2024 Draft - 5th Pick: Dalyn Wakely (F)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
@Brock

9. Dalyn Wakely - Center - North Bay Battalion
Yes, he took a massive leap this year as a dominant two-way force, but I think NHL teams are going to be most impressed by how he took a banged up Battalion team to the Eastern Conference finals this year. He's worked really hard the last few years to change the narrative around him regarding his consistency away from the puck. He's competitive. He's strong on the puck. He drives the middle and plays hard North/South. He has the skill and creativity to excel as a playmaker. He's worked hard to improve his skating, even if it still has to improve further to be a quality pro. Do I have some concerns over his projectability? For sure. I'm not sure he's an eventual fit in a top six role at the NHL level and I'm not sure he's a strong enough skater to be a high end bottom six guy. That said, the improvements that he has made thus far in his OHL career have him in the draft conversation, and rightfully so.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Ok. 1 or two overagers with a 7th round pick I can see but how manybplayers are we picking that have been passed over hundreds of times in multiple years by every other NHL team. Expected the OHL focus but there are guys that play other leagues in NA

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
The focus on overagers is likely due to the dearth of prospects, never mind actually good ones, and the Oilers hoping to shorten the development time of guys. It's rounds 5-7 so I'm not that bothered but they haven't really had much success with overagers have they? Just feels like they're giving up these picks for scouts to pick their 'pet project' type players, and not really focused on development picks.

Should note this kid has some scoring pedigree and once again ticks at least one of the focus points of Kalle Larsson -- smarts. Also allegedly a hard worker, though skating is a concern. Pretty par for the course with kids as you get into the weeds of later rounds, the warts are noticeable. I like him better than the Clattenburg pick frankly.

Reactions: K1984

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The focus on overagers is likely due to the dearth of prospects, never mind actually good ones, and the Oilers hoping to shorten the development time of guys. It's rounds 5-7 so I'm not that bothered but they haven't really had much success with overagers have they? Just feels like they're giving up these picks for scouts to pick their 'pet project' type players, and not really focused on development picks.
Picking overagers late is fine if they are guys who have taken a big step since their original draft year. High risk high reward kinds of guys.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

This young man is really good with his backhand, One play in this video he makes an incredible lay where he bats his own rebound out of the air with his backhand and scores. Seems like another smart and toolsy player with skill.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nothing to add on top of that Brock Otten write up. Took huge steps this year along with Romani. Impressive showing in the playoffs this year after Romani went down early.

Footspeed will be an issue, but his anticipation is good and has solid vision. He played quite a bit with Petrov last year.
Is he physical at all?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not noticeably. I can't remember him shying away from contact though.
Thanks, as long as he's willing to fight to hold onto pucks and doesn't shy away from that part of the game I can live without him running around for hits.

Reactions: oilers'72

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Could probably play in the AHL next year
I kind of hope that he does. The Battalion are reloading next season and as an OA I don't think there's much left for him to learn in junior. He probably doesn't net them much in return either.

I would also like to see the Oilers throw out an invite to Tnias Mathurin, who was a former Detroit 3rd rounder who they didn't sign. He and Paul Christopolous were an impenetrable pairing on that playoff run. Mathurin missed a lot of time the prior year due to a shoulder injury.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He had solid goal totals in all 3 of his OHL seasons, this season his assist totals took off, but he's definitely got a knack for scoring goals.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad