2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Hard to hit 100 points when you miss a month+.

I'm pretty against 9 game trials unless it's a really unique case (usually a 19 year old). The last time the team saw Jett play in a regular season game, they thought he was a late first rounder. Chances are he didn't go from that to NHL player in 6 months.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah maybe. I haven't seen anything from him that screams to me he will be that much of a contributer at 19.

He seems like a run of the mill mid forst rounder that could turn into a solid 2C one day or easily end up like Laughton, depending on how his development goes.

Sorry if that's too negative for you.

I don't see anything elite in his game, but you need solid 2C types that you can keep cost controlled to compete for a championship. He's going to be extremely useful and he's a great skater / compete level guy, you absolutely need those guys to win. Michkov's are more important but these guys have a place on championship teams.

Hard to hit 100 points when you miss a month+.

I'm pretty against 9 game trials unless it's a really unique case (usually a 19 year old). The last time the team saw Jett play in a regular season game, they thought he was a late first rounder. Chances are he didn't go from that to NHL player in 6 months.

As long as he paces for it, it means his offensive game took a step.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Farabee/Couts/TK
Tippett/Frost/Michkov
Foerster/Luchenko/Brink
Laughton/Cates/Hathaway
Poehling,DL,whoever.

For 9 at least.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I don't see anything elite in his game, but you need solid 2C types that you can keep cost controlled to compete for a championship. He's going to be extremely useful and he's a great skater / compete level guy, you absolutely need those guys to win. Michkov's are more important but these guys have a place on championship teams.
If he comes into the league at 19 (especially a very young 19) and contributes "35-40 points with solid D in his rookie year" and only ends up a "solid 2C type" I would feel like that was a pretty huge failure on the development staff.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
If he comes into the league at 19 (especially a very young 19) and contributes "35-40 points with solid D in his rookie year" and only ends up a "solid 2C type" I would feel like that was a pretty huge failure on the development staff.

I don't see the offensive potential for that much more, his peak potential is a very, very good 2C imo.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I guess I don't really see the appeal of a trial other than shiny new toy syndrome. You're more likely to talk yourself into keeping a player that probably isn't ready than the other way around, especially if the timing of his best games is towards the end. Also squeezes a waiver eligible player off the roster.

100 points is a nice accomplishment, but the Flyers once had a first rounder score 100+ points in the OHL in his D+1 season and he was still getting healthy scratched in the NHL in his D+7 season.

Bonk improved his production exponentially, but did he actually get better offensively? Usage + teammates can get any mildly skilled player over a threshold. We'll have to see actual tangible development.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I don't see the offensive potential for that much more, his peak potential is a very, very good 2C imo.
Yes I don't see it either. What I am saying is the majority of player who were capable of putting up 35-40 as a young 19 year old ended up being a lot better then "solid 2Cs".

There aren't many prospects that are able to put up those sorts of totals at 19 with good defence, that don't end up being first line players.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If Luchanko's most likely scenario was 2C -- and 2C on a contender, not because the entire organization only has 2 centers under the age of 32 -- he'd have gone 5 spots higher and not been ranked a ~20th overall player, although that's not always meaningful, and I think he's better than some of those players. But I don't think we'll look back and say the Flyers pulled a fast one on the league.

It's evergreen that people grossly overestimate the skills needed to be a "top 4" defender or "2nd line center." In preseason, Luchanko has confirmed every last thing I knew about his game, better or worse. And his strengths look to translate up already! But he's exactly who I thought he was in June, slightly more fast-tracked (although we previously discussed how physically mature he was, not necessarily a good thing) than I thought:

I've seen it said many times already that Luchanko is an elite skater. Celebrini isn't even an elite skater. There were maybe 2-3 taken in the 1st. My opinion? His biggest strength as a skater is off-puck when allowed a few strides/crossovers. I'd call his footwork more okay, but he can get serious build up power. I also just buried the lede. So much of his skating is without the puck or accelerating into windows for a puck. But I don't see a particularly dangerous transition player. He's not really used as a weapon.

My biggest issue that hasn't resolved -- and @VladDrag had a similar thought -- is he has puck handling issues at top speed or in traffic. Quite a bit of feeling for pucks or bobbling (it's there even on some good plays). He is a quick surveyor passing to open guys, and he has some touch, but sometimes I have this feeling his passes are out of necessity. He looks nervy attacking guys 1 on 1 or when sticks get close. Not a lot in the way of feints or maneuvering. Instantly, if you're talking "ceilings," that's the thing to which I'll point. Short area, small space skill is king.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad