Prospect Info: 2024 Draft (3/82): Carson Wetsch (RW) | Calgary Hitmen (WHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This pick was acquired in trade for 85 (previously acquired in the Anthony Duclair deal) and a 2025 6th round pick.

OutletRank
NHL Central Scouting#50 North American Skater
TSN Bob McKenzie#70
TSN Craig Button#65
EliteProspects#96
Future Considerations#75
THN Ryan Kennedy#72
THN Tony Ferrari#97
Tankathon#71
FloHockey#53
Daily Faceoff#83
Dobber HockeyNR
The Hockey Writers#78

EliteProspects
Player Type Keywords: Heavy Hitter, Power Forward, Powerful Skater

Long, powerful strides and driving crossovers launch Wetsch past opponents. With a step, he takes the puck straight to the net. If not, he fires a blistering in-stride wrister. As play goes back the other way, he hunts down the puck carrier and launches them into the boards. He plays a direct, easily-appreciable style.

------------------------------------------------
The Athletic
Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: High-end

Analysis: Wetsch didn’t put up huge numbers in the WHL this season, but I liked him often when I watched his games. He was also an important part of Canada’s U18 team in the summer and spring. Wetsch’s game is defined by his speed and energy. He isn’t the most skilled player in the world and isn’t huge, but he’s always around the puck. He’s a quick skater who closes on plays well, but it’s how hard he works that makes him so noticeable. He’s hard on every puck and wins a ton of battles. That he has good hands and vision and can make some plays allows him to be an effective forward. He has the ability to kill penalties and be a trusted two-way bottom-six wing in the NHL.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5598387/2024/06/28/sharks-rangers-nhl-draft-picks-grades-2024/ (****PAYWALL****)
------------------------------------------------------------

FloHockey

The offensive game doesn’t wow you, but Wetsch finds a way to stand out in most of his games thanks to his aggressive forechecking ability, his size, his skating ability and the nastiness he can bring to a shift. I’d like to see a little more touch in his game, but he still scored 25 goals this season and is certainly not inept with the puck. That heavy brand of hockey he can play shift by shift fits in on any NHL roster.

------------------------------------------------------------
Sportsnet.ca (Jason Bukala)
Carson-Wetsch-Front.png
Carson-Wetsch-Back.png

Last edited:

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Nice writeup from Chris Peters at flohockey.tv. Sounds like a really good pick for this range--much higher NHL prospects (maybe 3rd liner if things hit) than I'd expect at 82:

53. Carson Wetsch, RW, Calgary Hitmen​

The offensive game doesn’t wow you, but Wetsch finds a way to stand out in most of his games thanks to his aggressive forechecking ability, his size, his skating ability and the nastiness he can bring to a shift. I’d like to see a little more touch in his game, but he still scored 25 goals this season and is certainly not inept with the puck. That heavy brand of hockey he can play shift by shift fits in on any NHL roster.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Realistically probably a 4th liner, but he’s not a bad choice at #82. Heat-seeking missile is an apt description. Feels like a guy to me who makes the Canadian WJC team as a 19 year old in a depth role and people whine about why they didn’t take a 5’10” skill player over him to play on the fourth line. He’s got some scoring upside, I did like him at the U18.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Realistically probably a 4th liner, but he’s not a bad choice at #82. Heat-seeking missile is an apt description. Feels like a guy to me who makes the Canadian WJC team as a 19 year old in a depth role and people whine about why they didn’t take a 5’10” skill player over him to play on the fourth line. He’s got some scoring upside, I did like him at the U18.
He's a good energy guy who'll find a way to give his team a pick-me-up in some way. Intangibles are key for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad