NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 2 & the Field of Eight

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like Jon Cooper a lot.

If Tampa doesn’t run it back, someone will scoop him up in a heartbeat.
Cooper going nowhere, he simply is looking at a team whose window as a top contender has closed after an amazing run. I like him too, far more than Maurice who , like Rod in Carolina, I just wanna punch every time I see it, too bad, loved RBA as a player

Reactions: smithformeragent

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Bruins abused it in the exact same method. Stone was legitimately injured with the spleen this year. It was very convenient for Vegas, but trying to moralize how the Bruin method was okay and not Vegas when it's the same exact method. Laughable
I was proud of Donny doing it

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I used to like Cale Makar. Now the ball-washing and Orr comparisons are way over the top.

Yeah but that's not his fault is it? Makar seems like a nice guy as far as I can tell, and there's no question he's a phenomenal player. Whether or not the Orr comparisons and the like are valid is a matter of opinion, but I don't think they should detract from what a talent he is irrespective of how you describe it. And he's fun to watch.

Would you really cease to like a player for reasons that are entirely beyond his control?

Reactions: MustardStew

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah but that's not his fault is it? Makar seems like a nice guy as far as I can tell, and there's no question he's a phenomenal player. Whether or not the Orr comparisons and the like are valid is a matter of opinion, but I don't think they should detract from what a talent he is irrespective of how you describe it. And he's fun to watch.

Would you really cease to like a player for reasons that are entirely beyond his control?

I think it's turned me from him to be honest. I mean, it's not his fault. It's kinda the same way I felt about Carey Price (despite the team he played for) The hype was just too over the top.

That goal from the other day where he went "coast-to-coast" wasn't anything special to me, a D carried a puck up ice and gained the zone and fired from the high slot with 3 defenders still to navigate. Not a great goal allowed by Hellebuyck. I thought it was routine but the Twitterverse felt it was something special.

Reactions: MustardStew

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think it's turned me from him to be honest. I mean, it's not his fault. It's kinda the same way I felt about Carey Price (despite the team he played for) The hype was just too over the top.

That goal from the other day where he went "coast-to-coast" wasn't anything special to me, a D carried a puck up ice and gained the zone and fired from the high slot with 3 defenders still to navigate. Not a great goal allowed by Hellebuyck. I thought it was routine but the Twitterverse felt it was something special.

Twitter in this case was simply following ESPN's lead - their panel fawned all over it. I thought it was a very good goal, largely because it showed supreme confidence. It probably wasn't super amazing though.

And to each their own. Just personally it seems strange to me to let the perceptions and noise of others influence one's own opinion. It was the same with Bedard at the start of this year - people were hating on him before he'd even set foot on the ice because the hype around him was way over the top. Sure some of the adulation was annoying, but that's not his fault. Just let the kid be and evaluate him on his own terms.

Reactions: BruinDust

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Funereal scenes in Winnipeg. Yes their playoff performance has been poor, with two things that held them in such good stead in the regular season - defense and Hellebuyck - going completely missing. Sucks to lose so early in the postseason, and so decisively. But they should console themselves that they lost to a clearly better team and one that has serious Cup credentials. Colorado had their flat hangover year last season, now they look right back on top of their game. Beating them was always going to be an extremely tough ask for the Jets. They shouldn't overreact to this.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It's bad enough that Dallas and Vegas are clearly better then Boston but what really disappoints is the clear lack of an all out desperate effort that you saw in these teams tonight.

True…

But they both lost 2 home games and each had at least a game where they played poorly overall.

16-28 games….there’s bound to be ups and downs.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Wow, the crowd in Dallas was electric. Ryan Callahan explained the "Otter" masks, but how about the guy outside the Vegas penalty box with a dog mask?

The Stars' whole game day presentation is top notch. From the opening and player introductions, to the music, including the best goal song in the NHL, to the dance team - which PK Subban clearly is a fan of. ;)

The analytics guys want us to dismiss the eyeball test; but some of the other series look to be on another level compared to Boston/Toronto. Perhaps both the Bs and Leafs are playing scared, since whoever loses will be labeled chokers.

Ultimately lack of discipline cost Vegas. Pietrangelo took an unnecessary roughing penalty - perhaps retaliatory - and Jason Robertson netted the GWG on the PP.

Even the Panthers steered clear of a lot of their post-whistle shenanigans. Scarily, they look even tougher to beat without them.

I posted my first round predictions several pages back, and may actually go 8-for-8. But let's hope not - I picked Toronto in 7!

• Wow
Reactions: KWbruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad