Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
The Bruins need top six scoring badly enough to take on the bolded for me.

It would cost the assets you got from the Ullmark trade. Thought was actually put into it as well as conversations with CLB fans and Mods. Cheers.

So, for arguments sake, you would surrender a] JC and a seventh overall draft selection from OTT (unlikely to happen in any case, as Ullmark would likely veto the move) or b] exchange New Jersey's 10th overall pick when you could get a very good future center, someone who might be a mainstay at that critical position for years to come, long after Elias Lindholm, Chandler Stephenson, etc. has left the scene?

I'm not doing that. The Bruins need to restock the cupboard in the worst way. IF you ask me, which you didn't, I would posit that the best way for Boston to remedy both situations is find their center through the draft, and a high draft selection at that.

Laine may give you what he gives you, but I do not see the Bruins becoming an elite, genuine Cup contender any time soon, regardless of what Sweeney does beginning 1 July.

I'd rather build for the future as Swayman, Lohrei, Beecher, Poitras and others develop in the meantime.

This is Sweeney's first real make or break offseason. He has the money, the intelligence and the scouting to transform the organization's fortunes in significant fashion going forward.

I am not thinking next season or the season thereafter. And to his credit, I don't believe Sweeney is, either.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
For clarification, Zadorov is 100% not a top pairing D. The hold-up here in Vancouver is that they don't want to pay that much for a bottom pairing guy. In the playoffs he elevated to second pairing but Bruins fans would HATE his defensive game as a top pair. Perhaps he plays well with Carlo on the 2nd pairing as Lohrei develops but I'd much rather spend the $6,000,000 on top six help than a middle-man D.

I like Zadarov but Dillon can do just as good a job for much less money. Biggest difference if Zadarov's shot.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So, for arguments sake, you would surrender a] JC and a seventh overall draft selection from OTT (unlikely to happen in any case, as Ullmark would likely veto the move) or b] exchange New Jersey's 10th overall pick when you could get a very good future center, someone who might be a mainstay at that critical position for years to come, long after Elias Lindholm, Chandler Stephenson, etc. has left the scene?

I'm not doing that. The Bruins need to restock the cupboard in the worst way. IF you ask me, which you didn't, I would posit that the best way for Boston to remedy both situations is find their center through the draft, and a high draft selection at that.

Laine may give you what he gives you, but I do not see the Bruins becoming an elite, genuine Cup contender any time soon, regardless of what Sweeney does beginning 1 July.

I'd rather build for the future as Swayman, Lohrei, Beecher, Poitras and others develop in the meantime.

This is Sweeney's first real make or break offseason. He has the money, the intelligence and the scouting to transform the organization's fortunes in significant fashion going forward.

I am not thinking next season or the season thereafter. And to his credit, I don't believe Sweeney is, either.
You have to look at the draft itself though. Very unlikely you’re getting Lindstrom at 7 much less 10. Then you have Catton (who probably doesn’t make it to 10), who is 5’10 and we all know how that would go around here. Then a longer term project in Helenius. The next group of Hage/Boisvert would be down in the teens. There’s no guarantee that either Catton or Helenius surpass Poitras any time soon.

This is the draft to get in the top 10 if you want a high end defenseman. Or if you’d like a winger (Demidov/Iginla/Eiserman). But there’s no bonafide can’t miss 1C sitting at the top of this draft, and certainly not at 10.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
mil hiIf someone told you you could add Lindholm, Kane and Laine to the Bruins roster at the cost of $15,000,000 in cap space and Ullmark, would you do it? You'd also still have 6-7 million in cap space after signing Swayman to add to the D.--
How you going to do that Lindholm wants 8-9 mil himself

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Boston Bruins have what’s sure to be a busy offseason ahead of them, and it appears they’ve already made a decision when it comes to one of their bottom-six forwards.

Oskar Steen’s agent, Joakim Persson, confirmed to the VF outlet that the free-agent-to-be will be looking for a new team. NHL free agency officially begins July 1.

Boston has given us permission to already start talking to other teams to see what interest there is,” Persson told VF, via Google translate. “So those are the conversations we are in the middle of now, and I’m going over to Vegas for the NHL draft on (June) 28-29 and continue to have conversations and dialogues there.”

Steen was placed on waivers by Boston in February and returned to Providence. In 34 games for the Bruins, he amassed just one point — a goal on Nov. 14 against the Buffalo Sabres. Steen finished the 2023-24 season with Providence after clearing waivers.

The 26-year-old finished with 16 points (12 goals, four assists) in 25 games for Providence.

Reactions: Gordoff

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Ullmark isnt waiving to go back to BUF. Zero chance.
Unless you're his agent or friend you can't speak to 0% chances. Also, it's all just for fun as none of our suggestions are happening. But in a what if scenario where would it end up

Buffalo will need to resign Ullmark, so Sabre's, savings vanishes pretty quick.
Not really because instead of the buyout carrying over 6 years it's over 3 in this scenario. Annual is likely a small margin higher in this scenario where I think that may be where the % would need to be pulled back a little.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Give me...

Elias Lindholm to cover the 1C needs
Dawson Mercer in a trade around Linus Ullmark
Brenden Dillon for some size and toughness on the back end. Don't think he will be too pricey
Mathieu Olivier in a trade for Lauko to keep Trent Frederic from getting his head kicked in constantly
Brandon Duhaime for some speed and energy on the 4th line

I also don't hate the idea of a guy like David Perron or Patrick Kane

Done. Everyone pack your shit.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Have to think Lindholm is for sure done in VAN now

CF Says they have about 19m to spend.

Big three unsigned from last year.

Myers. Zadorov, Lindholm

Plus they have a couple of bottom 6 forward spots to fill.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Thoughts on Laine?
I was hoping no one would ask me that!:laugh:

High risk, but potentially very high reward.

I’d be inclined to give it a go. But in all honesty I really don’t know much at all about the challenges he’s faced. Definitely had a rough go where he’s been but neither place seemed like a great fit (Peg room seemed a mess throughout)

I wonder if the PA program was/is related to mental health? I only say that because if it’s alcohol or abuse type stuff there’s usually some rumblings.

I will say that if it is that (TOTAL speculation here) Boston’s culture would be one of the best for that. Say what you will about our boys, the reputation for a strong and supportive room seems iron clad and hard fought for.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Does not matter what side you are on, but Haggs likes to hear himself talk, so take it with a grain of salt, make your own decisions...............unless you want to listen to me...........haha

I'm not casting asparagus
1718747684946.png
but for the life of me I don't understand why goaltenders appear to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the NHL.

Jeremy Swayman is 25, a proven elite goaltender, likely a cornerstone of the franchise now and going forward, and in my view, already at least twice the leader and competitor that Leon Draisaitl is or ever will be.

You don't trade away a young, elite, fiercely competitive goaltender who possess what politicians used to call "Fire in the belly," attitude to spare, and a winning mentality. I don't care how good LD is.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
What about Frost?

Frost’s name has been put down as a player the team could trade, seemingly for a few years now. Whether it was a stylistic fit or him just not being able to produce — the latter he eventually shrugged off as now has back-to-back seasons with a decent rate of point production — Frost was seen as a player the Flyers could eventually move for someone they just prefer more as an overall player, whether it was a more physical forward or a defenseman they sorely needed.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Two good reasons, IMO.

😂

(But I don’t want him for what he’ll get paid elsewhere)

Maybe.

Big difference this year is that there is a lot more money out there than last.
I am sure there are a quite a few teams that would not mind Zadorov on their team, but any GM, that signs him for 6 and 6 should be fired.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'm not casting asparagus View attachment 884065 but for the life of me I don't understand why goaltenders appear to be the Rodney Dangerfield of the NHL.

Jeremy Swayman is 25, a proven elite goaltender for years to come, a cornerstone of the franchise now and going forward, and in my view, already at least twice the leader and competitor that Leon Draisaitl is or ever will be.

You don't trade away young elite goaltending who possess what politicians used to call "Fire in the belly," attitude to spare, and a winning mentality. I don't care how good LD is.
I get what you're saying however vezina Ullmark "ain't to shabby himself". He possesses much of what you described in Swayman. Age is a factor as is cap space.

LD is a beast that would fit in perfect with this team. Goalies can be found. A 6 "2" 207 lbs center that averages 110 points per year is near impossible to find.

No doubt Bruins would need to add in a Swayman for LD trade.

Reactions: GordonHowe

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I am sure there are a quite a few teams that would not mind Zadorov on their team, but any GM, that signs him for 6 and 6 should be fired.

Maybe.

Depends on how the team is structured though. Maybe he’s the missing piece somewhere?

Here he’d be a luxury they probably can’t afford because the forward group needs so much help.

Also, don’t forget the cap is supposedly going up pretty notably in the coming years.

If a contender needs a guy like him for 2nd pair, his 6 million this year might only be the equivalent of 4/4.5 in a short 2/3 years.

If he helps win a cup, it’s well worth it.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I get what you're saying however vezina Ullmark "ain't to shabby himself". He possesses much of what you described in Swayman. Age is a factor as is cap space.

LD is a beast that would fit in perfect with this team. Goalies can be found. A 6 "2" 207 lbs center that averages 110 points per year is near impossible to find.

No doubt Bruins would need to add in a Swayman for LD trade.
I must to the NewsHour, but I wouldn't do it. Seriously.

Reactions: Blowfish

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If you are bored, come join us at 630

I told ya once, start this stream earlier, it only kills a half hour of my "work" day, I require 1.5 hrs of my day to be used for Bruin chats :)

I like the nasty in Zadorov but for my money I`m playing Lindholm and Lohrei ahead of him, so that makes him a 5/6 and I don`t pay last D pairings 6 mill no matter how much I like him physically

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Armstrong in Utah has tons of money and needs D. If they want to be competitive Zadarov would be a good top 4 D for them. Yes overpaid but I'm not sure how easy it will be to attract players to Utah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad