GDT: 2024 Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What's the lowest that you guys think Catton slips? I had pretty much given up on the idea, but we've had a few late risers and I'm starting to hope.
Could see that going either way. Given what we saw with Perreault, I’d say it’s at least possible he could slide to the teens.

That said, we didn’t pick Perreault, so not sure we’d pick him either.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Could see that going either way. Given what we saw with Perreault, I’d say it’s at least possible he could slide to the teens.

That said, we didn’t pick Perreault, so not sure we’d pick him either.
Maybe I'm off here, but I view Catton as having more tenacity than Perrault. I don't think he's as ridiculously smart as a passer but he has a bit of that Raymond factor to him with his willingness to battle over a puck and get pissed off. Plus I think he's a better skater. To me, Yzerman doesn't mind smaller, skilled offensive types as long as they are decent skaters and have some determination to their game.

I might be reading too much into a few viewings of him on the tenacity thing though. I haven't seen much talk about his competetiveness from the community at large. Plus Benson has those competetive qualities, and is a good skater so even if Catton is the guy I think he is, we did pass on Benson too.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Maybe I'm off here, but I view Catton as having more tenacity than Perrault. I don't think he's as ridiculously smart as a passer but he has a bit of that Raymond factor to him with his willingness to battle over a puck and get pissed off. Plus I think he's a better skater. To me, Yzerman doesn't mind smaller, skilled offensive types as long as they are decent skaters and have some determination to their game.

I might be reading too much into a few viewings of him on the tenacity thing though. I haven't seen much talk about his competetiveness from the community at large. Plus Benson has those competetive qualities, and is a good skater so even if Catton is the guy I think he is, we did pass on Benson too.

Much better skater than Perreault. I’d say Catton is comparable to Perfetti as a prospect. Small c in junior, will likely be W in NHL. Offense first. Will need lots of strength added before making it. Cheats for offense but is tenacious on the puck.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I guess in the same season as Zadina. It is really unfortunate that WWP is still the most successful Red Wings podcast - i stopped listening to them all together because it is basically unbearable. Their draft takes are the worst, statwatching mixed with Wheeler's pre-season draft rankings. I think if you reading hfb posts out loud you will create a better content, even if you don't ignore shanahanman
Amen man. Hope Ryan Hana gets a job somewhere around the team and can break away from those other clowns, because he’s the only one that’s even remotely tolerable.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Amen man. Hope Ryan Hana gets a job somewhere around the team and can break away from those other clowns, because he’s the only one that’s even remotely tolerable.
I think they okay , 3 guys with different opinion and temper. They know more about hockey than me, sometimes I change my opinion after listening them. My only complain is their shows are too long and sometimes they bs too much

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I fundamentally disagree with several of their player evals and player type preferences, but as far as having a good read on games, presenting Wing/NHL updates, and being entertaining, I haven't found a better Red Wing podcast than WWP. You just have to know what their biases are, and to then watch/listen through that lens. Basically anything to do with skilled defensemen just ignore whatever Brad has to say. Erik Karlsson is not the pinnacle of defensemen...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The WWP guys seem like they would we cool to have a beer and shoot the shit with.

But there are a bunch of people I’d rather listen to when it comes to breaking down players, prospects, or hockey in general.

Their interviews have gotten pretty good, I will listen in if they have Lalonde on or something like that.

Last edited:

Christien

May 1, 2010
I don't mind WWP that much. They're definitely the best Wings podcast out there, but Wings for Breakfast with Max Bultman and Prashanth has left a big void. They were the best.

Admittedly, I'm a little late getting into all the prospects this year. If we come out of the draft with Helenius, Luchanko, or Catton, I'm a happy camper.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’ve been reading up on the OHL and WHL prospects, seems like a talented and deep class for both leagues.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we drafted one or two of these kids in the first two rounds.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022

A classic Krysko tweet.

This again? Brad seems to make every comment about the both ends of the discussion, feels like it is his constant go to.

Anyway, trading down takes two to tango and you can't go to far or run the risk of losing your guy. Plus the team you are trading with needs a reason to move up.

Yzerman himself intimated they couldn't go down too for for fear of missing out on Mo. Krysko has no idea where Mo would have gone had Detroit not taken him. I still say Edmonton at 8 would have snatched him.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This again? Brad seems to make every comment about the both ends of the discussion, feels like it is his constant go to.

Anyway, trading down takes two to tango and you can't go to far or run the risk of losing your guy. Plus the team you are trading with needs a reason to move up.

Yzerman himself intimated they couldn't go down too for for fear of missing out on Mo. Krysko has no idea where Mo would have gone had Detroit not taken him. I still say Edmonton at 8 would have snatched him.
Don't forget Yzerman and Holland very close, most definitely he will be gone at 8 and Yzerman new that. Seider probably win cup this year if he went Edmonton

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I love comments like this like 10 years before we know whether a draft ranking was good or not lol.

giphy.gif

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I guess in the same season as Zadina. It is really unfortunate that WWP is still the most successful Red Wings podcast - i stopped listening to them all together because it is basically unbearable. Their draft takes are the worst, statwatching mixed with Wheeler's pre-season draft rankings. I think if you reading hfb posts out loud you will create a better content, even if you don't ignore shanahanman
I listen to podcasts for multiple teams and have enjoyed listening to WWP as an outside observer. They all have their negatives (Brad can be too pessimistic, Ryan can be too optimistic, Evan is out to lunch at times), but they're all quite knowledgeable. Much more knowledgeable about the hockey world than almost everyone here in the States. Friendly reminder that this is not their full time job, so their draft takes shouldn't be expected to be the greatest, they are just trying to give the average fan of the team an idea about potential draft targets.

Statwatching is a negative in general, but remember, we are all humans with (presumably) real jobs, we don't have enough time to watch 17 minutes (or full games) of Terik Parascak, Teddy Stiga, Stian Solberg, etc. So it is understandable that those of us who love the draft, but don't have the time to watch all the film like Craig Button and Sam Cosentino do, will look at baseline stats and adjust for league quality, development route, age, team quality, position, etc and try to make informed assumptions of projected ceiling potential for prospects.

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Winged Wheel podcast was talking about Eiserman like he's a guaranteed 40 goal guy in the NHL but I have worries about the guy becoming a real impact player. I get that he broke Caulfield's record at the NTDP but the holes in his game have me worried. How much does he contribute when he's not scoring? And is he even the best shooter in the draft? Because MBN, Greentree and Iginla might have something to say about that.

I think some team takes him in the top 10 based on his numbers being on par with guys like Boldy, Zegras, Caulfield. I'm not sure he'll match their production in the NHL right away.
Iginla is much more well rounded and will presumably be drafted ahead of Eiserman. I could see Eiserman being a 25-35 goal guy in the league, potentially a bit more if he has above average linemates and he rounds out his game. Eiserman needs to stay at least 2 years at BU unless he has a Will Smith level of freshman year. Definitely not a guy who you want to leave university early and then struggle in pro like Oliver Wahlstrom has.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Just that it was probably an advantage draft-wise to get to play, and show well, at the WC.

The O6-bit was answering a question, "who would you like to be drafted by?" "It would be nice to be drafted by an O6-team, so maybe Chicago, which I have talked with a lot.

The Chicago, Detroit, Calgary-bit was answering a question about who he had talked the most with.
Taken from the general MBN thread. Seems we've taken a lot of shine to the norwegian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad