality.

Agreed with you that Parekh and Eiserman have probably slipped and this is too high, but I think Dickinson has solidified as the good but not exciting top 6 pick. I think he could still go top 3 depending on team taste.

Desperately hoping that we have a choice between one of Yak, Sennecke, MBN at 14. Personally resigned to the stress of having Levshunov as our top D pick at 3OA, because I am more worried about his downside risk as we have all spoken about extensively. I'm actually guessing Chicago goes for Demidov if they're 2OA.
Yeah, this is my shortlist for ideal candidates at 14. Obviously Silayev, Helenius, Iginla, Parekh if they fall as well, but I think that’s less likely.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think if Levshunov isn’t available at, say, 3, and we’re picking there, I can see us going for Buium. Don’t think Grier is picking Demidov and can see him still grabbing the best D available.
My wishlist is:

1. Celebrini
2. Levshunov
3. Buium

I’ll be exceptionally curious if Grier would be willing to take Demidov at 2/3–I would be more than okay with it, even though I’d prefer Lev/Buium.

I’m slightly concerned that Bob’s scouts still have Silayev so high, seems really f***ing insane to me. I’m not hugely worried that Grier would go for him but does make me a little nervous.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Bob's list is out, and the pro scouts confirm that it's a mess after 1OA.

"As one scout put it, “Celebrini is going No. 1, but the next five or six teams [picking after No. 1] might all get the No. 2 prospect on their [respective] lists. There’s that much varied opinion [on the top prospects after Celebrini].”

The lack of clear consensus beyond Celebrini — from No. 2 through to No. 10 and beyond — would be unprecedented. I’ve been doing draft rankings like this one for more than 35 years, and I don’t recall a year where the Top 10 is such a hodgepodge of opinion.

Will that change between now and TSN’s final draft rankings, which will be compiled in early June and released the week prior to the NHL draft in Las Vegas, June 28-29?

Perhaps, but this draft may simply have a lot of really good prospects with maybe not that much separating them, which may well put an even greater premium than usual on each club’s individual likes, dislikes, preferences and/or needs — big vs. small; offensive vs. defensive; forward vs. defenceman; skilled vs. physical."
And another example
The five prospects ranked from Nos. 11 to 15 “earned” those spots, relative to the 10 ahead of them, but there were some notable asterisks amongst them.

Yakemchuk, for example, is a consensus No. 12 but had two top-five votes; Eiserman slots in at No. 13 but three scouts had him firmly in their top 10; Sennecke is No. 14 but had one top-five vote and two more in the top 10.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If you follow both teams then you know that one needs Celebrini much much more than the other. Do the right thing. Use your birthday wish for good.

Very true, if you look at this with recency bias. The Jackets have won 1 series.

EVER.

EVER EVER.

Although I can see the idea that rewarding decades of failure rather than rewarding the club that always went all-in when they had a chance until the bottom fell out isn't ideal.

.....I'm talking myself out of my original position. LOL.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Very true, if you look at this with recency bias. The Jackets have won 1 series.

EVER.

EVER EVER.

Although I can see the idea that rewarding decades of failure rather than rewarding the club that always went all-in when they had a chance until the bottom fell out isn't ideal.

.....I'm talking myself out of my original position. LOL.
So you’ll agree that the Sharks are more deserving. ;)

What I mean is that the Jackets already have their future star #1C in Fantilli. They don’t need Celebrini like we do.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Do the Sharks have an 18.5% chance of winning the lottery or getting the first pick (in the case of a team 12th or later winning the lottery and the Sharks still getting the first pick)?

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Because I am way unhealthily too hyped for us picking #3OA after tomorrow, I took all the info from the Bob McK write-up and listed out the definite top 5 ranking spreads, and guessed-at top 10's. There's enough info in the article to get the top 5's 100% right (in teal shades), but the 6-10 rankings distros I had to guess at (grey shades) using the 1) overall final ranking 2) info about how many diff players were ranked 6-10 and 3) specific info about e.g. Eiserman and Sennecke's #'s in the 6-10 range.

Further analysis that mostly confirms what we already know:
  • Lev is more polarizing than Silayev but "slightly" more upside with 3 ranking him 2OA.
  • Lindstrom is solid but nobody thinks he should go 2.
  • Dickinson has one fewer upside believer than Parekh but obviously more solid after that.
  • Helenius has one believer but falls behind because otherwise nobody thinks he's a top 5 (or possibly even top 6).
  • Eiserman is polarizing, but now his polarization is whether he's a 6-10 pick or a 15+ pick, apparently.
  • Sennecke has some true believers at 5OA into 6-10.
  • Connelly is polarizing too but potentially very few see him as a top 10 talent. Which is why I still think he'll fall far.
1715023708849.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad