GDT: 2023-24 Other Games Around The League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I never would guess that a defense of Montour, Forsling, Ekblad, Mikkola, EkmanLarsson would ever be able to shut down the Rangers but here we are.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Pavelski article:

-Talks about how he's housing Wyatt Johnston and Logan Stankoven before Johnston.
-Also talks about how when he came into the league, having guys like Blake, Jumbo, and Patty on the team allowed him to build a "foundation" quickly and have a "stepping stone" to learn and progress quickly.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
At this stage of the playoffs I like to think about narratives and how they relate to the sharks. I always like to cheer for teams that help the shark's narrative as best as possible (or make them look as less bad as possible)

To give an example of this pretzel logic, after Tampa won the first time, I was cheering for them to win the second and third time because even if the Sharks were good they wouldn't have been able to defeat a dynasty team.

Unfortunately last year was awful for the narrative.

But this year is tough. Here's how I see it:

Rangers - their rebuild is so impossible to mimic or learn from, thanks to certain star players only wanting to play in New York City, so it's inconceivable that even a good sharks team could compete with a team that has an unfair advantage.

Dallas - if Dallas wins we are never going to hear the end of how pavelski was better as a star and only won the stars and how the Sharks suck, so we don't want them to win.

Florida - this is an sun-state expansion team that's younger than we are, has been to the Cup Final more times, and might win it before we do. No thanks

Edmonton - two of the best players of this generation finally get it done. The model is copy-able in a way, and these powerhouse teams were in division. Even a sharks team that makes the playoffs was not beating them.

So to me, it's EDM or NYR in terms of who makes us look the least bad. Considering all my Friends are rangers fans and my boss is an oilers guy, I'm going Oil.
My take on preference:

NYR - An O6 team that seems to have all the luck go their way. I hope they never win a damn thing ever again.

Dallas - They already won a Cup so I'm good with them winning. Besides, seeing Pavelski lift the Cup would be okay. No hard feelings towards them, at least not anymore.

Florida - A favorite team of one of my best friends. Last year he told me that I would've been "in secrecy bitter had Florida won before San Jose", I corrected him that not in secrecy. :laugh: So there's that. But I would be happy for my friend, of course.

Edmonton - After a dozen first overalls? No. Same as NYR but not an O6 team. McDavid probably wins a Cup at least once in his career, but I hope it's not in Edmonton.

So.. DAL >> FLA, others I don't even want to win.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I never would guess that a defense of Montour, Forsling, Ekblad, Mikkola, EkmanLarsson would ever be able to shut down the Rangers but here we are.
The Panthers's strength is down the middle and in goal. It's not often that combination works, but it's possible (Carolina was the last, though arguably St.Louis...).

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You leave McDavid alone for one second!

Controversial take; Oettinger was solid, but Skinner outplayed him and that just can't happen

Reactions: DG93

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Oilers had that game in their hands, they just needed to win it before Dallas got a break (which is what happened in the 3rd).

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
By the rules, that has to be a 5...

Something is wrong with Adam Fox. Look at his skating! Like he's suffering from intense skate bite.
Do you remember the knee-on-knee he took from Nick Jensen in the first round? I wouldn't be surprised at this point if he has to have surgery after the playoffs but is gutting it out.

I'm also a secondary Rangers fan, so I say five as well for that hit, but more than anything at this point I'm starting to get really worried that we're going to have a Florida-Edmonton final.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m so sick of hearing Matt Rempe’s name, man. The Rangers will have 11 forwards in a playoff OT game because Vesey was taken out with a hard open-ice hit, but enforcers definitely prevent injuries! Now you basically have ten forwards because you aren’t going to play Matt Rempe in playoff OT.

Mark Messier is just the worst.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and DG93

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Of course, it has to be Goodrow. Seems like he was involved in every play (jumped up in the lineup, to take faceoffs at least).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad