2024 Main Training Camp Thread (Update 10/06: Cooley, Schwindt & Pelletier waived) 27 players left in camp: 3G, 8D, 16F

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Pelletier played himself off the team. He got tons of rope in pre-season and couldn’t make it stick.

Failing on the Backlund line was the last straw and teams around the league will have noticed that

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Gutsy move if it's true, but Conroy and co made it clear that spots weren't guaranteed. Pelts sadly didn't do anything to earn an opening day spot over Klapka, Honzek or Coronato. If he does get claimed I'll definitely miss his golden retriever personality and good vibes

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Mike Gould has confirmed it is happening. While he's never been much of an insider, he hasn't posted anything false either.
Isnt Mike Gould that kid, who's an adult now but just barely, who grew up posting a ton on CP who dreamed of growing up to become a sports reporter? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

• Haha
Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Isnt Mike Gould that kid, who's an adult now but just barely, who grew up posting a ton on CP who dreamed of growing up to become a sports reporter? Or am I confusing him with someone else?
It is... but he was our kid poster first, before he got banned for posting Star Wars spoilers lol... He's doing well for himself, I'm proud of the kid.

Reactions: Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If the Flames keep Rooney by exposing Pelletier I'll be pissed off. Rooney has no long term future here.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
If the Flames keep Rooney by exposing Pelletier I'll be pissed off. Rooney has no long term future here.
Rooney and Pelletier play different positions. Rooney is our only pure #4C they have to be looked at independently. And I'm saying this as probably the biggest Pelletier fan on here... I'm seething, but trying not to meltdown like with Solo lol

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It is... but he was our kid poster first, before he got banned for posting Star Wars spoilers lol... He's doing well for himself, I'm proud of the kid.
LOL... I never knew that about him posting on HF. I just remember the days on CP when he was like an over eager puppy... LOL.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
LOL... I never knew that about him posting on HF. I just remember the days on CP when he was like an over eager puppy... LOL.
Yeah, he posted here for a couple/few years before he went over to CP. He was an overeager puppy here too, except he was so young he was also still peeing on the floor lol.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What determines whether a player has a long term future with a team?
Age, possibilities, and yes... even initial draft pick. Im just not ready to give up on Pelletier whereas an older player like Rooney I really don't care about. Yes, I know Rooney can play center but we have other players who are playing wing who have played center too.

They dont even play the same position
Yes I know but the Flames can find other players on the roster who can play center and have done so in the past. ie... Duehr, Schwindt, even Zary.

Last edited:

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
So seems Friedman is tweeting out waivers as them come in today...

Brannstrom (VAN, literally just acquired in a trade w/ Colorado for a 4th and Poolman's LTIR cap hit)
Engvall (NYI)
Murray, Rifia (TOR)
Jenik (OTT)
Reimer (BUF)
Bussi, Patera (BOS)
Pelletier (CGY)
Holl (DET)

Frankly I'm more upset that Schwindt appears to have made the team and Pelletier was waived.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
If this is all the waivers... I'm f***ing baffled as it'd mean Cooley is on the roster, 8 defensemen are on the roster... so either Wolf is waived or we're not carrying any extra forwards and none of Honzek, Klapka or Coronato make the team out of camp.

That said if someone is injured (Rango), they may call someone up right away.

this makes more sense

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
This is strange. Keeping a guy like Cooley messes up practice. He’s not NHL caliber yet. Nvm looks like they are waiving Cooley.
Pelletier would have been fine as a 13th forward. Flames gonna Flame

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
This is strange. Keeping a guy like Cooley messes up practice. He’s not NHL caliber yet. Nvm looks like they are waiving Cooley.
Pelletier would have been fine as a 13th forward. Flames gonna Flame
Steinberg just tweeted Cooley and Schwindt are also on waivers.

Edit: Holy ninja edit, so quick I even quoted it lol

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I’d claim Brannstrom in a heartbeat. Brings a different skillset than the 5 dmen we have queueing up for a spot on our third pair

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
So looks like we have (assuming the waived players are claimed/reassigned)...

Goaltenders (2)
Wolf, Vladar

Defense (8)
Weegar, Andersson, Bahl, Miromanov, Bean, Barrie, Pachal, Hanley

Forwards (14):
Backlund, Kadri, Coleman, Huberdeau, Sharangovich, Kuzmenko, Zary, Pospisil, Mantha, Rooney, Honzek, Klapka and Coronato.

that would leave 1 remaining cut and it would have to be one of Honzek, Klapka or Coronato.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Means both Honzek and Klapka have made the team with Pelletier and Schwindt on waivers. Klapka was the obvious choice for 4RW spot so it makes complete sense. Next question is does Honzek continue to force management into playing him or does he get his 9 game cup of tea then sent down. Personally think he gets sent down to start November but he’s surprised everyone up to this point.

One step closer to the dream 4th line of Lomberg-Pospisil-Klapka.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I guess bright side is if Honzek didn’t shock the organization then Pelletier probably sticks around. Also before being despondent about a possible wasted 1st round pick look at the rest of the 2019 1st round after Pelts and the entire 2nd round. I mean best guy was Pinto then not much else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad