Prospect Info: [2023 - 69th] Jacob Fowler (NCAA - Boston College)

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

There was a ton of talent on the ice over the weekend but for my money, the best player in both games was the man in net for BC. Jacob Fowler was fantastic in his introduction to this rivalry, holding an immensely talented Terriers team to just four goals across the two games. He stopped 58 of the 62 shots that he faced and perhaps most impressively, he kept BU’s biggest names off the board for a long time despite the fact that they had plenty of scoring chances. BU’s two highest scorers - Macklin Celebrini and Lane Hutson - were both blanked on Friday night and only managed to get on the board late on Saturday when Celebrini finally scored on a shot through traffic. And Fowler probably could have had an assist of his own on an earlier goal in the third, when he started an odd-man rush opportunity with a great kick save.

We’ve talked a lot about how good the freshman class has been this season but it feels like most of that is in reference to the trio of forwards in Ryan Leonard, Will Smith, and Gabe Perreault. But Fowler has been just as good if not better than them. Pick a statistic and there’s a good chance Fowler is near the top of the leaderboard. Not the Hockey East leaderboard and not just for freshman, but in the country. His .924 save percentage is good for sixth best, he’s #10 in goals against average, and he’s tied for first in terms of just the raw wins with 18. Fowler has been the rock solid, every night goalie that we all hoped he would be basically from the first game of the season, and he stood out even more over the biggest weekend of the year.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Some very high praise for Fowler from Ryan Whitney on spitting chicklets podcast. Starts rought 28 minutes in if anyone cares to listen.

Haha whit went hard on that one.

"Future NHL all-star."
"It's like Dominik Hasek in net."
"He's like Hasek combined with Price combined with Roy combined with Brodeur"
"I saw a college goalie this weekend that like I've never seen before"

He would do well on HFboards lol. It sounds like he's mostly basing that all off last weekend.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

There was a ton of talent on the ice over the weekend but for my money, the best player in both games was the man in net for BC. Jacob Fowler was fantastic in his introduction to this rivalry, holding an immensely talented Terriers team to just four goals across the two games. He stopped 58 of the 62 shots that he faced and perhaps most impressively, he kept BU’s biggest names off the board for a long time despite the fact that they had plenty of scoring chances. BU’s two highest scorers - Macklin Celebrini and Lane Hutson - were both blanked on Friday night and only managed to get on the board late on Saturday when Celebrini finally scored on a shot through traffic. And Fowler probably could have had an assist of his own on an earlier goal in the third, when he started an odd-man rush opportunity with a great kick save.

We’ve talked a lot about how good the freshman class has been this season but it feels like most of that is in reference to the trio of forwards in Ryan Leonard, Will Smith, and Gabe Perreault. But Fowler has been just as good if not better than them. Pick a statistic and there’s a good chance Fowler is near the top of the leaderboard. Not the Hockey East leaderboard and not just for freshman, but in the country. His .924 save percentage is good for sixth best, he’s #10 in goals against average, and he’s tied for first in terms of just the raw wins with 18. Fowler has been the rock solid, every night goalie that we all hoped he would be basically from the first game of the season, and he stood out even more over the biggest weekend of the year.
I think we all expected more out of Fowler...

Luckily the Habs took 3 goalies, so that takes a bit of the sting out of Fowler's disappointment...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Some very high praise for Fowler from Ryan Whitney on spitting chicklets podcast. Starts rought 28 minutes in if anyone cares to listen.
I,m a big fan of Fowler. Also think he's No1 material. But geez...talk about overreaction by Whitney here..lol

Reactions: Dutronc

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
I,m a big fan of Fowler. Also think he's No1 material. But geez...talk about overreaction by Whitney here..lol
Oh for sure it was. It's based off of the back to back with bc and bu but it's nice to see some recognition for the kid! I'm not anticipating a Hasek Price Roy concoction. I'll settle for either clone :sarcasm:.

On a serious note sure does look likes he's putting up a he'll of a season. I like his swagger. I'm rooting for him.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Whitney is just buttering up the biggest fan base in the league. Routine business move.

Fowler is my boy though.

• Haha
Reactions: Shred

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's nothing like Hasek but he's not the only one who has talked about him being the best goalie in college hockey. Pierre McGuire was effusive in praise as well.

Reactions: jrom

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
young 18-year-old American goalkeeper, Jacob Fowler
He has to be one of the best goaltenders I've seen in college hockey. He's 6'2" and Montreal took him in the third round. The fact that this kid was taken in the third round, I'm telling you Montreal Canadiens fans, this kid is going to be a star in the NHL .

He's incredible, it's like he's Dominik Hasek, combined with Patrick Roy, Carey Price and Martin Brodeur. This weekend I saw a college goalie who was playing at a level I never saw before. never seen before." - Ryan Whitney

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Well Whit is right he saved their bacons.

The only line doing something for BC was the Smith line and they weren't dominating, just decent.

Can't wait for the beanpot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad