Prospect Info: 2024 Blues Prospect Poll #6

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the Blues’ #6 Prospect?

• Michael Buchinger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quinton Burns

• Lukas Fischer

• Paul Fischer

• Adam Jecho

• Aleksanteri Kaskimaki

• Matt Kessel

• Juraj Pekarcik

• Colin Ralph

• Simon Robertsson

• Nikita Susuyev

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Stenberg's gonna run away with this one.

And then it get's really interesting.
I'd think the conversation goes to Kessel and Dean next.
Kessel looks poised to be the #3 RHD for us and I'm not sure he doesn't have top 4 upside.
Dean didn't have a great year, but he's still a former 1st rounder and could turn it around.
Of course, you also have Pekarcik who had a great season and I think Zherenko should rank fairly soon(which would round out the top 10).
For me, I'm going Kessel next, then Dean, Pekarcik and Zherenko.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
This will be a landslide. For the next pick I guess I’d go with Kessel if we’re considering him I prospect still. I would consider him graduated personally as I feel he became a regular last year even though he didn’t play the majority of the year. I think he could be a #4 with some progression and is at least a quality bottom pairing defender.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Once we get deeper into the pool with #7, it might be fair to add Colton Ellis to the list. You could argue that he might have elevated himself above Zherenko with his play down the stretch last season at Springfield.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Stenberg should win in a landslide here and then things are going to get interesting! I know who I am voting for next but very interested to see how everyone else feels.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
Stenberg feels like a cutoff point where this group is a tier above the rest.
I kind of agree with this sentiment but there is one player who may be a hybrid between these two tiers of prospects and no, i'm not talking about Kessel. For starters, i don't really view Kessel as a prospect anymore and i don't view him as anything more than a 3rd pairing NHL defenseman at best.

Pekarcik has the potential to work his way into this upper group with development and is clearly head and shoulders above the rest on the list. In my mind, he is the definitive #7 with huge upside if handled properly.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Stenberg's gonna run away with this one.

And then it get's really interesting.
I'd think the conversation goes to Kessel and Dean next.
Kessel looks poised to be the #3 RHD for us and I'm not sure he doesn't have top 4 upside.
Dean didn't have a great year, but he's still a former 1st rounder and could turn it around.
Of course, you also have Pekarcik who had a great season and I think Zherenko should rank fairly soon(which would round out the top 10).
For me, I'm going Kessel next, then Dean, Pekarcik and Zherenko.
I would flip Pekarcik with Dean, but otherwise… yeah, what you said.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
At this point, I would have the prospects tiered and ranked as follows:

Tier 1 - Dvorsky
Tier 2 - Bolduc, Snuggerud
Tier 3 - Lindstein, Jiricek, Stenberg
Tier 4 - Kessel, Dean, Pekarcik

Obviously, I'm going to be using different criteria than others. For example, I probably value documented success at the NHL level higher than most and the positional need of the organization lower than most. Anything beyond Tier 4 to me would be a complete crap shoot, but I am hopeful that someone beyond the nine players listed above force themselves into the conversation next season. As it is, I'm probably going to have a really hard time figuring out who to vote for at #10.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Tier 1 - Dvorsky

Obviously, I'm going to be using different criteria than others. For example, I probably value documented success at the NHL level higher than most and the positional need of the organization lower than most. Anything beyond Tier 4 to me would be a complete crap shoot, but I am hopeful that someone beyond the nine players listed above force themselves into the conversation next season. As it is, I'm probably going to have a really hard time figuring out who to vote for at #10.
That’s the same top-9 I have. Little different order but yeah, it really opens up around 10 IMO.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Once we get deeper into the pool with #7, it might be fair to add Colton Ellis to the list. You could argue that he might have elevated himself above Zherenko with his play down the stretch last season at Springfield.

It's hard to know exactly what we have in either guy at this point but the potential of both is intriguing. Guess we'll find out this year who takes the lead in the race for #3 goalie on the depth chart.

Reactions: MissouriMook

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

Tier 1 - Dvorsky

Personally, I'd probably move Lindstein up to tier 2, but otherwise I think I'd agree. For a late 1st rounder in a position we have an incredible difficult time drafting at that range, coupled with his IQ, defensive ability, and what he's shown playing against his peers offensively, I think he has potential that is being slept on a bit. But I totally understand why you'd put him in tier 3.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Stenberg goes here…and my next pick is Nikita Susuyev.

Could he stay in Russia? Sure. Does he need to work on defense? Certainly. However, we’re talking about a kid who has been in the KHL since he was seventeen, hasn’t looked out of place one bit, and dominated our camp.

He’s risky, but I feel that he could be to us what Kaprizov is to the Wild, what Panarin was to the Hawks.

Reactions: BrokenFace

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

Could he stay in Russia? Sure. Does he need to work on defense? Certainly. However, we’re talking about a kid who has been in the KHL since he was seventeen, hasn’t looked out of place one bit, and dominated our camp.

He’s risky, but I feel that he could be to us what Kaprizov is to the Wild, what Panarin was to the Hawks.
I'll be curious if he can have a breakout season in the KHL this coming year. If he can score like 20 points in 40 games or so, then I'll start to take him a bit more seriously as a prospect. He has a later birthday than Panarin, but Panarin, Kaprizov, and Susuyev all performed relatively the same in the KHL points wise (though Susuyev has the benefit of the VHL). He clearly has skill offensively, so if he does come over at some point in the next 2 years, the forward group could be very dynamic.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Personally, I'd probably move Lindstein up to tier 2, but otherwise I think I'd agree. For a late 1st rounder in a position we have an incredible difficult time drafting at that range, coupled with his IQ, defensive ability, and what he's shown playing against his peers offensively, I think he has potential that is being slept on a bit. But I totally understand why you'd put him in tier 3.
I considered putting him at the end of Tier 2, but I really want to see him build on the progress he made last season. The guys above him in Tier 2 have shown some staying power in terms of their production and progression. I say all of this as someone who believes that Lindstein could actually end up being the best (or most important) player in this group.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Kaprisov was over .5 p/gm at 18 years old in KHL. Panarin was a little under but 1 point shy. Susuyev had 6 points in 40 games. He is not quite the level those guys were at this point. I don't want to douse your excitement, but he has a bit more ways to go to hit their level.

I don't quite understand the disconnect from what I've seen plus hs stats compared with posters like you that are so high on him. But stats aren't everything, and I have not seen much of him. So fingers crossed. Our own Kaorisov would be a nice get.

Reactions: LogosBlue

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Kaprisov was over .5 p/gm at 18 years old in KHL. Panarin was a little under but 1 point shy. Susuyev had 6 points in 40 games. He is not quite the level those guys were at this point. I don't want to douse your excitement, but he has a bit more ways to go to hit their level.

I don't quite understand the disconnect from what I've seen plus hs stats compared with posters like you that are so high on him. But stats aren't everything, and I have not seen much of him. So fingers crossed. Our own Kaorisov would be a nice get.

Fair enough. I've been high on the pick ever since we drafted him (as he was a third-round talent with his only detractions being that his defense needed work and that he was locked in a very-long-term contract with his KHL team). He does have a ways to go, but he also hasn't had the opportunity to do the things Kaprizov and Panarin had (given that he's likely playing on the fourth line like most KHL teams do with younger players).

I just looked at when he was given an opportunity at camp, and it reaffirmed everything I thought of him; he was clearly the player who made the most noise there against players of his age group. Let's not forget Dvorsky's struggles against men. Sometimes, things like that take time.

I just look at the potential, and I feel that Susuyev could be a breakout star, a potential top-six winger with offensive flair.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Some guys need to ripen on the vine and Susuyev might be one of them. If he breaks out a little this coming season and gets close to matching Panarin's or Kap's #s, then I'll start to get excited. He just needs to handle what's in front of him and marinate for a couple years. EDIT: He'll be in the K until at least 2027.

As a side note, I've been wondering how much homesickness plays into a prospect's willingness to play in NA. These are just boys/very young men, after all. I can imagine that loads of players are auto-pushed through the system and then suddenly find themselves very unhappy. Just a thought.

EDIT #2: I can't find the article, but I remember in one of his first post-draft interviews, Pietrangelo said that he wasn't sure whether he wanted to play hockey or do something else.

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I considered putting him at the end of Tier 2, but I really want to see him build on the progress he made last season. The guys above him in Tier 2 have shown some staying power in terms of their production and progression. I say all of this as someone who believes that Lindstein could actually end up being the best (or most important) player in this group.
Totally reasonable, I understand that sentiment

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I’m going to put this out there as I think he is being overlooked as being every bit in that top 6 group even over Jiricek (I want to see him do more before I’m convinced he can be a top pair defenseman. Pedigree and Hlinka is a pretty thin resume.) and Dean. Pekarcik is one heck of a player with size, skating, and skill. I saw him 10+ times this year. He’s as good a passer as anyone on this list. He was 2nd in assists in the USHL and missed over 17 games. His line shutdown and skated circles around Boisvert and Gridin in the playoffs. He looks like a legit 6-9 winger and may be advantageous to a Dvorsky with his ability to pass for one timers. Forehand or backhand, he is spot on.

• Love
Reactions: stl76 and Drubilly

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I’m going to put this out there as I think he is being overlooked as being every bit in that top 6 group even over Jiricek (I want to see him do more before I’m convinced he can be a top pair defenseman. Pedigree and Hlinka is a pretty thin resume.) and Dean. Pekarcik is one heck of a player with size, skating, and skill. I saw him 10+ times this year. He’s as good a passer as anyone on this list. He was 2nd in assists in the USHL and missed over 17 games. His line shutdown and skated circles around Boisvert and Gridin in the playoffs. He looks like a legit 6-9 winger and may be advantageous to a Dvorsky with his ability to pass for one timers. Forehand or backhand, he is spot on.

Wasn't it Tim Taylor after last years development camp who said something in the vein of that they thought they drafted another 1st rounder in the 3rd?

I have him next on my list.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Appreciate the post.

I have Kessel (since we are considering him a prospect) and Dean still above Pekarcik, but a lot of that is due to how I value prospects further along in development.

Very excited to see how Pekarcik develops next couple years, he could be a big riser. Hopefully the Blues can find a good home for him next year in the CHL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad