Prospect Info: 2023-24 Prospect Info (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
1717590728991.gif

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I like how even adding guys already too old or with the big team and a guy who is not in the org anymore, they still were ranked only #20. lol

but hey, given how good this org always does at the drafts, this is actually twelve spots higher than I expected so Im happy. :banana:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Really sucks that Olausson hasn't been able to put it all together. He reminds me a bit of Sampo Ranta, in that the he just oozes skill, but could never fully apply it. I still think he becomes a decent third liner at some point, but he hasn't shown much yet.

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Really sucks that Olausson hasn't been able to put it all together. He reminds me a bit of Sampo Ranta, in that the he just oozes skill, but could never fully apply it. I still think he becomes a decent third liner at some point, but he hasn't shown much yet.
Wasn't Olausson putting together a ~10+ game points streak with the Eagles when he got a season ending shoulder injury. I thought the report then was that he was starting to put it together? Tiger Vixxen, help?

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
OO was on a bit of a heater (extent gets a bit exaggerated). Here’s the stat page.

He’s not going to be a 3rd line in anyway, shape or form. No team would put up with his style long term.

People shouldn’t expect him to really pan out. He’s a Burkie type with significantly less raw talent and low IQ.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Wasn't Olausson putting together a ~10+ game points streak with the Eagles when he got a season ending shoulder injury. I thought the report then was that he was starting to put it together? Tiger Vixxen, help?
Also in the context on that team without some of the prime opportunities vets get. So he’s been fine but he’d need some advocates to really make it. He should have never left Sweden and two more years on his ELC means there won’t be much urgency.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Also in the context on that team without some of the prime opportunities vets get. So he’s been fine but he’d need some advocates to really make it. He should have never left Sweden and two more years on his ELC means there won’t be much urgency.
He was getting top 6 minutes and PP time pretty much all season. 7 of his 20 points came from the PP in 39 games. Nobody up front got really any better opportunities than OO. Opportunity wasn't really the issue with OO this season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What vets did we even have this year to push OO down the lineup? We really didn't have any AAAA ringers on the Eagles this year. Wagner was hurt for most of the year, and on the Avs for a lot of the rest. He was the closest thing to a real AHL vet forward. If OO couldn't outcompete the likes of Cal Burke, Tanner Kero, Peter Holland, and Cedric Pare for top 6 AHL minutes there's no way in hell he could hold down any kind of top 9 role in the NHL.

OO is a flat bust. You can't even argue that the Avs messed up his development on the Eagles, because he didn't pop in the OHL either in his D+1 year. He's been behind the curve ever since we drafted him, it was just a bad pick.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
OO was on a bit of a heater (extent gets a bit exaggerated). Here’s the stat page.

He’s not going to be a 3rd line in anyway, shape or form. No team would put up with his style long term.

People shouldn’t expect him to really pan out. He’s a Burkie type with significantly less raw talent and low IQ.
I actually quite liked both his games as an Av.

Reactions: LTCPain75

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
When Brad Hunt leads your team in power play goals you have problems on offense. Half ppg is pretty much an accomplishment on that team. Not sure how anyone on that team is supposed to put up mindblowing numbers, nobody even cracked 50 points. You still have vets cleaning up on the cheap points like empty net goals. The expectations for production in the AHL system need to be recalibrated, it’s not even about Oskar, it’s about everyone expected to come through the system and what’s the bar for impressive, does it even realistically exist? I’d bet he’d have a lot more hype if he was still in Sweden.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The basic standard should be if a forward cant get .7-.75+ (really close to ppg) in the AHL within the first or second season… they really don’t have top 6 potential. From there, you can have 3rd and 4th liners… but becomes more of a skill set thing. Guys like OO don’t have a bottom 6 skill set.

Production isn’t the end all be all, but you need it as a skill guy. There has not been a single season OO performed to the standard you’d expect. If he was in Sweden, he may have more hype by just playing in a lower league. But results matter more that hype. People get hyped over college and junior production too. That doesn’t mean that players will translate.

Also, it isn’t an impossibility to produce immediately. Rants is clearly a different level of player, but he was dominant right away. LOV was immediately a ~.65ppg player. Squared as a low hype, clearly low skilled guy was around .5ppg. It isn’t some impossible hurdle to produce in the AHL, but almost certainly if a player cannot do it… they won’t be a top 6NHLer.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
IMG_6875.jpeg

Bednar seemed to like him during preseason. Brutal injury which took him out almost the whole year. Probably best he does one more year before coming over to NA. Unsure when his rights expire though. I’d like to think he’s on the Avs radar as they brought him over to Loveland on an ATO to end the year.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
View attachment 883943

Bednar seemed to like him during preseason. Brutal injury which took him out almost the whole year. Probably best he does one more year before coming over to NA. Unsure when his rights expire though. I’d like to think he’s on the Avs radar as they brought him over to Loveland on an ATO to end the year.
He looks like a helluva F1 driver.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
View attachment 883943

His rights expire June 1, 2025 due to his age when drafted. Now this doesn't at all stop the Avs from singing Jedlicka (IIRC prior to July 15 or August 15 with a penalty). I'm a bit out of touch with the exact terms of the current transfer agreement, but one should exist with the Slovak league and NHL (many leagues in Europe are together in one... some are outside that like Swiss and Swedish leagues). Which basically means the Avs can sign him at any point and the contract there is null and void at that point. There would be then a transfer fee initiated, which IIRC is 240k for Euros outside of Sweden (I think it is near 400k there).

That fee BTW is required even next year if he is a free agent in the Slovak league. There is also typically a fee for even drafting a European player. IIRC it costs 35k to draft a Swedish player in the 1st round and any other round is 20k. And technically (though this gets fudged a lot), there is a rule in theirs that players don't have to go to the AHL until they are 22 unless they were drafted in the first round.

Those that recall Aman and the drama there. He wanted an AHL out clause in his contract because he was 22 and wanted NHL or back to Sweden. He wasn't protected from that anymore because of his age. Avs wouldn't give it to him, Vancouver said you'll be on the NHL team to start (was given an informal NHL games guarantee and 10 game bonus) and it is your job to stay up.

While I'm on this soapbox... the Olofsson trade was made when it was because of this transfer agreement. He was signed to a SHL deal. Which made him applicable to that agreement. He could opt out though prior to June 15 with no penalty. So when then Avs traded for him, he immediately opted out. Which meant the Avs didn't have to pay a transfer fee that they otherwise would have had to pay if they waited until July 1.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
His rights expire June 1, 2025 due to his age when drafted. Now this doesn't at all stop the Avs from singing Jedlicka (IIRC prior to July 15 or August 15 with a penalty). I'm a bit out of touch with the exact terms of the current transfer agreement, but one should exist with the Slovak league and NHL (many leagues in Europe are together in one... some are outside that like Swiss and Swedish leagues). Which basically means the Avs can sign him at any point and the contract there is null and void at that point. There would be then a transfer fee initiated, which IIRC is 240k for Euros outside of Sweden (I think it is near 400k there).

That fee BTW is required even next year if he is a free agent in the Slovak league. There is also typically a fee for even drafting a European player. IIRC it costs 35k to draft a Swedish player in the 1st round and any other round is 20k. And technically (though this gets fudged a lot), there is a rule in theirs that players don't have to go to the AHL until they are 22 unless they were drafted in the first round.

Those that recall Aman and the drama there. He wanted an AHL out clause in his contract because he was 22 and wanted NHL or back to Sweden. He wasn't protected from that anymore because of his age. Avs wouldn't give it to him, Vancouver said you'll be on the NHL team to start (was given an informal NHL games guarantee and 10 game bonus) and it is your job to stay up.

While I'm on this soapbox... the Olofsson trade was made when it was because of this transfer agreement. He was signed to a SHL deal. Which made him applicable to that agreement. He could opt out though prior to June 15 with no penalty. So when then Avs traded for him, he immediately opted out. Which meant the Avs didn't have to pay a transfer fee that they otherwise would have had to pay if they waited until July 1.
It's a wonder the owners didn't insist on transfer fees being paid out of the player portion of HRR.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It's a wonder the owners didn't insist on transfer fees being paid out of the player portion of HRR.
Don't give them any ideas!

I do kinda find some things interesting about this stuff and how it relates to hockey ops. IE it costs 35k to draft a Swedish league player in the first round, 20k in any other round... but a Russian costs nothing. A CHL/USHL player also costs nothing. But if a CHL player is eligible to be returned and isn't, that costs the NHL team 60k for a skater or 75k for a goalie.

This influences some weird things... IE take Arizona. Last year they had 12 picks with 2 in the first round. They had to pay for the rights to draft 3 players. 20k for two Swedes and (I think) 18k for a Finn. The two Russians they drafted in the first didn't cost them a penny. If they had drafted Dvorsky or Willinader instead, they would have had to pay another 70k. In 2022, they had 10 picks... and again only had to pay for 3. 2021, 9 picks only had to pay for 3. To my knowledge, they have not paid for more than 3 picks since Russia was included in the transfer agreement. Is it fair to say they have a draft budget for that? Will that change in Utah?

Then on the other hand, you have St Louis... who seemingly has an unlimited budget for transfer agreement players. 3 Swedes in the first last year and 2 Euros elsewhere in the draft.

Also when you get late in the draft, that's when you start seeing a ton of Russian and Belarusian players come off the board... Why? They cost nothing. CHL, USHL and Russians cost nothing to draft in that range. You can take shots drafting those players and if they develop, fantastic. If not, you didn't blow 20k... or worse when signing them, upto 400k.

An interesting Avs side note... they have not elected to draft more than 1 player that they have to pay for in a single draft since 2018. They have not had more than 2 since 2002. Alongside that, if the Avs pay more for a Euro first rounder with a transfer agreement, they almost always bring them over in the +1. The last where they didn't was Nedorost. It certainly could be coincidence, but I find this stuff fascinating. I must have aspergers. :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So the reason why the Avs never draft Swedes in the second or third round despite it being a cohort with a high success rate is because they are cheap. I thought it was more about lack of control but it’s just good ol cheapness.
Idk. Could be, could play a role (there are other quirks too and maybe that compounds), could be more coincidence. For whatever reason is (if there is one), they don’t draft a lot of Euros that they have to pay for or eventually pay transfer fees for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad