2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I’m not advocating for taking Connolly on account of his off-ice issues, but you don’t pass on a 6’1” 17 year old because he’s a little underweight. And he’s absolutely as skilled as Smith.
Smith was putting up 2 points per game in the USHL and NTDP at the same age as Connolly.

So if he is just as skilled as Smith that skill isn't showing up exactly on the scoresheet like it should be.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Smith was putting up 2 points per game in the USHL and NTDP at the same age as Connolly.

So if he is just as skilled as Smith that skill isn't showing up exactly on the scoresheet like it should be.
Smith was being carried by his linemates (/s)

In all seriousness, Connolly throws off even more Zegras vibes than Smith. Smith started to round out his game a bit - has Z ever even attempted to? I know that at this point Smith hasn't proven a single shift in the NHL so it's not like he's better than Z, but stylistically there does seem to be a bit more daylight than there was at the draft. Connolly however strikes me as extremely similar.

Not my style of player, not my style of personality, but what I think doesn't matter... Don't think he's Grier's, either. really doubt we take him at 14.

Eiserman will be one of many interesting players to watch... Does he get picked up in the top 5-7 because "you can't teach goal scoring" or does he drop to 15-20 because everyone gets scared he's too one dimensional and doesn't have the right attitude (or size/tools) to build out a complete game? Honestly so many interesting narratives... Pretty much every player in the top 15 has an interesting draft narrative.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

1. Surely you aren’t trying to compare playing in random USHL team X to playing on the greatest NTDP line of all time.
2. Smith has a higher IQ.
3. Being as skilled is not the same as being as good.

Reactions: Sandisfan

bigsjfan

Jul 25, 2010
St John's, NL

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Definitely. I wouldn’t hate him at 14, he’s the type of player every team wants, even if he doesn’t have the upside that some other guys would have. MBN is maybe a bigger and more skilled Zetterlund.
I also think that a potential line of Eklund-Celebrini-MBN would be dynamite in a couple years with a great balance of skills and player archetypes. Can put them in all zones and tough matchups and realistically expect to come out on top most nights based on skillsets and responsibility (while also packing offensive punch).

Then hopefully have a more sheltered offensive line of Musty-Smith-?? and you start to actually look like a NHL team. That obviously relies upon going 5 for 5 on 1st rounders, but I don't think that's too much of a reach given 4/5 of those will be top 15 picks (and Musty would be as well if there was a 2023 Redraft today).

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Seems like the kid is working hard on learning from his choices and genuinely is bettering himself. I personally would give the kid a chance as long as he keeps on the path to be better and doesn't create anymore issues.
I think the same. What we all know now versus the choices we made during our teen years is night and day.
If Trevor has been making the hard attempts at cleaning up his mistakes, he’s done more than most.
I think he’s done well for himself and is going to be a sneaky pickup for some teams, why not us?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yea, that whole thing smells of someone who spent too much time on 4chan as a teen and went too far down the alt-right pipeline. It is possible to get out of that but you have to actually prove it first.
There will be other good prospects available at 14th. Trevor can have fun playing in the KHL with his buddy Mitchell Miller.

And before people make the argument that other prospects/players share his views...of course they do but at least they're not stupid enough to broadcast it publicly.

Reactions: Jargon and DG93

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Yea, that whole thing smells of someone who spent too much time on 4chan as a teen and went too far down the alt-right pipeline. It is possible to get out of that but you have to actually prove it first.
How does one prove that exactly

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
f*** that. I don't want a Nazi on the team. How are you people even debating this?
OIP.jpg

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
f*** that. I don't want a Nazi on the team. How are you people even debating this?
Yep cause that’s what happened. It wasn’t a stupid picture that he didn’t even do.

You want to talk about the coaching and team stuff? Sure. The picture is a non issue at this point and you calling him a Nazi is a f***ing disgrace. Fitting for you though.

The real story: Connelly’s friend made a nazi symbol out of books and Connelly posted a Snapchat picture of it. Within 10 minutes he had taken it down and claimed he didn’t know backstory. Whether you believe that or not, he has volunteered for years and went through some sort of education/program for it.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yep cause that’s what happened. It wasn’t a stupid picture that he didn’t even do.

You want to talk about the coaching and team stuff? Sure. The picture is a non issue at this point and you calling him a Nazi is a f***ing disgrace. Fitting for you though.

The real story: Connelly’s friend made a nazi symbol out of books and Connelly posted a Snapchat picture of it. Within 10 minutes he had taken it down and claimed he didn’t know backstory. Whether you believe that or not, he has volunteered for years and went through some sort of education/program for it.
And using a racist slur against an opposing player? I guess that was somebody else too?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Someone old enough to have snapchat is old enough to know the significance of what a Nazi symbol represents and that it is very bad.

Reactions: DG93

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
And using a racist slur against an opposing player? I guess that was somebody else too?
Something that he was cleared of because there was no evidence of. Good call!
Someone old enough to have snapchat is old enough to know the significance of what a Nazi symbol represents and that it is very bad.
Well that ain’t true at all. Pretty sure he was 13-14 which yes probably should know but school system suck with history.

Should he have known better? Probably and very easily argued. Should he be prosecuted and exiled for a stupid mistake at 13-14 that he has taken steps to correct? f*** no and anyone arguing he should is dumb and playing some weird revisionist game. Everyone makes mistakes. It’s how you come back from those mistakes and what steps you take to right those mistakes.

Edited to add: these are all things that Grier and team need to absolutely grill him on. I’m not saying we should just ignore this but we also have 0 info on it. Both of these instances are not what I’d hold against him.

Last edited:

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
For those who pay for it, there was a whole investigative article about Connolly in the Athletic a few months back. tl;dr the swastika thing was one thing, but the article spent more time giving airtime to perspectives from coaches (generally supportive and thought he was a good kid with a bad rap who is trying to grow and learn) and ex teammates and parents (generally thought he was a piece of shit that trouble always followed, which is why he's bounced around teams and schools etc).

There's no way to know the truth and the public facing campaign by the kid and his parents is clearly trying to show he has changed and is growing, but there's a lot of smoke and the GM who picks him will have had to do their diligence. I personally would steer well clear.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I so rarely wade into these types of conversations. Zero issue with those who'd have him on the DND. Do take issue with some of the commentary, though I respect the difference.

I absolutely wouldn't draft him at 14. I don't think he'll be the best player, but even if he was, you pass. Would I draft him at 33 or 42? No, still too risky.

That being said, he was 13? I was such a moron at 13, I am hesitant to have him damned for all time. I didn't have any anti-semitic remarks- and I was a pretty good kid. But I had a few minor brushes with legal struggled in my early teens, and I had the benefit of iPhones not being everywhere. I guarantee some things I did could have been painted far more negatively if cameras were everywhere. None of those things would have been naming a teammates' building blocks of a Swatstika, 'creations' however. There's enough smoke here that I'd pass on drafting him in the top two rounds, and I think I'd feel weird about taking him at all. I also trust Grier to make good decisions on these types of things.

That said, I'm uncomfortable that this action- stupid, hurtful, and ignorant though it definitively was- resulting in him being called a nazi. I heard a quote, can't remember where, but it was something along the lines of 'what do you call the good people in Europe who supported the nazis? Answer: Nazis'. I think there's truth to that, yet, given his age, I think he can be shown a bit of grace. I'm grateful I was.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Enough about Connolly, let’s get this guy.

A draft crush of mine.

Growth spurt so he's 6'3 now and plays at a ridiculous pace. Soft hands, relentless forechecker, loves to take the body and is constantly pushing the boundaries of his creativity.

Massive riser in this class, I could see a team falling in love with his skillset and his enormous ceiling and taking him fringe top 10.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
A draft crush of mine.

Growth spurt so he's 6'3 now and plays at a ridiculous pace. Soft hands, relentless forechecker, loves to take the body and is constantly pushing the boundaries of his creativity.

Massive riser in this class, I could see a team falling in love with his skillset and his enormous ceiling and taking him fringe top 10.
I love seeing Sennecke rise because it means either that he’s a good value pick at 14 or that someone took him before us, which means someone else could fall to us that I like even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad