2024-25 Roster Thread #1: The Beginninging

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Family had nothing to do with it.

Make up your mind. Do you believe in Family or not believe in Family?

giphy.gif

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Don’t the Flyers already have two decent goalies ? Why are they rushing Kolosov to come over ?
They also signed Finnish goalie Makiniemi just yesterday. It’ll be interesting for sure. Cal is horrible, so it’ll be between Makiniemi and Kolosov for the 3rd position. What if Fedotov blows? I can’t see this coaching staff just riding that out. So either of the 2 may challenge for the spot behind Errson. I can’t predict how it’ll play out. Goalies are voodoo.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You want to act opinionated but you don't have the guts to stake your name to any one opinion.
I think you have me confused with someone else. Not only do I regularly state my opinion, often times at odds with the hive-mind, I just stated my opinion in the very post to which you replied.

I can state it again for you: he's played well enough to be in the mix but I am not saying he has to make the team. If he makes the team, it isn't some conspiracy to justify the pick or make Briere look good or whatever the line of thinking is. The Flyers don't have a very deep roster, it really isn't some outlandish situation where a first round pick makes a shitty team out of camp. Happens every year with varying degrees of success. He may get the 9 game look. He may get longer if he sticks. It's just such a weird thing to complain about, especially after years of crying about a false narrative of the Flyers not liking young players.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I think you have me confused with someone else. Not only do I regularly state my opinion, often times at odds with the hive-mind, I just stated my opinion in the very post to which you replied.

I can state it again for you: he's played well enough to be in the mix but I am not saying he has to make the team. If he makes the team, it isn't some conspiracy to justify the pick or make Briere look good or whatever the line of thinking is. The Flyers don't have a very deep roster, it really isn't some outlandish situation where a first round pick makes a shitty team out of camp. Happens every year with varying degrees of success. He may get the 9 game look. He may get longer if he sticks. It's just such a weird thing to complain about, especially after years of crying about a false narrative of the Flyers not liking young players.

This is not the argument you think it is.

The roster was set before training camp began.

Bolded: Oh, 🖕you too bud. Backhanded comments like these help counter your "opinion" and help further prove it's a PR stunt.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
it really isn't some outlandish situation where a first round pick makes a shitty team out of camp. Happens every year with varying degrees of success.

Saying this without checking it out first could not be a better example of why you keep being told your thoughts are incomplete. It’s usually only the top few players in a draft.

But again, you’ll just stomp your feet and blame it on the decline of Batting Average as a stat or something. Anything but stopping to think.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Bolded: Oh, 🖕you too bud. Backhanded comments like these help counter your "opinion" and help further prove it's a PR stunt.
That's pretty much true for most teams, that's a GM's job.

Openings tend to come from injuries, top prospects showing they're ready and once in a while, someone comes out of nowhere and makes "an offer you can't refuse."

If a team goes into camp without the lineup being set, either they're really bad or the GM is really bad or they're up against the cap and have to fill those last couple spots with AHL+ types.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
That's pretty much true for most teams, that's a GM's job.

Openings tend to come from injuries, top prospects showing they're ready and once in a while, someone comes out of nowhere and makes "an offer you can't refuse."

If a team goes into camp without the lineup being set, either they're really bad or the GM is really bad or they're up against the cap and have to fill those last couple spots with AHL+ types.

Agree, and you put it more eloquently than I could have. It is partly why I find it peculiar there is any talk at all about Luchanko making the team.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Just to make sure because I don't want to misinterpret what you are saying. Are you telling me the Flyers are planning on playing Jett Luchanko regardless of whether or not he is ready in order to justify the pick? Make Briere look good? Or are you telling me simply that you think he doesn't deserve to make the team/don't think he will/should make the team?

Saying this without checking it out first could not be a better example of why you keep being told your thoughts are incomplete. It’s usually only the top few players in a draft.

But again, you’ll just stomp your feet and blame it on the decline of Batting Average as a stat or something. Anything but stopping to think.
Without doing a super dive the guys I know off hand that have done it recently Benson last year, Drysdale, Filip Zadina, and I think Evan Bouchard the year after that. They all had varying degrees of success. I think Benson and Drysdale (but for the injuries) stuck around and I think Zadina played maybe half a season and Bouchard I think just got a look. There are likely more with again varying degrees of success.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Without doing a super dive the guys I know off hand that have done it recently Benson last year, Drysdale, Filip Zadina, and I think Evan Bouchard the year after that. They all had varying degrees of success. I think Benson and Drysdale (but for the injuries) stuck around and I think Zadina played maybe half a season and Bouchard I think just got a look. There are likely more with again varying degrees of success.

Bouchard was a 10OA faller on draft night. Zadina was 6OA. Drysdale was 6OA. Completely different level of prospects.

The list of comps in the last ~25 years is basically ROR and Bergeron a million years ago, Cole Sillinger, and then you can argue about whether Benson was up a tier or not and I would understand it both ways. There’s Pastrnak, who went straight to the AHL rather than the NHL but had also already produced against men and is no way a relevant data point for an unspectacular producer in the most high profile Junior league in the world.

It’s very rare for a 3rd or 4th tier non-overager to go straight to the NHL. They’re the outliers of the outliers. If the argument you want to make is that this guy is so overwhelmingly talented that he is an outlier, it’s nuts but fair enough. The point is that consensus mid-1st rounders almost never go straight to the NHL. Even guys who got a rep for being rushed like Curtis Lazar went back to Juniors.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think they have any intention of keeping Luchanko, I think they're just pleasantly surprised how comfortable he looks in a NHL training camp given he turned 18 in August. He's well ahead of Frost at the same age, for example. But that doesn't mean he's ready for a 2C role, and there's no point having him replace Cates or Laughton at 3C.

I don't think this is some PR conspiracy, just hockey guys feeling much better about a risky decision.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I don't think they have any intention of keeping Luchanko, I think they're just pleasantly surprised how comfortable he looks in a NHL training camp given he turned 18 in August. He's well ahead of Frost at the same age, for example. But that doesn't mean he's ready for a 2C role, and there's no point having him replace Cates or Laughton at 3C.

I don't think this is some PR conspiracy, just hockey guys feeling much better about a risky decision.
To add why is it shocking they are letting him stay in camp until probably the end?

From my perspective The Coach/CO-GM will have heavy influence on whether he stays. If he wants him he will stay.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Bouchard was a 10OA faller on draft night. Zadina was 6OA. Drysdale was 6OA. Completely different level of prospects.

The list of comps in the last ~25 years is basically ROR and Bergeron a million years ago, Cole Sillinger, and then you can argue about whether Benson was up a tier or not and I would understand it both ways. There’s Pastrnak, who went straight to the AHL rather than the NHL but had also already produced against men and is no way a relevant data point for an unspectacular producer in the most high profile Junior league in the world.

It’s very rare for a 3rd or 4th tier non-overager to go straight to the NHL. They’re the outliers of the outliers. If the argument you want to make is that this guy is so overwhelmingly talented that he is an outlier, it’s nuts but fair enough. The point is that consensus mid-1st rounders almost never go straight to the NHL. Even guys who got a rep for being rushed like Curtis Lazar went back to Juniors.
That's a different argument though. I'm not saying and haven't been saying that he will make it and will succeed or excel or that he was projected to make it. I said it isn't outlandish that guys make the team out of camp. Then I was told that doesn't happen outside of the top few picks. Then when I pointed out a handful of guys off the top of my head, two of them don't count because "the top few players in the draft" apparently includes at least the top 20% or so of the draft. So forget Zadina and Drysdale. You then added to my examples of guys making it out of camp but are shifting the goalposts and now saying the argument is "guys who are consensus mid-1st rounders almost never go straight to the NHL." I guess I am wrong though. It would be outlandish if he makes the team out of camp. Huge PR stunt because we haven't seen this (other than the places we have seen it pretty much every year as of late)!

Now, if you want to say this is a bad idea to have him make the team because you don't think he is good enough I don't have an issue with that. From what I have seen and read I think he looks at this point that he can hang in the NHL, but not necessarily that he is a lock. Perhaps you disagree and that's fine. I have been wrong plenty of times. I have an issue with people making up conspiracy theories to fit their narrative of "Flyers management bad." We all agree the Flyers are a poorly run organization. From drafting, to development, to scouting, management, etc. they are not run well. We don't need to pretend that there are these secret plotlines about whether it is not wanting young players, or small players, or skilled players, or good players, or PR stunts about a first rounder making the team.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
That's a different argument though. I'm not saying and haven't been saying that he will make it and will succeed or excel or that he was projected to make it. I said it isn't outlandish that guys make the team out of camp. Then I was told that doesn't happen outside of the top few picks. Then when I pointed out a handful of guys off the top of my head, two of them don't count because "the top few players in the draft" apparently includes at least the top 20% or so of the draft. So forget Zadina and Drysdale. You then added to my examples of guys making it out of camp but are shifting the goalposts and now saying the argument is "guys who are consensus mid-1st rounders almost never go straight to the NHL." I guess I am wrong though. It would be outlandish if he makes the team out of camp. Huge PR stunt because we haven't seen this (other than the places we have seen it pretty much every year as of late)!

Your argument is that there is functionally no difference between the 6th pick in a draft and the expected 14th or so and that we can make that determination by an NHL training camp. I am begging you to listen and complete thoughts. You think the goal posts moved because you don’t understand what is being said. You do not get to set the parameters of what someone else is saying.

Jett Luchanko is a run of the mill mid 1st rounder. He may eventually develop into more. We don’t have any real indicators that he’s an outlier yet, but such is the nature of fandom. I hope that he is.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Your argument is that there is functionally no difference between the 6th pick in a draft and the expected 14th or so and that we can make that determination by an NHL training camp. I am begging you to listen and complete thoughts. You think the goal posts moved because you don’t understand what is being said. You do not get to set the parameters of what someone else is saying.

Jett Luchanko is a run of the mill mid 1st rounder. He may eventually develop into more. We don’t have any real indicators that he’s an outlier yet, but such is the nature of fandom. I hope that he is.
No, that's not what I am saying. I couldn't be any more clear with what I have said. I will say it again in bold. IT IS NOT OUTLANDISH FOR A PLAYER TO MAKE THE TEAM OUT OF TRAINING CAMP THE YEAR THEY ARE DRAFTED.

That is what I said. You then told me it doesn't happen outside of the first few picks. To me, first few picks means like top 3, to you it means at least top 6, so I said forget the guys that were taken at 6. Then the players that I and you pointed out outside of that range that happens and you have caveats as to why they don't count. Now you are saying "consensus mid-1st rounders" don't make it very often. So to me that sounds like someone moving the goalposts, but I guess changing your argument or adding caveats in response to an argument is not moving the goalposts.

Please don't mistake my argument for me saying Jett Luchanko is a superstar or is going to have a great rookie season or excel or anything like that. I said I think he is in the mix to make the team and if he does it isn't something outlandish. If you want to change it to "consensus mid first rounders typically don't make the NHL their first year," yeah ok that's fine they typically don't, but it isn't unheard of it isn't outlandish, it isn't indicative of some secret PR scheme to make the Flyers look good (which doesn't even make sense because if he sucks they aren't going to look good, and if he doesn't it would seem that maybe they were right and deserve to look good). Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one: they think he's good enough. They may be wrong, but not everything has to be a conspiracy theory. Plenty of things to complain about, fantasy conspiracy theories shouldn't be on the list.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This Scott Laughton kid is the new Mike Richards and makes Couturier expendable. :dunce:

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY

Now, if you want to say this is a bad idea to have him make the team because you don't think he is good enough I don't have an issue with that. From what I have seen and read I think he looks at this point that he can hang in the NHL, but not necessarily that he is a lock. Perhaps you disagree and that's fine. I have been wrong plenty of times. I have an issue with people making up conspiracy theories to fit their narrative of "Flyers management bad." We all agree the Flyers are a poorly run organization. From drafting, to development, to scouting, management, etc. they are not run well. We don't need to pretend that there are these secret plotlines about whether it is not wanting young players, or small players, or skilled players, or good players, or PR stunts about a first rounder making the team.
You cannot in the same breath say people are making things up to make the org look bad, and then say that the org is actually bad. That means we aren't making things up that means we have been proven time and time again that the Flyers are run by morons. Morons who picked an inferior prospect because of optics (passed the "small" but very talented dman) for a forward prospect who is considered mid tier.

Now is Luchanko good enough to hang in the NHL? Maybe he is but why would we want him to be good enough to just hang. His ceiling is 2nd line center and currently he is not that. While posters have bemoaned that the Flyers play lame vets over prospects, that comes from players who were more ready to play than Luchanko. It would benefit him and the Flyers more if he gets to round out his offensive game in the ohl. If the Flyers keep him on the team it's because of perceived optics. Kid plays hard, plays a team game, and look we let the young guys play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad