GDT: 2023 NHL Draft - Rounds 2-7, 8am PT/11am ET - NHLN, ESPN+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
After years of drafting mainly Canadians, Americans and Swedes, today the Ducks have drafted an Italian, a Belarussian and a Swiss.
its time to draft Israeli guy!

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I know a lot of people, me included, wanted Fantilli, but I still stick by what I said about Carlsson pre-draft... he's a more "plug and play" player that will work with more players than Fantilli will. It seems like we drafted guys that could potentially be the perfect fit too... big scoring wingers with speed, IQ, and defense. If he pans (Perrault) out, a Zegras-Carlsson-Perrault line could be good too with Z and Carlsson drawing all the attention and Perrault being able to get open. That would leave one of the big wings with McTavish and Terry and possibly one with Lundy and Gaucher. There are plenty of wingers in the system now, we "just" need to hit on 3 (2 top 6 and a 3rd line).

Now we need to hope that some of our D pan out (which so far is going well).

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I know a lot of people, me included, wanted Fantilli, but I still stick by what I said about Carlsson pre-draft... he's a more "plug and play" player that will work with more players than Fantilli will. It seems like we drafted guys that could potentially be the perfect fit too... big scoring wingers with speed, IQ, and defense. If he pans (Perrault) out, a Zegras-Carlsson-Perrault line could be good too with Z and Carlsson drawing all the attention and Perrault being able to get open. That would leave one of the big wings with McTavish and Terry and possibly one with Lundy and Gaucher. There are plenty of wingers in the system now, we "just" need to hit on 3 (2 top 6 and a 3rd line).

Now we need to hope that some of our D pan out (which so far is going well).

On Madden's review of our prospects, I think we're looking for "support" wingers for our top-2 lines. MM believes that Myatovic can be an elite "support" winger for one of the top-2 lines.

A player I think that might have a chance of being a support winger for the top-2 lines could be Connor Hvidston. Hvidston was drafted because he's a shutdown forward, but his offense sprung to life this past season, having a scoring rate barely higher than Gaucher's. Hvid the kid's got a nose for the net because he became the youngest Gull to score a goal, beating McTavish. Keep an eye on him for this season, Swift Current of the WHL.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
On Madden's review of our prospects, I think we're looking for "support" wingers for our top-2 lines. MM believes that Myatovic can be an elite "support" winger for one of the top-2 lines.

A player I think that might have a chance of being a support winger for the top-2 lines could be Connor Hvidston. Hvidston was drafted because he's a shutdown forward, but his offense sprung to life this past season, having a scoring rate barely higher than Gaucher's. Hvid the kid's got a nose for the net because he became the youngest Gull to score a goal, beating McTavish. Keep an eye on him for this season, Swift Current of the WHL.
We've got the hard part drafted (elite forwards), in theory the complimentary wingers should be the easy part. There are plenty of guys and with the versatility of what we have, it doesn't even have to be a specific guy that ends up good.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
From Pronman of The Athletic. This makes me feel a bit better about this draft:

Anaheim Ducks: A-

Leo Carlsson is an excellent prospect. The Carlsson vs. Fantilli debate has been done a lot — I leaned the other way, and it’s not going to be rehashed here. Carlsson can be a star No. 1 center and that means a lot. Nico Myatovic, Carey Terrance, Coulson Pitre and Damian Clara all have real chances to play in the NHL too. The Ducks added a lot of skill while also getting a lot bigger. Carlsson is the only sure thing, but I think one of their Day 2 guys will be a career NHLer too.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

Leo Carlsson is an excellent prospect. The Carlsson vs. Fantilli debate has been done a lot — I leaned the other way, and it’s not going to be rehashed here. Carlsson can be a star No. 1 center and that means a lot. Nico Myatovic, Carey Terrance, Coulson Pitre and Damian Clara all have real chances to play in the NHL too. The Ducks added a lot of skill while also getting a lot bigger. Carlsson is the only sure thing, but I think one of their Day 2 guys will be a career NHLer too.
I don't care for "chances to play in the NHL too"... I'm tired of having that "great success" of guys playing a few games in the NHL and end up being waiver/AHL fodder... I want real star/core players. I'd rather have only 1-2 make it if they were keepers.

Reactions: lwvs84

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Really good stuff. Thanks for sharing. As I said before, after the WC was really torn between Fantilli and Carlsson, since I thought Carlsson had a much better tournament. After watching so many highlights, feel even Better with the selection.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't care for "chances to play in the NHL too"... I'm tired of having that "great success" of guys playing a few games in the NHL and end up being waiver/AHL fodder... I want real star/core players. I'd rather have only 1-2 make it if they were keepers.

Highest chances of finding star/core players are usually drafting them in the top-10. The chances of finding those types of players reduces greatly away from the top-10.

2021 class looks as though we might have found three core players in McTavish, Zellweger, and Hinds. McTavish looks like a star, but he's a #3 OA.

2022 class sets us up with potentially three core players in Mintyukov, Gaucher, and Luneau. Minty and Luneau look like stars. Minty was #10 and Luneau was high, first rd talent that fell in the draft due to knee surgery. With Luneau's production this season, he should have been a top-10 pick.

Reactions: lwvs84

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Total projection on my part here but to me the fact that we appear to be going in on drafting good role players and specifically size means that our front office has a lot of confidence in our smaller skilled players and doesn’t want to crowd them out of the future roster and I think that’s nice.

Reactions: mightyquack

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Overall I think we did quite nice. On the other had I have no clue why we are not trying on guys like Cristall when we own 4 picks from 33 to 65. I mean this boy, if he starts to mature, has first line potential with the wow effect. Similar size, similar numbers and situation Brayden Point was in. This I do not get. Also I tend to believe we would not draft players like Kucherov.

To sum it up:
Thrilled with Carlsson, Terrance, Pitre, Sidorov and Port
Neutral on Clara
Not so sure about: Myatovich, Smith and Dionicio

Anyway, overall not much to complain about.

PS: I still do not know how drafts overall work. Why players like Port fall that low (Heidt as well). Then we draft Dionicio and Smith ahead of him. Looking at his videos and the eliteprosopect scouting report, he is very solid and really young.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Drafted in the PV era:

6'0
1​
6'1
4​
6'2
3​
6'3
4​
6'4
2​
6'5
1​
6'6
2​

They have drafted more 6'6 players then anyone below 6'1.
1688117697493.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad