2024 NHL Draft Picks 11, 43, 75, 107, 108, 171, 203, 222 (Draft on 6/28 and 6/29)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They could go the Brandon Beane route...

If you may have noticed, I don't give a flying f*** about how the Bills do business or the NFL in general. Them trying to force-feed that "marketing synergy" is a waste of air.

Of course lots have talent, but plenty of evaluators have judged him to have more talent than all but 5-10 players in the draft. There's seems to be a bit of a moral panic stemming from the Hockey Canada stuff, the Blackhawks, Mitchell Miller, etc. Personally, I don't think what Connelly did as a young teen should be bundled in with all that.

He's also 3-4 years away from playing in the NHL. If the Sabres remain young and without a strong culture by the time he would be onboarding to the big team, we have far bigger problems. I don't think he's the right pick at 11, so much of this is moot, but I also don't think he's a ruined human who deserves to be blacklisted. But if we trade down to 18-20, I'd be very interested to see your positivity tested.

He's been doing all the "work" as they say, in terms of PR/DEI rehabilitation. The quotes in this article from those involved who don't stand to benefit from his success or failure sound genuine to me, but none of us can know for sure.

It started before he was a teen and has continued into his teenage years. There is no reason to draft him.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Of course lots have talent, but plenty of evaluators have judged him to have more talent than all but 5-10 players in the draft. There's seems to be a bit of a moral panic stemming from the Hockey Canada stuff, the Blackhawks, Mitchell Miller, etc. Personally, I don't think what Connelly did as a young teen should be bundled in with all that.

He's also 3-4 years away from playing in the NHL. If the Sabres remain young and without a strong culture by the time he would be onboarding to the big team, we have far bigger problems. I don't think he's the right pick at 11, so much of this is moot, but I also don't think he's a ruined human who deserves to be blacklisted. But if we trade down to 18-20, I'd be very interested to see your positivity tested.

He's been doing all the "work" as they say, in terms of PR/DEI rehabilitation. The quotes in this article from those involved who don't stand to benefit from his success or failure sound genuine to me, but none of us can know for sure.

Too many red flags. I'm sure Adams will pass and I'll be happy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Didnt they cut the punter over allegations that didnt have any charges
They have been inconsistent with respect to these things. Yes, they cut Matt Araiza who was being investigated by police, being sued in a civil case, and was not 100% forthcoming to the Bills about the situation in the run up to the draft.

Then they backed Von Miller last year when he had another DV situation where his partner called 911 saying he was abusing her only to walk it back in the days that followed. And now this signing of Steveson.

I would hope that the Sabres go another direction if they have a first round pick. But, I would not be 100% shocked if they decided to bet on the talent, either.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Clearly the consensus on this board is that Connelly is DND, but the devil's advocate in me is curious.

This summer we're talking about adding edge, meanness, even violence to a team that has earned and seemingly sought a reputation for being chickenshit. Do we not need a few more psychos in the mix? I understand that some view Connelly as a more extreme case, but I've known plenty of problem kids who eventually grew up and channeled their crazy into effective intensity. And he's a freaky offensive talent to go along with his screw loose.

Speaking of Beane, after the draft he said something about always having to balance the roster with both the alter boys and the dawgs/crazies. Florida has a lot of crazies by today's NHL standards. I'm not saying that bullying teammates and making sketchy tweets equals becoming the next Sam Bennett, but some team is going to draft Connelly, likely in the first round, and attempt to mold him into a decent adult. I don't necessarily buy that the Sabres have to be the ones staking out the moral high ground.

Connelly is not particularly physical. Mean to teammates and others? Sure. Not necessarily mean to opponents.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The most interesting thing that can happen at 11 to me is Catton falling. Because I would be 1000% certain he is at the top of their board. Like…zero chance he isn’t the highest rated by the analytics department they built. He’s the falling value without question in this scenario. With the same perceived defect that saw Benson and Savoie fall from where they had them ranked (much higher).

It would be the most interesting thing not just because the analytics guys will have him first…but at 11 the old school scouting guys likely do to. And I’m dying to know if they completely stick to the board in this scenario or not. Like…fascinated by it.

Adams was already aware of it when they took Benson last year. But it didn’t stop him and was unquestionably the right pick. Which you would think gives the confidence to do it again and just take the groans and nonsense from the size and jam section. Imagine if he passed on Benson because Rosen, Savoie and Ostlund are smaller guys? A giant mistake.

Now…he knows what trade talks he’s having so it’s entirely possible he’s like…oh thank god I’m moving one or two of these guys out and Catton slips right in anyway.

But I think about it in terms of something Baker said last night in regards to trading 11. The missing parts in their prospect pipeline aren’t usually acquired in round 1. Day two you can target bangers and toughness all you want…you get high end skill player with top six/top four upside in round 1. We just happened to have drafted a ton of it lately because we never move futures out. Which means, to me, if they keep the pick…and Catton falls for the same reason Catton’s fall…they’d probably take him. Obviously moves have to be made but what you’re moving out is exactly what would make people say don’t take another smaller forward anyway.

And if he was there and they went for a different type they don’t have to fill out the pipeline…I get it and I’m sure they wouldn’t reach too far anyway. Doubt they’d jump two tiers on their board for example. But I’ll always think it means they blinked.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

The most interesting thing that can happen at 11 to me is Catton falling. Because I would be 1000% certain he is at the top of their board. Like…zero chance he isn’t the highest rated by the analytics department they built. He’s the falling value without question in this scenario. With the same perceived defect that saw Benson and Savoie fall from where they had them ranked (much higher).

It would be the most interesting thing not just because the analytics guys will have him first…but at 11 the old school scouting guys likely do to. And I’m dying to know if they completely stick to the board in this scenario or not. Like…fascinated by it.

Adams was already aware of it when they took Benson last year. But it didn’t stop him and was unquestionably the right pick. Which you would think gives the confidence to do it again and just take the groans and nonsense from the size and jam section. Imagine if he passed on Benson because Rosen, Savoie and Ostlund are smaller guys? A giant mistake.

Now…he knows what trade talks he’s having so it’s entirely possible he’s like…oh thank god I’m moving one or two of these guys out and Catton slips right in anyway.

But I think about it in terms of something Baker said last night in regards to trading 11. The missing parts in their prospect pipeline aren’t usually acquired in round 1. Day two you can target bangers and toughness all you want…you get high end skill player with top six/top four upside in round 1. We just happened to have drafted a ton of it lately because we never move futures out. Which means, to me, if they keep the pick…and Catton falls for the same reason Catton’s fall…they’d probably take him. Obviously moves have to be made but what you’re moving out is exactly what would make people say don’t take another smaller forward anyway.

And if he was there and they went for a different type they don’t have to fill out the pipeline…I get it and I’m sure they wouldn’t reach too far anyway. Doubt they’d jump two tiers on their board for example. But I’ll always think it means they blinked.
Depends on who else falls and in general it is difficult to predict who they will like, there are many interesting options.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
There's a report out there that Lindstrom's injury is a herniated disc, which is what Eichel had. What if he falls because of that, the Sabres draft him... and then let him get the surgery.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Yeah dude, Surin is a real Russian bear.
I like Chernyshov as he's Tarasenko-lite in that he'll throw a check and use his body to protect the puck, but Surin takes names and seeks retribution

Won't be be available in the second round.
I don't think he's lasting past 25. Best I hope for is that Miettenen is still available in the 2nd

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
If that's the problem with the kid.. sketchy tweets and a little verbal hazing than I see it as a non-issue ... but I doubt Pegula does.

Just keep your mouth shut Kevyn
I live in SoCal, and trouble has followed this kid to every single stop he's made. It's quite a track record. So if you're not concerned that he's just another smallish, skill-no-grit, forward -- you might want to think about the wisdom of throwing away a high first round draft pick on a kid who has given fair warning to everyone who's paid attention that he's unfit for professional hockey. Personally, I have little doubt that the Sabres have crossed him off their list a year or two ago.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Do we take Lindstrom at 11 if he goes down with his injury? It's little scary that the guy plays a lot of physical game and it's the same injury as Eichel.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The more I read about Sennecke it sounds like he will go top 5. It wouldnt surprise me

I switched my pick from Yakemchuk to Sennecke at 11 if he is there. He sounds like he is everything Buffalo is lacking and needs.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Do we take Lindstrom at 11 if he goes down with his injury? It's little scary that the guy plays a lot of physical game and it's the same injury as Eichel.
Pass...Take Sennecke if he is there. I think he has all the tools to be a star.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad