2024-25 USNTDP U18 Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
last night they look short players at forward /murtaugh stewart were out too ? wonder if they plan on bringing best u -17 kid up at some point

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
last night they look short players at forward /murtaugh stewart were out too ? wonder if they plan on bringing best u -17 kid up at some point
They could do so for a game or two, but on a permanent or semi-permanent basis they won’t until the second half unless someone is dominating.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I thought after yesterday's game, better days were ahead for this team. Too good of a group to consistently lose USHL games, even if some of the goals Fargo let in today were weak. They've mixed and matched lines and nothings really worked so far. Missing Murtagh hurts for however long he's out for. If any of the '08s are good, there are a few obvious candidates for demotion on this team.

I thought after the Fall Classic that Amico was going to be the best prospect on this team. I really liked his puck composure and overall presence; there was a play where he navigated the forecheck and hit the weak side winger right in stride for a break. Great stuff there. After watching the Fargo series, I'm not as sure. The Friday game he was pretty bad turning pucks over and overall struggling with pressure. Very intriguing player, I'm just not completely sold.. yet. The upcoming college games should be telling.

I am pretty sold with Murtagh. Everyone watched Boston College last year and gushed over Ryan Leonard. Murtagh is probably the closest thing you'll see to Leonard, just slightly worse. Competitive, NHL release, and enough skill to play with top players. My only gripe with Murtagh is that I thought he had tunnel vision at times last year.

I love Fondrk's game and think he's been the most dangerous player on the team so far. Results haven't been there as he's set up linemates who haven't finished and Fondrk hasn't converted chances himself that he usually was last year. The points will come. There will be questions around his projectability and I do have some concerns myself over how his game translates to pro hockey. But don't let him fall too far, kid is talented.

Maceo Phillips played his best game today, but has been largely a disaster so far this year overall. He hurts whoever is paired with him. Some will see a 6'5 defenseman who can skate and is legitimately mean and think the rest will come around. I see a player who has no hockey sense, can't make a pass, runs around in his own zone and takes stupid penalties. Odds are he's this years Cleveland/Skahan but not my cup of tea.

I agree with the commentary on Will Moore. Not a terrible player, but just not that talented. Good hand eye and does most of his damage around the net. Maybe he could be a 3rd line player down the road if he ups his compete. 2nd/3rd rounder for me at the moment. With the McKenzie ranking, I don't think most scouts are watching the U17s too closely.

I also think McKinney is overrated. Don't see the skill to think he could play in top 6 in the NHL.

I like Andrew O'Neill. Listed 6'2, good skater, and versatile. Yesterday there was a mix up in front of the net where Kvasnicka was on the ice getting mauled by a Fargo player. O'Neill no hesitation rushed in to tackled the Fargo player. Stuff you like to see and I think there's still some untapped offense.

Landon Hafele is the most improved player from last season. Could be a top 2 round guy for next year.

Looking forward to seeing how the NCAA games go.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I thought after yesterday's game, better days were ahead for this team. Too good of a group to consistently lose USHL games, even if some of the goals Fargo let in today were weak. They've mixed and matched lines and nothings really worked so far. Missing Murtagh hurts for however long he's out for. If any of the '08s are good, there are a few obvious candidates for demotion on this team.

I thought after the Fall Classic that Amico was going to be the best prospect on this team. I really liked his puck composure and overall presence; there was a play where he navigated the forecheck and hit the weak side winger right in stride for a break. Great stuff there. After watching the Fargo series, I'm not as sure. The Friday game he was pretty bad turning pucks over and overall struggling with pressure. Very intriguing player, I'm just not completely sold.. yet. The upcoming college games should be telling.

I am pretty sold with Murtagh. Everyone watched Boston College last year and gushed over Ryan Leonard. Murtagh is probably the closest thing you'll see to Leonard, just slightly worse. Competitive, NHL release, and enough skill to play with top players. My only gripe with Murtagh is that I thought he had tunnel vision at times last year.

I love Fondrk's game and think he's been the most dangerous player on the team so far. Results haven't been there as he's set up linemates who haven't finished and Fondrk hasn't converted chances himself that he usually was last year. The points will come. There will be questions around his projectability and I do have some concerns myself over how his game translates to pro hockey. But don't let him fall too far, kid is talented.

Maceo Phillips played his best game today, but has been largely a disaster so far this year overall. He hurts whoever is paired with him. Some will see a 6'5 defenseman who can skate and is legitimately mean and think the rest will come around. I see a player who has no hockey sense, can't make a pass, runs around in his own zone and takes stupid penalties. Odds are he's this years Cleveland/Skahan but not my cup of tea.

I agree with the commentary on Will Moore. Not a terrible player, but just not that talented. Good hand eye and does most of his damage around the net. Maybe he could be a 3rd line player down the road if he ups his compete. 2nd/3rd rounder for me at the moment. With the McKenzie ranking, I don't think most scouts are watching the U17s too closely.

I also think McKinney is overrated. Don't see the skill to think he could play in top 6 in the NHL.

I like Andrew O'Neill. Listed 6'2, good skater, and versatile. Yesterday there was a mix up in front of the net where Kvasnicka was on the ice getting mauled by a Fargo player. O'Neill no hesitation rushed in to tackled the Fargo player. Stuff you like to see and I think there's still some untapped offense.

Landon Hafele is the most improved player from last season. Could be a top 2 round guy for next year.

I don’t totally agree with some of this but I will say O’Neil is definitely underrated. I think Hafele could go top 15 next year. He’s got a lot of great tools.

What did you think of LJ Mooney?

jtechkid

May 24, 2024

great report - i’m not sure what dmen are going in the first round ? phillips and amico are raw and could argue upside but both should play one more extra year on ushl team in my view - mooney good but i see second round - agree on murtaugh - leonard

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I don’t totally agree with some of this but I will say O’Neil is definitely underrated. I think Hafele could go top 15 next year. He’s got a lot of great tools.

What did you think of LJ Mooney?
I like Mooney. He's had to do some of the heavy lifting, but if he had a Hughes/Cooley/Smith/Hagens to play with, he'd be tearing it up. I think he has the highest offensive upside on the team. Looked good with the U18s last year, looked good at the summer showcase, I like him.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
great report - i’m not sure what dmen are going in the first round ? phillips and amico are raw and could argue upside but both should play one more extra year on ushl team in my view - mooney good but i see second round - agree on murtaugh - leonard
I'd be surprised if Amico didn't go 1st round. How many 6'5, right shot defenseman who can skate and have skill exist? It's a coveted asset. We'll see how his season goes, but it'd have to go poorly to drop past 30 I'd guess. If there's a top 10 pick on this team, it's likely Amico.

Trethewey has a chance I think, but the more time goes on the less I like him. There was a time where I thought he was a great prospect, now more of a good prospect, but plenty of time for him to show what he can do.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Quinlan got his first win tonight. Stopped 26/28. I think he's better than either of the goaltenders from last year's team. He's not Augustine, but maybe a slightly taller Silverstein who hopefully doesn't have the injury trouble that derailed Silverstein's chances to make the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad