Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Blues Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Centers don't have to take faceoffs, although they usually do.

I wonder why we acquired the quy. We have plenty of wingers, but short on centers
At the time we didn't have Holloway & Joseph and whether he gets there or not Texier has second-line upside to be worth a gamble of a 4th round pick at an age where he could contribute as a nice support piece to the new core.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Centers don't have to take faceoffs, although they usually do.

I wonder why we acquired the quy. We have plenty of wingers, but short on centers

I'm guessing only because he's a young player with potential that we got at a discounted price. He's a gamble worth taking.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
His career faceoff win rate is 35.5%, he's not really a center.
Buchnevich Career Faceoff is 31.5%. Sunqvist is a career 43.3%. We only have 2 Cs above 50%, Thomas and Faksa. Schenn is right below 50%. We are going to have somoeone bad at faceoffs at C, and probably 2 people since we seem to want Buch as a C and Schenn as a Wing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd be more confident in Holloway, he at least played it in the minors last season. And it's not just FO%, if Texier was a legitimate C, Columbus likely would have had him there. Even Schenn in Philly had much longer stretches at C, which made his full-time switch when he came here more likely.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Buchnevich Career Faceoff is 31.5%. Sunqvist is a career 43.3%. We only have 2 Cs above 50%, Thomas and Faksa. Schenn is right below 50%. We are going to have somoeone bad at faceoffs at C, and probably 2 people since we seem to want Buch as a C and Schenn as a Wing.
You make a good point.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today the team has assigned 13 players to their AHL affiliate, the Springfield Thunderbirds, while assigning another to their junior team.

Players assigned to Springfield are Jeremie Biakabutuka, Michael Buchinger, Will Cranley, Tanner Dickinson, Dalibor Dvorsky, Colten Ellis, Marc-Andre Gaudet, Samuel Johannesson, Aleksanteri Kaskimaki, Leo Loof, Anton Malmstrom, Dylan Peterson and Marcus Sylvegard.

Anton Dorion was assigned to his junior team.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I guess Simon Robertsson is Getting another game
I think he's earned that. He's been a pleasant surprise.

Here's what we're left with in camp as we sit here today:

Forwards (21): Nikita Alexandrov (59), Zack Bolduc (76), Pavel Buchnevich (89), Zach Dean (52), Radek Faksa (12), Dylan Holloway (81), Mathieu Joseph (71), Kasperi Kapanen (42), Jordan Kyrou (25), Mathias Laferriere (58), Mackenzie MacEachern (28), Hugh McGing (56), Jake Neighbours (63), Simon Robertsson (80), Brandon Saad (20), Brayden Schenn (10), Oskar Sundqvist (70), Alexandre Texier (9), Robert Thomas (18), Alexey Toropchenko (13), Nathan Walker (26).

Defense (12): Philip Broberg (6), Justin Faulk (72), Adam Jiricek (37), Pierre-Olivier Joseph (77), Matthew Kessel (51), Nick Leddy (4), Colton Parayko (55), Scott Perunovich (48), Corey Schueneman (64), Hunter Skinner (43), Ryan Suter (22), Tyler Tucker (75).

Goaltenders (3): Jordan Binnington (50), Joel Hofer (30), Vadim Zherenko (1).

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think he's earned that. He's been a pleasant surprise.

Here's what we're left with in camp as we sit here today:

Forwards (21): Nikita Alexandrov (59), Zack Bolduc (76), Pavel Buchnevich (89), Zach Dean (52), Radek Faksa (12), Dylan Holloway (81), Mathieu Joseph (71), Kasperi Kapanen (42), Jordan Kyrou (25), Mathias Laferriere (58), Mackenzie MacEachern (28), Hugh McGing (56), Jake Neighbours (63), Simon Robertsson (80), Brandon Saad (20), Brayden Schenn (10), Oskar Sundqvist (70), Alexandre Texier (9), Robert Thomas (18), Alexey Toropchenko (13), Nathan Walker (26).

Defense (12): Philip Broberg (6), Justin Faulk (72), Adam Jiricek (37), Pierre-Olivier Joseph (77), Matthew Kessel (51), Nick Leddy (4), Colton Parayko (55), Scott Perunovich (48), Corey Schueneman (64), Hunter Skinner (43), Ryan Suter (22), Tyler Tucker (75).

Goaltenders (3): Jordan Binnington (50), Joel Hofer (30), Vadim Zherenko (1).

Interesting that they kept Zherenko up instead of Ellis considering how well the latter has been playing. Though I guess at this point they just need to keep some non-NHL guys around so the NHL roster doesn't need to play every game. For example, I'd think Skinner and Schueneman would be lower on the depth chart than a couple of guys who were sent down.

Reactions: Celtic Note

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I do get the sense that they want a reliable 3rd line, and that's why Holloway, Faksa, and Joseph are together. Too often last season, it was Thomas' line and then every other line, you just didn't know what to expect. With those 3, you should get consistent and reliable play as a 3rd line. Ideally, Holloway is able to play his way up, and Texier is able to fill the role that Holloway played on the 3rd. I don't think Schenn is quite to this level yet, but I think he's going to be at the Steen type role that he had in 18/19.

I agree that the 2nd line obviously has more talent that the Faksa line, but with Buchnevich at C and as long as Schenn is still there, I don't really know what they are going to bring every night. If Buchnevich magically performs well, we'll be in really good shape, because we'll make the wingers work. If Buchnevich struggles and needs to play wing, then the 2nd line will be a toss up.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I do get the sense that they want a reliable 3rd line, and that's why Holloway, Faksa, and Joseph are together. Too often last season, it was Thomas' line and then every other line, you just didn't know what to expect. With those 3, you should get consistent and reliable play as a 3rd line. Ideally, Holloway is able to play his way up, and Texier is able to fill the role that Holloway played on the 3rd. I don't think Schenn is quite to this level yet, but I think he's going to be at the Steen type role that he had in 18/19.

I agree that the 2nd line obviously has more talent that the Faksa line, but with Buchnevich at C and as long as Schenn is still there, I don't really know what they are going to bring every night. If Buchnevich magically performs well, we'll be in really good shape, because we'll make the wingers work. If Buchnevich struggles and needs to play wing, then the 2nd line will be a toss up.
If Buch doesn't work out as C I'm expecting the Blues to make a trade sooner rather than later.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Interesting that they kept Zherenko up instead of Ellis considering how well the latter has been playing. Though I guess at this point they just need to keep some non-NHL guys around so the NHL roster doesn't need to play every game. For example, I'd think Skinner and Schueneman would be lower on the depth chart than a couple of guys who were sent down.

Neither Ellis nor Zherenko had a chance to earn role. Sometimes you are just road blocked and after how our Goalies played last year, that is the case. Ellis could have made every save and made them all look easy. But its just pre-season. He was going down eventually. He got more games than Zherenko so far. They till want to get Zherenko another couple periods, so Ellis got sent down first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad