Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
f*** it. I'd claim him. Contract is big and we're not getting any sweeteners to take him, but man he'd be a good fit for the rookies. Him and Kunin will keep teams honest around our future stars.
He’s very similar to Kunin in that he stands up for the guys but loses most of the fights he’s in 😂

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Better him losing a fight than Smith or Celebrini.
Is he going to be willing to put it on the line just to mentor the young guys after all the playoff hockey and success at that time of year that he's had is the bigger question to me. Easy to stick up for guys when you're truly competing for the big prize.

Takes a different level to do that as an established NHLer with the postseason success that Goodrow has had when the games don't really mean jack crap (compared to the games he's played in the last 5 years since leaving SJ).

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Is he going to be willing to put it on the line just to mentor the young guys after all the playoff hockey and success at that time of year that he's had is the bigger question to me. Easy to stick up for guys when you're truly competing for the big prize.

Takes a different level to do that as an established NHLer with the postseason success that Goodrow has had when the games don't really mean jack crap (compared to the games he's played in the last 5 years since leaving SJ).
If that's the case than he wouldn't come to us via trade anyways since we'd probably be on his 15 team NT list.

Also, Barclay doesn't strike me as someone who wouldn't do whatever is asked of him regardless, and at 3.6 for 3 more years, it's probably a lot cheaper and shorter than it would take for someone as solid as him to come in via free agency. What are we gonna do, sign Teraveinen to a 5 years 6 million dollar deal instead?

No reason to claim Goodrow at all. Would be happy to take him for a late first and say goodbye to kunin though
There are plenty of reasons to claim him. He'd probably be the best player we'd be able to draw in free agency and with only 3 years left on his deal, even if slightly pricey, he'd probably be the shortest contract for a legit NHLer we'd be able to bring in without overpaying by 3-4 mil per season.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
If that's the case than he wouldn't come to us via trade anyways since we'd probably be on his 15 team NT list.

Also, Barclay doesn't strike me as someone who wouldn't do whatever is asked of him regardless, and at 3.6 for 3 more years, it's probably a lot cheaper and shorter than it would take for someone as solid as him to come in via free agency. What are we gonna do, sign Teraveinen to a 5 years 6 million dollar deal instead?

There are plenty of reasons to claim him. He'd probably be the best player we'd be able to draw in free agency and with only 3 years left on his deal, even if slightly pricey, he'd probably be the shortest contract for a legit NHLer we'd be able to bring in without overpaying by 3-4 mil per season.
I have seen exactly 0 goodrow games since he left. Is he better than the fodder the Sharks already have for the bottom 6 or are we just wanting him back for nostalgia purposes.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Teravainen and Goodrow are such vastly different players in both caliber and style that I don't think it's fair to put them in the same sentence. If you want to talk the Goodrow comparison in UFA, it would be the Jordan Martinook, Dakota Joshua, Cal Clutterbuck, etc. types rather than a skilled winger like Teuvo.

I think Clutterbuck would be cheaper while Martinook and Joshua bring more to the table than Goodrow (at about the same cost).

• Wow

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I have seen exactly 0 goodrow games since he left. Is he better than the fodder the Sharks already have for the bottom 6 or are we just wanting him back for nostalgia purposes.
Not really, he's a replacement-level physical forward with zero offensive value. Kunin might legitimately be better than he is.

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He's a good teammate similar to Luke. Older, with more experience though and I think that matters. I also don't think for fan sake it would be a bad idea to bring him back. There's already a lot of positive buzz around the team and i don't think this hurts in the least.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Teravainen and Goodrow are such vastly different players in both caliber and style that I don't think it's fair to put them in the same sentence. If you want to talk the Goodrow comparison in UFA, it would be the Jordan Martinook, Dakota Joshua, Cal Clutterbuck, etc. types rather than a skilled winger like Teuvo.

I think Clutterbuck would be cheaper while Martinook and Joshua bring more to the table than Goodrow (at about the same cost).
I meant in terms of how we spend money to get to the cap floor. It'll end up being for absolutely bottom tier guys like Zadina or overpaying in terms of money and term for guys that don't necessarily deserve it.

Cal will be 37 when the season begins and offers absolutely nothing other than a spot start when needed. Dakota and Martinhook will most certainly be looking either to go to a contender or cash in on their leap. They'll both want term. Don't see the point when we can just grab Goodrow for 3 years.

I think it's REALLY important to factor in the type of FA this team will be able to draw and considering Grier HAS to spend about 15 mil just to reach the floor, I'd rather it be for someone like Goodrow than someone we don't want who we'll absolutely have to overpay for.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
  • Wow

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Doesn't say in the article. It's likely the Sharks were on Goodrow's 15 team NTC so this is a clever way to circumvent that.
While true, and I was vouching for them to do it, that means a deal was discussed beforehand meaning something, I assume was coming along with Barclay (if true). Unless it was just Goodrow for FC.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
What kind of contract would Goodrow get if he were set to become a UFA this summer coming off that playoff performance?

I would guess something in the Hathaway/Kuraly/Kampf range - 2-4 years at 2-3 million per. In which case Goodrow is realistically overpaid by $1-1.5 million per year. That's not worth much to dump. Add in our need to reach the cap floor and genuine desire to add the player and I wouldn't be surprised if there's nothing coming to us for taking Goodrow.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Celebrini-Couture-Smith
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin

Cobble together a 4th line with UFAs and Cuda players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad