2024 Draft Thread - Friday June 28 and Saturday June 29 - Sphere Las Vegas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Obviously Pridham isn't a 1st round pick so thought I'd clear that up because it's definitely misleading.

Happy to see Stolberg there. I like Petterson and Emery as well. Interesting that they think Eiserman's a possibility. He is a player I could see dropping out of the lottery.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Happy to see Stolberg there. I like Petterson and Emery as well. Interesting that they think Eiserman's a possibility. He is a player I could see dropping out of the lottery.

Eiserman was being talked about as a top 5 pick early on in the year, now they think he may get to us at #23

Interesting, we took the late riser in last year's draft and it paid off so I wonder how they feel about the guy that falls his draft year

Not to badly if there interviewing him it would seem

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Eiserman was being talked about as a top 5 pick early on in the year, now they think he may get to us at #23

Interesting, we took the late riser in last year's draft and it paid off so I wonder how they feel about the guy that falls his draft year

Not to badly if there interviewing him it would seem
I'm hesitant to take a guy who's a faller. Usually you won't have as much intel on them because you don't expect them to be there, and usually they fall for a reason. I can't remember the last guy who fell so far and turned out well. Filip Forsberg fell from top 5 to 11th, Chychrun fell all the way to 16th and those seem to be the best guys I can come up with and neither really fell that far.

Reactions: Kiwi

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I'm hesitant to take a guy who's a faller. Usually you won't have as much intel on them because you don't expect them to be there, and usually they fall for a reason. I can't remember the last guy who fell so far and turned out well. Filip Forsberg fell from top 5 to 11th, Chychrun fell all the way to 16th and those seem to be the best guys I can come up with and neither really fell that far.
Liljegren was a faller, and while he's turning into a bit of a scapegoat for not taking the next step, 200GP at 25 is nothing to turn your nose up at when you're picking a player in a draft

Though, we also know his fall was largely related to his bout of mono

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It's a lot of risk, especially for someone that plays on the wing

If I'm rolling the dice I'd prefer to do it for a premium position like center or defenseman

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Reading up on things and it looks like Emery, Solberg and Luchanko are killing it with the testing. Emery and Luchanko were late 1st round/2nd round projectios but I easily see them rising ad getting picked much earlier than most expected.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Sounds like he could jump all the way up into the mid teens now tbh and Solberg. Apparently we're flying Solberg out to Toronto after the combine to do private meetings so sounds like huge interest in him.
I was saying earlier that his rankings are all over on draft boards. He could make it to the Leafs. I'd be cool with that pick.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Sounds like he could jump all the way up into the mid teens now tbh and Solberg. Apparently we're flying Solberg out to Toronto after the combine to do private meetings so sounds like huge interest in him.
Enough interest to try to move up? 🤔

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Enough interest to try to move up? 🤔
Either that or they like someone else more and want a team to take Solberg over the player they want so showing extra interest. Some of these meetings could be mind games to help a guy you like more fall.

I was saying earlier that his rankings are all over on draft boards. He could make it to the Leafs. I'd be cool with that pick.
Yeah a lot of GMs will let combine results make their decision on players if they have a bunch ranked around the same area.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Either that or they like someone else more and want a team to take Solberg over the player they want so showing extra interest. Some of these meetings could be mind games to help a guy you like more fall.

Yeah a lot of GMs will let combine results make their decision on players if they have a bunch ranked around the same area.
I mean I get why they do the combine but is that a massive factor for GMs?

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
What defines Solberg above everything else is his mean streak. He’s not content just repelling opponents. He wants them to be as close as possible, as it’s then easier for him to press his stick in their back. He inflicts pain every chance he gets, immobilizes opponents, and knocks them away from the front of the net. -EliteProspects 2024 NHL Draft Guide

Reactions: horner

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
EJ Emery would be a nice pick
Oddly I also have a strong feeling this might be Leafs pick.

Treliving likes big mean and mobile and this guy fits that description,

“He’s a natural-born athlete,” a scout said. “You won’t find many guys as competitive as him out there. Practices, games, in the weight room. He just wants to win.”

Emery is one of the best shutdown options this year. He doesn’t offer much offensively, but Emery makes it his mission to get in front of as many players as possible. He was easily the top defensive defender on the USA Hockey National Team Development Program, with his skating being well above average for a player of his makeup.

“Think Brandon Carlo,” a scout said. “He’s got the snarl, but he’s smart enough not to get himself in trouble. He doesn’t want to get beat under any circumstances and has the awareness and defensive know-how to make sure he’s always in the right position at the right time.”

Many scouts see Emery as a first-round pick, Given how good his skating is, adding that extra step with the puck would be huge – and that’s something he said he’s hoping to further develop at the University of North Dakota next year. Emery already looks like a pro-style player with his frame and defensive play, but he’ll need at least two years in college. By then, maybe he’s challenging for top-four ice time in a team that should still be a serious contender. Right-handed defenders are a popular commodity in the NHL.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

"Stian Solberg received some love from scouts and media alike. Seems like many were impressed with the way he interviewed with NHL teams, which could go a long way for someone trying to cement himself as a first-round pick. His play at the World Championship opened some eyes, and his combine definitely helped. He said he switched to defense when he was 14 when a teammate peed in a shower and his coach told him to take his place at defense. Yep.

Jett Luchanko killed it in testing.

1st) Left Grip Strength
1st) Right Grip Strength
1st) Windgate Test
7th) Lowest Body Fat %
2nd) Vertical Jump
3rd) Right Agility

This after he finished 1st overall at the prospects game combine ranking in the top five of six different events:

4th) 30-meter skate
3rd) 30-meter skate with puck
4th) 30-meter backwards skate with puck
2nd) Transition ability with puck
1st) Reaction with puck.

EJ Emery did well also.

3rd) Wingspan - 6'7
1st) Lowest Body Fat %
1st) Horizontal Long Jump
1st) Vertical Jump
1st) No Arm Jump
4th) Squat Jump