Prospect Info: 2024-25 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It is mentioned that his ranking is held back by injury problems which seems reasonable, imo. Even Wheeler said he's one of his favorite blueline prospects if not for the injuries. Dude lost a season, basically. And had injury woes before
Ah gotcha. I really only looked at the base rankings. Don't love that our prospects are basically "Cs" in every category they're in, but on the whole I can't argue too much with everyone's category placement. I could quibble about some guys ranked higher than they should be but whatever. A lot closer to fair than I would've expected.

Reactions: Kalv

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Still can't believe we chose Sennecke over Demidov.

I think that pick is going to bite us in the ass for years. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Still can't believe we chose Sennecke over Demidov.

I think that pick is going to bite us in the ass for years. Hope I'm wrong.
If this is the mentality you have, you'll never really be happy.

You miss on drafts and win on others. There are teams kicking themselves for not taking Zegras, will probably be teams kicking themselves for not taking Minty, etc. etc.

There will always be hits and misses.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
If this is the mentality you have, you'll never really be happy.

You miss on drafts and win on others. There are teams kicking themselves for not taking Zegras, will probably be teams kicking themselves for not taking Minty, etc. etc.

There will always be hits and misses.
I mean, it has nothing to do with my happiness. It's merely an opinion of a guy on the internet. I'll still support the picks the team does make and hope he does well.

I just think it was a reach too far and that Demidov will end up the better player.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I mean, it has nothing to do with my happiness. It's merely an opinion of a guy on the internet. I'll still support the picks the team does make and hope he does well.

I just think it was a reach too far and that Demidov will end up the better player.
I agreed with this in draft night, but the Ducks talking about Sennecke’s hockey IQ and growth potential being the reasons for the pick has me really excited.

I like the fact that they feel he has the most upside. This isn’t a “safe” pick at all and that gets me pumped.
We shall see

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I agreed with this in draft night, but the Ducks talking about Sennecke’s hockey IQ and growth potential being the reasons for the pick has me really excited.

I like the fact that they feel he has the most upside. This isn’t a “safe” pick at all and that gets me pumped.
We shall see

IMO, there were three forwards with star talents in Lindstrom, Demidov, and Sennecke. All three have some kind of issue, but all three have very high upside.

• 6'3 Lindstrom started his season off like cannon ball, but back issues derailed the second half of his season and still continues to this day. Significant risk.
  • Demidov has that whole Russia issue behind him and being only 6' was too risky, which Verbeek does put a premium on height.
  • 6'2.75 Sennecke's season took off in the 2nd half, but was it due to his brain & body being in sync or was it due to being paired with a highly effective glue guy? We need a longer burn to prove that 2nd half wasn't a fluke.
Adding meat on the bones and taking an extra year or two to develop might have been the safest route for a draft pick, despite not being the consensus top-5 pick. This past year and summer, many Duck players and prospects have bulked up tremendously under Verbeek's body building mandate.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Farjestad Game #3: Farjestad 4, Timra 1

• G Clara: Starting goalie for this game. Went 14/15.
  • LD Solberg: 2nd pairing, 0 pts, 2 SOGs, +1 rating (finally!), 2 hits, and lead the team in ice time with 19:11.

Clara is continuing to be dominant in net. This is the second game in a row he's the starting goalie. Solberg had a very good game today. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of his ascent.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Clara looks like an NHL starter 2-3 years from now. The ducks could have a nice 1A/1B with him and Dostal

Gibson gets bought out next summer for sure

Reactions: lwvs84

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
IMO, there were three forwards with star talents in Lindstrom, Demidov, and Sennecke. All three have some kind of issue, but all three have very high upside.

• 6'3 Lindstrom started his season off like cannon ball, but back issues derailed the second half of his season and still continues to this day. Significant risk.
  • Demidov has that whole Russia issue behind him and being only 6' was too risky, which Verbeek does put a premium on height.
  • 6'2.75 Sennecke's season took off in the 2nd half, but was it due to his brain & body being in sync or was it due to being paired with a highly effective glue guy? We need a longer burn to prove that 2nd half wasn't a fluke.
Adding meat on the bones and taking an extra year or two to develop might have been the safest route for a draft pick, despite not being the consensus top-5 pick. This past year and summer, many Duck players and prospects have bulked up tremendously under Verbeek's body building mandate.

I kind of feel like Verbeek puts almost too much emphasis on size. Demidov is not a frail dude or a crazy outlier. He's basically already as big or bigger than a lot of star NHL forwards (Kucherov/Panarin/Pastrnak/Nylander/Kaprizov/Point/etc). He's also going to be pretty much plug and play into the NHL for the '25-26 season.

I won't belabor the point, there's a lot that goes into these picks that we'll never know about. Maybe it had nothing to do with any of this and Demidov had zero interest in the Ducks, who knows. Hopefully Sennecke makes me look like a total moron in ten years.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I kind of feel like Verbeek puts almost too much emphasis on size. Demidov is not a frail dude or a crazy outlier. He's basically already as big or bigger than a lot of star NHL forwards (Kucherov/Panarin/Pastrnak/Nylander/Kaprizov/Point/etc). He's also going to be pretty much plug and play into the NHL for the '25-26 season.

I won't belabor the point, there's a lot that goes into these picks that we'll never know about. Maybe it had nothing to do with any of this and Demidov had zero interest in the Ducks, who knows. Hopefully Sennecke makes me look like a total moron in ten years.
I don’t think size is the main reason the ducks took Sennecke. It’s the combo of a projectable frame, high IQ(in their view), and explosive athletic talent that they seemed to emphasize

To be honest, the Carlsson and Sennecke picks are very similar. In both cases they went with the lanky projectable high IQ guy

Reactions: Kalv and Yemeth

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don’t think size is the main reason the ducks took Sennecke. It’s the combo of a projectable frame, high IQ(in their view), and explosive athletic talent that they seemed to emphasize

To be honest, the Carlsson and Sennecke picks are very similar. In both cases they went with the lanky projectable high IQ guy

You missed the point completely. All three forwards I listed have high-end talent. All three forwards I listed have flaws. Sennecke's flaw(s) were not as risky as Lindstrom's back problems or Demidov's Russian issues (where the Ducks cannot have interaction with him over in Russia) and the fact Demidov is smaller than Sennecke and Lindstrom. Sennecke is the safer pick out of the three forwards I listed.

With Sennecke, the org is banking on what he could be due to retaining his small game skills in his newer, longer frame. And Sennecke is still growing. Size and length matter because that stick radius helps both offensively and defensively. He can also generate more power on his shot with a longer frame. If Sennecke was still 5'10, then he probably wouldn't have been picked at #3. Otherwise, we would have taken Demidov, Catton, or Iginla.

I think you're stretching it here with Carlsson and Sennecke being "very similar". The Hockey News had Carlsson in their projected top-10 in their 2022 Future Watch issue and was reported at 6'2 and 185 lbs in that 2022 issue. Carlsson was a known quantity before his draft season, helped that he was also playing in the SHL already. When Carlsson was drafted, he was 6'3 and 198 lbs. Sennecke wasn't a known quantity. He didn't pop into the radar until his 2nd half of the season and playoff burst.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
I think the reasoning was that, if they both hit their peak, Sennecke will be the more valuable player.

The team is betting on our current prospects being good enough to be a good team, allowing them to take the risk.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
In the interviews I've seen it seems like the Ducks put a big emphasis on in-person scouting. AFAIK they only have one scout in Russia, so maybe they just weren't comfortable drafting someone they didn't have a lot of eyes on over some other talented kids that they scouted more.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
In the interviews I've seen it seems like the Ducks put a big emphasis on in-person scouting. AFAIK they only have one scout in Russia, so maybe they just weren't comfortable drafting someone they didn't have a lot of eyes on over some other talented kids that they scouted more.
Or, they just think Sennecke will be better.

The truth is no one outside of that room knows why they pick who they do.

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Verbeek was on Spittin' Chiclets recently and said they picked Sennecke because they believe he can play any game whether that's a skill game or power game and be effective. They were thinking playoffs. It's obvious Pat wants forwards with skill and size and that is exemplified in the Gauthier acquisition and the Sennecke pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad