2023 Prospect Poll #20

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the Sabres' #20 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
RESULTS SO FAR:
  1. Devon Levi, G (+4)
  2. Zach Benson, W (NR)
  3. Jiri Kulich, W (+3)
  4. Matthew Savoie, W/C (--)
  5. Noah Ostlund, C (+2)
  6. Isak Rosen, W (+3)
  7. Ryan Johnson, D (+3)
  8. Anton Wahlberg, C/W (NR)
  9. Nikita Novikov, D (+7)
  10. Prokhor Poltapov, W (+3)
  11. Viktor Neuchev, W (+3)
  12. Lukas Rousek, W (+5)
  13. Maxim Strbak, D (NR)
  14. Tyson Kozak, C (+1)
  15. Vsevolod Komarov, D (NR)
  16. Alexander Kisakov, W (-4)
  17. Olivier Nadeau, W/C (+3)
  18. Gavin McCarthy, D (NR)
  19. Mats Lindgren, D (-1)

RULES: Each poll will remain open for 2 days. In the case of a tie within the top 10, I'll create a 1-day runoff poll to decide the winner. Ties outside of the top 10 will be let stand as ties. For each additional poll, I will add the most commented next to add prospect.

ELIGIBILITY: All players whose rights are held by the Buffalo Sabres and who are eligible to win the Calder Trophy for the 2023-24 season are eligible inclusion. That means a prospect is eligible if--
  • He is under age 26 (as of September 15, 2023);
  • He has played no more than 25 games in any single preceding season; and
  • He has not played 6 or more games in each of any two or more preceding seasons.

I won't do any more add votes from this point. There's only a handful of names left, so I'm just going to add everyone who got mentioned in the least thread, and those will be the poll options the rest of the way.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I would take every single name on the list before Leinonen.

any chance to make it beats his

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I’m going to round out the top 20 with leinonen. But Richard and Miedema are going to be two of the players in most interested in seeing this year…and both could be big risers.

Our top 20 is absolutely absurd. And we still have a bunch of interesting guys

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY

I was not a fan of the pick, and he did little to assuage concerns last year. With that said, goalie development curves are hardly linear, and I would not count out a well regarded 19 year old goalie.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
What make you think that tho? You could be right, I just need help seeing it.

Big, athletic goalie that moves well. His major issues -- glove-hand and rebound control -- are very coachable. He also doesn't seem like a headcase.

So I still think he has legit NHL starting potential, which is more than I can say about anyone else in the poll. Might take some time, and goalies are voodoo.

Reactions: Dingo44

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Big, athletic goalie that moves well. His major issues -- glove-hand and rebound control -- are very coachable. He also doesn't seem like a headcase.

So I still think he has legit NHL starting potential, which is more than I can say about anyone else in the poll. Might take some time, and goalies are voodoo.
I get the size and athleticism but he hasn't show anything to me (YET) that he can be a legit NHL starter. I am nowhere near saying he's a bust or will never be anything because to your point goalies are voodoo and take time but there doesn't seem to be enough data to have an opinion on him one way or the other.

It would've been nice to see him in last years prospects challenge. Doesn't sound like he'll be at this years challenge either. Hopefully he'll have a healthy full season this year.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I would take Richards and Ratzlaff here before anyone else since they both showed up and out at the Prospects Challenge.

I know it's not much to go on but they were head and shoulders better than anyone else left on this list at it that was there.

AaronPines

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
Ceiling wise, I'm stuck on the two goalie prospects here. Leinonen again, but Ratzlaff, especially if (as The Athletic projected) he makes the WJC as a backup, could be on an upswing.

I like a few of these guys as AHL guys, but I think they're at their peak— "they might get a handful of NHL games."

AaronPines

Jun 19, 2007
Denver

I'd give a 19 year old, as a backup at JYP, in a pretty good men's pro league another chance of it.

If he doesn't make the thin Finns WJC team this year, or push Vehvilainen for minutes on a not great JYP team— maybe you're right. But I think other than just being upset the Sabres spent a 2nd on a goalie last year, it's hard to see him having a lower ceiling than 25 year old Brandon Biro who has already gone through the peak development years and seems to have maxed out as "that guy who will get a couple NHL games."

Reactions: Jacob582

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't want to write off Topias so early but I'm also surprised he's winning a poll

Draft pedigree most likely. He probably has the the biggest opportunity to be a mover in the next poll or two if he is healthy and puts together a quality season.

Ceiling wise, I'm stuck on the two goalie prospects here. Leinonen again, but Ratzlaff, especially if (as The Athletic projected) he makes the WJC as a backup, could be on an upswing.

I like a few of these guys as AHL guys, but I think they're at their peak— "they might get a handful of NHL games."

The other ceiling options are likely Miedema or Richard. From the floor side of things, Cederqvist perhaps.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I mean, we are talking about the 20th ranked prospect in the pool. I still have Cederqvist above him, but it's not unreasonable for Topias to be in this position.
I don't think it's unreasonable at all. There's just been a lurking bad sentiment surrounding him here. I'm surprised, not angry or disappointed. I voted Ceder but Topias has a high ceiling, just not a big likelihood.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I don't think it's unreasonable at all. There's just been a lurking bad sentiment surrounding him here. I'm surprised, not angry or disappointed. I voted Ceder but Topias has a high ceiling, just not a big likelihood.

Frankly we’re at the point where hype is no longer an option, and I’m at the point where I can see the player being on a “mid-decent” teams lineup. And players with more growth already win my vote, versus the more recently drafted players. I know that’s a knock against those younger guys, but that’s my thing.

Reactions: Duddy and Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Frankly we’re at the point where hype is no longer an option, and I’m at the point where I can see the player being on a “mid-decent” teams lineup. And players with more growth already win my vote, versus the more recently drafted players. I know that’s a knock against those younger guys, but that’s my thing.
I get that. I tend to be the same way in that I'll grade a dude a little higher if he's been successful post draft.

There's a lot of factors - league, draft status, success rate, player type...and we all do it a little differently. A guy like Kozak seems like a sure fire NHLer to me... eventually but doesn't have the potential of say, Neuchev, who if can climb into the NHL will be a dazzler.

For Topias, I thought I liked him more than most here but the community proved me wrong. I'm cool with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad