GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Is this a real possibility? Seems stupid, so it probably will happen. The competition for 7th D is garbage (Aho, Ludvig, Shea, etc) vs St. Ivany, who very may well be garbage but looked good last year. That's not to mention Graves is guaranteed a spot and he is a literal dumpster fire.

The competition for 13th and 14th forward will see someone actually with potential/intrigue getting waived as it is.
EK is hurt I think is why

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Yeah Puustinen’s usage is moronic and is another glowing case of Sullivan being stupid. I just don’t see any other young guy not making the team as a mistake.

They should be playing the 12 best forwards and I think those forwards right now are:

O’Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Beauvillier-Eller-Puustinen
Lizotte-Hayes-Puljujarvi

I just don’t feel like any of the young guys have shown to be better than anyone in this group, at least not yet. The love Acciari is getting from Sullivan is nonsensical but that’s really the only disagreement I have.

I would have like to seen Poulin get an honest chance. My only real issue is with the waiver eligible guys. The others can be called back up.

But yeah if Puustinen gets snagged by another team or given the press box it’s going to be frustrating.

Goodleaf

Love a good stick.
Nov 15, 2010
Of course. He’s the gift that keeps on giving. I’m sure having 0 training camp and being banged up early is going to do wonders for a bounce back year.
It began earlier than expected this year. "day to day" on September 18th, questionable for the season opener.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If/when Graves sucks again this year, I'm curious to see what paths this team tries to take with him. They're not going to attach picks to move him with where they are as a team, but I don't think Dubas is going to buyout his first major UFA signing 2 years into it. I think trading him for another terrible deal is really the only way out, but there aren't a ton of contracts that are worse than Graves' in the NHL.

First article / penguin material I've read in a few months and it hit the sweet spot for the mentality I'll be going into this season with.

Little hope.
No expectations.

They're the same exact team going into this year as they were last year, just with more picks and prospects added. I don't think anyone should be viewing them as anything different than that.

Reactions: LOGiK

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Pretty much….although I would put #1 as Mike Sullivan still being coach and the others to follow lol
Defensive-minded grinders that, in the best-case scenario, will play to a 0-0 tie. If the top-six dominates and the power play excels the way it should, it might actually be a formula that can work
The problem last year was, they COULDN'T play themselves to a 0-0 tie and COULDN'T produce enough to make up for it. How long was it before a bottom 6 player scored a goal?

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The problem last year was, they COULDN'T play themselves to a 0-0 tie and COULDN'T produce enough to make up for it. How long was it before a bottom 6 player scored a goal?
Yep, totally, it’s a failed formula…is that Dubas’ formula, as the article suggests , or Mike Sullivan’s, since it predated last season? Probably both of theirs…it’s a fine formula if you’re Toronto or EDM, with top talent in your top six…we don’t have that…we need offensively gifted players in the bottom six, which is why I’m so pissed at the treatment Puusty has been receiving because he can play in this league and has offensive skill that worked pretty well with Eller last season..

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Maybe some more cuts will be made today?
Saw sullivan said "some guys might play back to back games this weekend" But we are still like 50+ players in camp. More than enough for 2 full squads.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Poulin will be waived now, won't even be a trade for a late pick like I expected. That might be more Puustinen if they have to

I'd rather waive Poulin and have him slip through waivers than trade him for a late pick. He's probably not getting claimed off waivers and him getting more time in WBS is good for his development, due to the time he has missed in the past.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd rather waive Poulin and have him slip through waivers than trade him for a late pick. He's probably not getting claimed off waivers and him getting more time in WBS is good for his development, due to the time he has missed in the past.

Poulin is never getting a chance here. I'd rather see him leave the organization and go somewhere where he actualy gets to play more than 6 games at 8 minute a night.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

To be fair, the Penguins bottom-6 was actually fine in terms of goal differential last year at 5v5. Without Crosby and Malkin on the ice, the Penguins had a 48-54 goal differential. That's not good but it was way worse in 2022-2023 (49-71 goal differential).

They need their bottom-6 to produce more and have more of a net positive, but I don't think it's that far off from being able to do that. They just need some of the Ponomarev/Broz/McGroarty group to develop well and really help out the bottom-6 (either themselves or by bumping someone like O'Connor to L3 permanently).

Poulin is never getting a chance here. I'd rather see him leave the organization and go somewhere where he actualy gets to play more than 6 games at 8 minute a night.

I'd rather see the Penguins keep Poulin, because keeping Poulin makes the Penguins deeper and I'm a Penguins fan who wants what's best for the Penguins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad