GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Why isn't Mcgroarty projected to be a roster player? Particularly considering how poor The Penguins depth at forward is.
Because we prefer to play ancient vets that other teams had to pay us to take since our coach loves low event hockey and is afraid a young player might be more likely to make a mistake…

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm so confused.

You're not giving him away, but it's best for the organization if he leaves? What?

You don't want him here because he's going to be called up before McGroarty, Pono, etc. but also he's never going to be given a chance? Huh?

This just doesn't make any sense. You, I, nor anybody else really knows what prospects are going to work out and when or what injuries are going to happen in the NHL or the AHL. If he still has some potential, you try to keep him. Period.

Yes. Poulin is in a similar situation to Ty Smith.

What does that add to us?

He's either just waiting out his contractual days in the AHL or getting called up to play 6-8 minutes.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The Pens get zero benefits of the doubt with me when it comes to youth. Sorry.

This is not about Sam Poulin. This is philosophical. When the Pens were on the way up, they did almost nothing wrong. Once they started winning, they did almost nothing right.

They cannot see the forest from the trees when it comes to getting back to their winning ways. They need young, inexpensive ELCs with higher upside in order to help Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson and Letang get back to winning in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, we are trying to figure out between Noel Acciari and Cody Glass for 13th forward.

Unless that changes, those legends are just riding things out.
I mean, I guess that's one way to approach it but why aren't we mad about Lukas Svejkovsky? Justin Almeida? Jan Drozg? Niclas Almari? Anton Zlobin? These are all guys drafted by us, given a chance at the AHL/ECHL level but never solidified an NHL roster spot. What's the difference in our anger now with Poulin and any of them? Is it because Poulin was a 1st round pick? Or do we truly believe that in his 6 NHL games where he has 1 assist there were other worldly levels of talent that Sullivan/Hextal/Dubas just refuse to see?

As mad as we "philosophically" want to be, we have to acknowledge that there's a decent burden on the player, themselves, to perform. Otherwise, we get the exact same thing we constantly bitch about - bad players being gifted roster spots that they didn't earn.

I can get on board with your view on Acciari. I've been advocating him getting off the roster for quite some time now, certainly well into last season. Glass, however, has proved a ton more at the NHL level than Poulin and honestly, I have zero qualms about him being given a spot over Poulin. I would suggest that if we waive and lose Poulin, it's okay because we got paid to take Glass. Glass is what I am hoping Poulin can eventually become. He's got a ways to go though.

Reactions: Factorial

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
lol. What vets are we trading that have any value? For at least two of the players the other team had to give us picks to take them. Maybe a late round pick for Eller?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Man it’s super great all those teams passed on Michkov for Philly to get him. Still stoked about that.
A lot of NHL GMs are just as dumb as we are, some even more dumb.

Passing on Michkov should get guys fired, and blackballed for letting him go to Philly.

The only silver lining is you know they’re going to mess it up somehow. They’ll play hardball with his 2nd contract or try to make him fly with a collapsed lung like Lindros and he’ll leave.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I’ve already explained this. He will be getting top usage in WBS. It opens that up.

If he is called up, it means one of our players with higher potential isn’t.
His competition in WBS are Pono and Broz who are basically in the same position, just a whopping 1 year younger. If he's playing better than those guys, he should get top usage in WBS. If he's not, then he shouldn't. Simple.

1) again, if we're putting ourselves in Dubas' shoes, you can call up whoever you want. 2) if you're so concerned that he's only going to get 6min a night if he gets called up, why are you so eager to have that be McGroarty, Pono, etc.? Wouldn't it be better for those guys to stay in the AHL getting top line minutes? Or you think Sully is going to turn over a new leaf with those guys and give them 15min a night but wouldn't with Poulin for some reason?

The argument you are making now is that Poulin just sucks and isn't worth the time or effort to try and develop him into something. Which if that's the case, that's fine. I disagree, but you also said before that you aren't writing him off yet. If you're not writing him off completely, then it makes no sense to get rid of him. Organizational depth is good. Having 3 relatively young guys with some potential is better than having 2.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I lol'd when I saw he was with the B-roster and Boko Imama is dressing for Sunday.

I don't think Imama is actually going to be playing that game, he'll be the healthy scratch at forward.

If Puustinen is making the NHL team, he's likely going to be playing with someone in that B roster whether it be Lizotte or Eller at center. I think what line he ends up being used on in that game (such as if he's playing with Eller versus Ponomarev) is going to be the indication for what they're thinking with him.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that they'll end up using him in a way that suggests he's WBS bound. I'm figuring that their top-6 will look something pretty close to:

O'Connor-Eller-Puljujarvi
McGroarty-Ponomarev-Puustinen

His competition in WBS are Pono and Broz who are basically in the same position, just a whopping 1 year younger. If he's playing better than those guys, he should get top usage in WBS. If he's not, then he shouldn't. Simple.

1) again, if we're putting ourselves in Dubas' shoes, you can call up whoever you want. 2) if you're so concerned that he's only going to get 6min a night if he gets called up, why are you so eager to have that be McGroarty, Pono, etc.? Wouldn't it be better for those guys to stay in the AHL getting top line minutes? Or you think Sully is going to turn over a new leaf with those guys and give them 15min a night but wouldn't with Poulin for some reason?

The argument you are making now is that Poulin just sucks and isn't worth the time or effort to try and develop him into something. Which if that's the case, that's fine. I disagree, but you also said before that you aren't writing him off yet. If you're not writing him off completely, then it makes no sense to get rid of him. Organizational depth is good. Having 3 relatively young guys with some potential is better than having 2.

Yeah not only is this true, but if you trade Poulin, you're just going to replace him with someone even older that has even less of a chance at making the NHL. It's not like the Penguins are swimming in center depth in WBS, if they trade Poulin all that means is either Huntington or Koppanen will be a top-9 center for them.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
They didn’t. He said he would only play for Philly. No way Michkov goes and plays in Columbus.
Don't buy it. May have been his preference but I would have called that bluff, unless maybe I was Columbus.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Puustinen isn’t making this team and it’s a god damn shame. The ONE guy who showed a pulse in the bottom six last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad