Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Blues Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
As expected it Looks like MacMac, Skinner, Laferriere, and McGing are on waivers so we can add them to the other 14 sent down.

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
Faksa maxes out as a 3C on any team in the league with the majority of them being a 4C. In no scenario should he be our 2C...and I like the guy.

Schenn should be on the wing but is the defacto 3C. We could do much worse than that.

The problem with that is Buch really needs another winger on his libe to take draws and Neighbours, Saad, Bolduc, aren't it. Texier and Holloway are the only other forwards that could play up with any kind of faceoff experience and neither has much at all. This is why I like Holloway on the 2nd line.

Right now my lines would be:

Bolduc-Thomas-Kyrou
Neighbours-Buch-Holloway
Saad-Schenn-Texier
Toropchenko-Faksa-Joseph
Walker, kapanen as extras until Sunny is ready, then Kapanen is waived

I'd also be cool with swapping Bolduc and Saad if you want to add some more speed to the Schenn line while also giving time for the frenchmen to gel.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Neither Ellis nor Zherenko had a chance to earn role. Sometimes you are just road blocked and after how our Goalies played last year, that is the case. Ellis could have made every save and made them all look easy. But its just pre-season. He was going down eventually. He got more games than Zherenko so far. They till want to get Zherenko another couple periods, so Ellis got sent down first.
Totally. So far, given Zherenko's health, Ellis has the upper hand. He's taken advantage of Zherenko's misfortune. Smart. Now Vadim needs to get healthy.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

Bolduc-Thomas-Kyrou
Neighbours-Buch-Holloway
Saad-Schenn-Texier
Toropchenko-Faksa-Joseph
That's the direction I'd go in terms of roster construction for the forwards. Kapanen is just kind of there. Not good, not terrible, just there and he doesn't seem to be one of those character guys that can give the boys an emotional boost either like a Sunny or a Walker.

Reactions: CurrentCS

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I kinda feel like we’re more likely to see Faksa at 2C and Schenn at 3C before we see a trade. Which is gross. But we’ve got Dvorsky on the way up, and you don’t really want to block him long-term with another big acquisition. I’m also not sure that any of the pieces we’d want to give up could get us more than a 3C at best. It’s a tricky situation.

Our wingers are set for a long time tho, so that’s nice.

Faksa ain't gonna be higher on the depth chart than Schenn, but I agree with what you said about making a trade. I don't see the big rush to acquire another center until we see how Buch, Schenn, Faksa, and possibly Texier/Holloway look.

I was looking up Faksa and saw this article, so figured I'd put it here since we're on the subject. Seems like he's got the right mindset and if he's coming here for more opportunity and ice time then we might as well let him play 3C until he can't cut it or we find a better option, which might be in-house already.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Is there another center who may be available on waivers?? Brudzinski (rangers) might be a 4c type available come last cuts.

I think we need a middle 6 C more than a 4C. Thomas has top line and Faksa can be pushed down to the 4th line if we get someone else. That leaves wingers trying to cover the 2 and 3C spots. We also have Sunny as a 4C option, although not ideal at this point. So we need a 2 or a 3C.

I really want to see Hollaway tried at C. But barring that, I'd like to see us trade an excess winger for a young 3C with upside. We aren't blocking Dvorsky, because he can come in at wing to get acclimated, and we have 2 middle 6 C spots open.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I kinda feel like we’re more likely to see Faksa at 2C and Schenn at 3C before we see a trade. Which is gross. But we’ve got Dvorsky on the way up, and you don’t really want to block him long-term with another big acquisition. I’m also not sure that any of the pieces we’d want to give up could get us more than a 3C at best. It’s a tricky situation.

Our wingers are set for a long time tho, so that’s nice.
Yeah. Doesn’t make sense to spend assets to get a middle 6 center in the short term. If they manage to work into a playoff spot, I could see a cheap trade deadline acquisition of a non-glamorous rental as a reward for the team. But Dvorsky is the answer…eventually.

As expected it Looks like MacMac, Skinner, Laferriere, and McGing are on waivers so we can add them to the other 14 sent down.
We’ll hear from McGing again!

• Love
Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Faksa maxes out as a 3C on any team in the league with the majority of them being a 4C. In no scenario should he be our 2C...and I like the guy.

Schenn should be on the wing but is the defacto 3C. We could do much worse than that.

The problem with that is Buch really needs another winger on his libe to take draws and Neighbours, Saad, Bolduc, aren't it. Texier and Holloway are the only other forwards that could play up with any kind of faceoff experience and neither has much at all. This is why I like Holloway on the 2nd line.

Bolduc-Thomas-Kyrou
Neighbours-Buch-Holloway
Saad-Schenn-Texier
Toropchenko-Faksa-Joseph

I'd also be cool with swapping Bolduc and Saad if you want to add some more speed to the Schenn line while also giving time for the frenchmen to gel.

So which forward line takes the most difficult defensive matchups? By putting Thomas with Bolduc and Kyrou, I think that line would get eaten alive by other team's top lines on defense. I'm also not sure sticking Buch with two relatively inexperienced guys is the best way to use him as he's learning how to play center. I'll be surprised if Schenn doesn't start the year somewhere on one of the top two lines. Holloway, Texier and Faksa will compete for 3c most likely. Plenty of time to find the right formula.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Also, I'd like to see Faksa on the 4th line. I don't see enough offensive production from him to justify keeping him on the 3rd line.
You don’t play Faksa on the 3rd line to provide scoring. You play him on the 3rd line to eat tough defensive minutes to free up your top 6 can score more. This idea has worked in the past, Faksa was a borderline elite defensive 3C for Dallas for a number of years.

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
So which forward line takes the most difficult defensive matchups? By putting Thomas with Bolduc and Kyrou, I think that line would get eaten alive by other team's top lines on defense. I'm also not sure sticking Buch with two relatively inexperienced guys is the best way to use him as he's learning how to play center. I'll be surprised if Schenn doesn't start the year somewhere on one of the top two lines. Holloway, Texier and Faksa will compete for 3c most likely. Plenty of time to find the right formula.
Thats also why I suggested a Bolduc Saad swap as well. It brings a better defensive forward to the top line.

Why wouldn't the 4th line be considered the shutdown line? All 3 are good pkers, good speed, etc. And if Saad is on that 3rd line that line can hold their own as well as Texier is also good defensively.

So in your idea, if Schenn plays top 6, I imagine you feel that's with Buchnevich and thats fine...so that makes Faksa the 3C which imo is ok at best at this point. So who is your 4th line C in that scenario?

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
You don’t play Faksa on the 3rd line to provide scoring. You play him on the 3rd line to eat tough defensive minutes to free up your top 6 can score more. This idea has worked in the past, Faksa was a borderline elite defensive 3C for Dallas for a number of years.
Everyone is making good points because the roster is so flexible. It's almost like each answer is correct.

Reactions: Reality Czech

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019

This team does not have enough elite talent to rely on the top 6 for offense. This team will need 3 scoring lines. Also, Faksa can provide tough defensive minutes on the fourth line, like the Steen-Sundqvist-Barbashev line did in 2019.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Thats also why I suggested a Bolduc Saad swap as well. It brings a better defensive forward to the top line.

Why wouldn't the 4th line be considered the shutdown line? All 3 are good pkers, good speed, etc. And if Saad is on that 3rd line that line can hold their own as well as Texier is also good defensively.

So in your idea, if Schenn plays top 6, I imagine you feel that's with Buchnevich and thats fine...so that makes Faksa the 3C which imo is ok at best at this point. So who is your 4th line C in that scenario?

I'm ok with Faksa as the 3C for now until someone pushes him down the depth chart. The 4th line can take some matchups but they're only gonna play ten minutes per game or so. I'd also prefer to let the younger guys like Bolduc and Holloway to work their way up the lineup rather than giving them so much responsibility right off the bat. I could see one in the top six to start but not both.

There are a lot of possible combinations though and I'm still not sure what I'd go with. I guess right now I'd go with

Neighbours Thomas Kyrou
Bolduc/Holloway Buch Schenn

You could also swap Schenn and Kyrou to make the Thomas line more of a crash and bang line, or even put Schenn with Thomas/Kyrou to see if he can find his offensive game again. So many options that it's hard to even decide what's best. A lot of it depends on how Buch does at center and if he needs more support on his line.

Faksa can still end up on the 4th line if Holloway or Texier show they are capable enough to play 3C. A third line with some combination of Saad, Holloway, Texier, Bolduc looks pretty decent as well. Sunny will be back soon so he'll be a 4th line option.

Last edited:

CurrentCS

Jul 4, 2023
I'm ok with Faksa as the 3C for now until someone pushes him down the depth chart. The 4th line can take some matchups but they're only gonna play ten minutes per game or so. I'd also prefer to let the younger guys like Bolduc and Holloway to work their way up the lineup rather than giving them so much responsibility right off the bat. I could see one in the top six to start but not both.

There are a lot of possible combinations though and I'm still not sure what I'd go with. I guess right now I'd go with

Neighbours Thomas Kyrou
Bolduc/Holloway Buch Schenn

You could also swap Schenn and Kyrou to make the Thomas line more of a crash and bang line, or even put Schenn with Thomas/Kyrou to see if he can find his offensive game again. So many options that it's hard to even decide what's best. A lot of it depends on how Buch does at center and if he needs more support on his line.

Faksa can still end up on the 4th line if Holloway or Texier show they are capable enough to play 3C. A third line with some combination of Saad, Holloway, Texier, Bolduc looks pretty decent as well. Sunny will be back soon so he'll be a 4th line option.
Yeah I do love the depth they have to be able to move any number of pieces around across all lines.

I prefer to spread the offense throughout the lines, which is why I'd have Schenn as the 3C to start with. If any combo of Texier, Holloway, Bolduc, etc is on that line its a much more offensively capable line than having Faksa at 3C. He hasn't had more than 20pts in 3 or 4 years. I love him as the 4C though.

You're right that everything revolves around Buchnevich being able to handle 2C. I think he can, I just like him so much more on wing.

I wonder if with all of this, does Zach Dean have a legitimate shot of still making the team? He's the only other forward thats still up (assuming sunny starts on IR) that could slot in at 3C/4C. Maybe Walker?

Reactions: Reality Czech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad