2024-25 Sharks schedule

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
So Slone is still part of the Sharks team. I wonder who the new Pre/Postgame host will be. If Slone moved to Canada, it won't be her, but I wish it was. I hope it's not Rameriz.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Wasn't sure where to post this and it doesn't deserve it's own thread.

Does anyone know how long the Sharks TV contract lasts now? I was trying to look it up and it pointed me to the 2013 Mercury article but I can't find the specifics. With all the teams moving to an independent streaming model, when will the Sharks finally be out from the Reigns of NBC Sports.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Wasn't sure where to post this and it doesn't deserve it's own thread.

Does anyone know how long the Sharks TV contract lasts now? I was trying to look it up and it pointed me to the 2013 Mercury article but I can't find the specifics. With all the teams moving to an independent streaming model, when will the Sharks finally be out from the Reigns of NBC Sports.
Ends in 2028 I believe, i.e. final season under current contract is 27-28.

• Wow

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Are there any buyout options because the tv landscape is rapidly changing and the Sharks (In the Tech capital of the world) are being passed by.

LS is correct. The Sharks have tried to get out of it, but no dice.

While the contract SUCKS, I think it's nice that the Sharks get to sit back and see how these teams far with non-RSN options like teams with all games on OTA, all on streaming (like the Stars with free streaming), or hybrid, before the Sharks dive into something like that. There's going to be lots of kinks to work out, especially for something like what the Stars are doing.

I would bet the Sharks would be closely monitoring how the Stars set up goes, because I suspect that's what they might be thinking (free, but only streaming with no OTA games).

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I would bet the Sharks would be closely monitoring how the Stars set up goes, because I suspect that's what they might be thinking (free, but only streaming with no OTA games).

I was watching a little of the Stars game last week just to see how the set up worked and it was nice, but the scorebug and the logo was a little big. If they shrunk those down like 2 or 3 levels, I think it would be a lot better.

Nothing will ever beat the Fox Sports Net Graphics. Now everything just feels a little generic, like the ESPN/TNT logos. At least it's not Ballys.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
LS is correct. The Sharks have tried to get out of it, but no dice.

While the contract SUCKS, I think it's nice that the Sharks get to sit back and see how these teams far with non-RSN options like teams with all games on OTA, all on streaming (like the Stars with free streaming), or hybrid, before the Sharks dive into something like that. There's going to be lots of kinks to work out, especially for something like what the Stars are doing.

I also think it's fair to worry about the Sharks running their own DTC service. Despite being located in the "capital of Silicon Valley," we all know how bad they've been with various tech/media services, including only streaming stuff like preseason games on their website in the last year or two, and even today having a very bad website.

The production quality of Sharks games on NBCSCA has remained pretty strong, I'd say. Don't' even get me started on things like Bally broadcasts with their constant, obtrusive ticker at the bottom of the screen.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I was watching a little of the Stars game last week just to see how the set up worked and it was nice, but the scorebug and the logo was a little big. If they shrunk those down like 2 or 3 levels, I think it would be a lot better.

Nothing will ever beat the Fox Sports Net Graphics. Now everything just feels a little generic, like the ESPN/TNT logos. At least it's not Ballys.

Actually, that wasn't what I was referring to, although I'm sure that's an issue. I'm referring to this:

Being 100% stream presents a challenge for watching the team in public places on televisions, like restaurants and bars. Most have DirecTV, and aren't equipped to put on internet streams. In Dallas, I'm sure all the bars close to American Airlines Center will figure something out. But what about a sports bar 30 miles from the arena? 50 miles from the arena? Any sports bar in these radii would have been showing Stars games previously, but now, who knows if will make efforts to show an exclusively internet streamed game. Are the Stars going to make attempts to get bars/restaurants to accommodate this, and if so, again, what's the radius away from the AAC that they will?

I think these are important considerations for the Sharks, and what I mean in terms of watching how this goes. I want to see how much Stars fans complain about this, whether they are: 1.) patrons at a bar/restaurant that don't figure out a way to show the game or even 2.) people who are not tech-savvy frustrated that the game is not on cable/sat/OTA. I think this #2 is likely severely underestimated by the Stars going into this season. Many of us look at this as freedom from cable/sat/OTA/other streaming services, but for others who have such services and aren't going to get rid of them, this may seem more difficult and frustrating that they simply can't turn in a cable/sat/OTA channel to watch the game. Does putting the Stars 100% on a streaming service mean that less casuals watch, because now it's not something they casually find while flipping through channels, but something they have to go out of their way to find and watch via streaming? Things like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad