Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Responding to Dom's article. Brown goes down to Providence without question. Lohrei needs serious work, both in his own zone and developing a slapper. Mitchell is soft and slow, he goes down. It boils down to Lauko or Steen, unless someone gets injured. I prefer Lauko as I think he is more skilled. However, Steen has played well and is healthier. Tough call, but I think Steen will get the bulk of his 46 games later.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Fight?

That seems like it’s entirely out of the question right now.

I‘d settle for him throwing a hit where the other guy seems mildly inconvenienced.

He‘s a mediocre player overall, who for some reason has decided that he’s not going to be physical.

Dime a dozen guy.

I don’t hate him, but you’ve got to give to get.

If he and Forbort or Grzelcyk can bring back a legit tough guy who can play, it serves two purposes.

1. Adds toughness
2. Thins the herd (roster logjam)
You re absolutely right about the 11, what s doing? No more physical, dont hit nothing no more a prick...sissy club instead of fight club? WTF

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Frederic is playing great hockey and is a big reason that line is being very effective. I quite honestly don’t get how people can watch him and not see that, except those who seem quite bloodthirsty lately.

The problem I have is that I don’t understand why he can’t play at the level he is, while playing as tough as he’s capable of.

It‘s not like I’m asking for JVR to start throwing hands every other game, because that’s not who he is.

Frederic, on the other hand, is capable and has been willing to do that in the past.

And, it’s not all about fighting…he hasn't thrown a noticeable hit in weeks.

I‘m truly enjoying this team, but I’m also hearing a little voice constantly in my mind reminding me of what happened last year.

I just dont think they are tough enough to withstand the playoff battles. Maybe it’s too early to be worrying about roster configuration for the playoffs just yet, but I also wouldn’t mind if they did make a move to break up the logjam a bit and to add what they’re missing.

I truly don‘t care who they move out among about 8-9 guys, I just think its imperative that they address the issue, otherwise I don‘t forsee a long playoff run.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Frederic is playing great hockey and is a big reason that line is being very effective. I quite honestly don’t get how people can watch him and not see that, except those who seem quite bloodthirsty lately.

The same way no one gets your daily tirade about hating forbort.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
First…..they’d only be trading one of them and the goal is to get someone back who is much more physical, and might actually intimidate, throw a big hit or fight.

Frederic has now entered the realm of “physical in theory only”.

No idea what’s happened to him but he went from being a guy who challenged the Rangers bench, to a guy doesn’t even seem interested in fighting to stick up for a teammate.

Lauko, eh…I like him, and I guess for this team he passes for physical, but I wouldn’t miss him.
Frederic literally beat a guy bloody 3 weeks ago. What team are you watching?

Also Frederic is like...actually good at hockey, which is kind of the whole point. What big scary player are you trading him for that isn't a dogshit hockey player?

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
The problem I have is that I don’t understand why he can’t play at the level he is, while playing as tough as he’s capable of.

It‘s not like I’m asking for JVR to start throwing hands every other game, because that’s not who he is.

Frederic, on the other hand, is capable and has been willing to do that in the past.

I‘m truly enjoying this team, but I’m also hearing a little voice constantly in my mind reminding me of what happened last year.

I just dont think they are tough enough to withstand the playoff battles. Maybe it’s too early to be worrying about roster configuration for the playoffs just yet, but I also wouldn’t mind if they did make a move to break up the logjam a bit and to add what they’re missing.

I truly don‘t care who they move out among about 8-9 guys, I just think its imperative that they address the issue, otherwise I don‘t forsee a long playoff run.

When it comes to having a tough enough roster to withstand the playoff battles the way I see it is we certainly do for the majority of the playoff type teams in the East. We are certainly more then tough enough to handle TO, NYR, NJ and Carolina. The only teams that I think physically will give us a hard time is Florida and TB. Out west it's a bit different, there are several heavy teams like Vegas, LA, Dallas, etc.

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Frederic literally beat a guy bloody 3 weeks ago. What team are you watching?

Also Frederic is like...actually good at hockey, which is kind of the whole point. What big scary player are you trading him for that isn't a dogshit hockey player?

1 fight in 13 games or so.

Far too many times a Bruin has been roughed up and he hasn’t answered.

On a team with way too few players capable of doing that, he can’t be one who chooses not to.

Again, I don’t hate him….but he’s expendable to me if they can bring in someone tougher.

IMO the vast majority of bottom 6 guys in this league are interchangeable. Some are better offensively, some better defensively, some tough, some aren’t.

Finding the right mix is what matters. If you told me they could keep Frederic and Lauko and still find a third liner or third pair defenseman who could play and provide jam, I’d be as happy as could be.

I just think they’re the best two pieces given their age and contract situations.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Remember when Hathaway played for the Bruins? He's the same asshole now as he was in Washington.

When he played here he was barely noticeable, never mind fighting. Why is that?

If you folks don't think the system doesn't dictate players aggressiveness then I suggest someone write monty and Butch to get your answer.

Claude Julien isn't walking thru this door.

How wrong am I ?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Remember when Hathaway played for the Bruins? He's the same asshole now as he was in Washington.

If you folks don't think the system doesn't dictate players aggressiveness then I suggest someone write monty and Butch to get your answer.

How wrong am I ?

It’s the leadership. When he’s got guys like Tom Wilson and ovi laying hits and mucking it up he follows suit.

When he’s got soft style players like the bruins had in their top 6 he follow suit there as well.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Are you and marchyknows the same person on two different accounts? It’s really creepy how you both consistently show up at the same time and have the exact same opinion on everything
definitely not as weird as you randomly tagging him to talk shit about a completely unrelated topic. talk about obsessed

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

Like it or not its the game today

It’s the leadership. When he’s got guys like Tom Wilson and ovi laying hits and mucking it up he follows suit.

When he’s got soft style players like the bruins had in their top 6 he follow suit there as well.

I think Brad is pretty nasty to play against, why are they not following his lead if this was how it works?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
definitely not as weird as you randomly tagging him to talk shit about a completely unrelated topic. talk about obsessed

You have been legitimately obsessed with me since I said trade bergy and krejci a while back and you brought it up again recently. You comment on ALL of my stuff and I never say a word to you.

What’s your beef? Are you mad that the Bruins are just as good without bergy/krejci than they were with them or something and I was proven right so now you’re just being pissy about it?

Not my fault this team would have been better off trading them and having the extra assets/cap.

Like it or not its the game today

I think Brad is pretty nasty to play against, why are they not following his lead if this was how it works?

Brad isn’t nasty to play against. He does some things after the whistle but he’s not out there hitting and fighting

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
People so anxious to bench or get rid of Frederic for not being good yet will welcome Gryzlyck back to the line up who is a paperweight

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
1 fight in 13 games or so.

Far too many times a Bruin has been roughed up and he hasn’t answered.

On a team with way too few players capable of doing that, he can’t be one who chooses not to.

Again, I don’t hate him….but he’s expendable to me if they can bring in someone tougher.

IMO the vast majority of bottom 6 guys in this league are interchangeable. Some are better offensively, some better defensively, some tough, some aren’t.

Finding the right mix is what matters. If you told me they could keep Frederic and Lauko and still find a third liner or third pair defenseman who could play and provide jam, I’d be as happy as could be.

I just think they’re the best two pieces given their age and contract situations.
Reality is the list of guys in the league nowadays that fight more then Freddy does and are actually useful players outside of that is very small. He was top 10 in the league in fights last season.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Reality is the list of guys in the league nowadays that fight more than Freddy does and are actually useful players outside of that is very small. He was top 10 in the league in fights last season.

Sad, but probably true.

Again, I’m not hell bent on getting rid of Frederic.

In fact as some have pointed out he seemed to play with more of an edge with Looch in the lineup…so maybe he’d be even tougher with another bruiser on the team.

I am, however, of the opinion that they need a couple of guys who play tougher than he has this season and I don’t see them trading…

Marchand, Pasta, Coyle, Zach, JVR, Poitras, Lucic

I think they would consider moving JDB, due to contract issues…but it’s still pretty unlikely.

That leaves:

Frederic, Lauko, Steen, Heinen among regulars/semi-regulars.

Personally, I‘d move Heinen first from that crowd, but we all know that isn’t happening so, we’re left with Freddy, Lauko or Steen.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023

How wrong am I ?
Am I the only one who wishes Claude was walking through the door? It has been a very different team since he was foolishly let go.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
This analytics thing is fun

IMG_2559.jpeg

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020

You re right they did not adresse this issue, and the D is a big part of this issue, for most they re soft and easy to play against simple as that, it s not hurting going to the corner or back to the net and even easier going in front of the goalie...Montgomery said that the goalies are the only reason this team is there at the top, goalies saved their ass night after night...they re not playing good defensively in general yess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad