2023-24 Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy finalists: Frederik Andersen, Connor Ingram, Oliver Kylington | Winner: Connor Ingram

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
It's great and all that these guys have fought through things to come back to the game and they deserve a ton of credit for it, but this trophy is honestly stupid. It's all like "my injury is bigger than yours!"

The fact that the PHWA is voting on it makes it even dumber.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's great and all that these guys have fought through things to come back to the game and they deserve a ton of credit for it, but this trophy is honestly stupid. It's all like "my injury is bigger than yours!"

Doesn’t have to be an injury, can be a health issue.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I know it can. Doesn't make it any more reasonable for people to vote on.
What lol, just cause you don’t like the trophy, doesn’t make it stupid.
Not to mention, I was just stating the trophy is more than just injuries.

Reactions: DaveG

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I agree somewhat but I don’t think these guys are competing for this trophy, or really want to win it. You don’t necessarily want to be a Masterton nominee that means you were dealing with something awful. Generally speaking.

Reactions: sanscosm

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo

What have they fought back from? Have any had career ending injuries or suffered nervous breakdowns? Seriously. Do not know the back stories accept for one who had back to back injury years, but there was no.talk of them being career ending.

If it is purely based upon coming back from an injury? Stone has it sewed up next year

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
What lol, just cause you don’t like the trophy, doesn’t make it stupid.
Not to mention, I was just stating the trophy is more than just injuries.

It's stupid because journalists are making it a competition on who overcame the most. Makes no sense in having a trophy like that. It's dumb.

I agree somewhat but I don’t think these guys are competing for this trophy, or really want to win it. You don’t necessarily want to be a Masterton nominee that means you were dealing with something awful. Generally speaking.

I agree with that. Another reason why this trophy is stupid. No one wants it.

What have they fought back from? Have any had career ending injuries or suffered nervous breakdowns? Seriously. Do not know the back stories accept for one who had back to back injury years, but there was no.talk of them being career ending.

If it is purely based upon coming back from an injury? Stone has it sewed up next year

Well, they wouldn't be nominated for the trophy from the beginning if the injuries were career ending. It's about fighting back and overcoming health issues. But those things should not be a competition that journalists gets to decide who's got the sadder story and give them a trophy for it.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Recognizing people for overcoming challenges is stupid?

This may sound crazy, but you can recognize people for overcoming challenges without making it a sad story popularity contest where their challenges are stacked against each others. It’s a stupid category for a competitive trophy, you can recognize people in other ways.

Nothing worse than being the Masterton runner up, you can’t even have tragedies happen to you good enough to win you chump, just absolutely choked your whole personal tragedy instead of doubling down and milking it.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
This may sound crazy, but you can recognize people for overcoming challenges without making it a sad story popularity contest where their challenges are stacked against each others. It’s a stupid category for a competitive trophy, you can recognize people in other ways.

Nothing worse than being the Masterton runner up, you can’t even have tragedies happen to you good enough to win you chump, just absolutely choked your whole personal tragedy instead of doubling down and milking it.
In that way, is the problem with the Masterton award or is it announcing finalists?

Just announce the award on the night of the show. We really don't need talking heads to debate who is most "deserving" of this award.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
This award shouldn't be "who deserved it more". All players are worthy but Ingram played the whole year as opposed to the other players so I'll give it to him.

They should just announce a winner at the awards show rather than release the "finalists". This isn't a competitive award.

aryanoboi

Apr 17, 2020
Im split between Andersen and Kylington. Both of them had remarkable comebacks into the NHL. I thought kylington’s career was done after he left the team again during training camp, but here we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated: