NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Stanley Cup Playoffs - Toronto Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Rod Brind'Amour will be the next coach of the Leafs

I think there's a fair chance of that. Carolina are getting goalied, pure and simple. They're outplaying the Rangers 5v5, but between their disadvantage in net and NY's lethal PP, which they actually kept quiet in this one, they're one game away from potentially being swept. So really can't find too much to fault with Rod's coaching.

But if the Canes still want a fresh face behind the bench even so, it would make a lot of sense for Brind'Amour to land in Toronto. Who of course have their own goalie issues, but if they can sort those out, deal Marner and use his cap hit to balance out their roster a bit better, a Leafs team with him in charge could be quite a dangerous proposition.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think there's a fair chance of that. Carolina are getting goalied, pure and simple. They're outplaying the Rangers 5v5, but between their disadvantage in net and NY's lethal PP, which they actually kept quiet in this one, they're one game away from potentially being swept. So really can't find too much to fault with Rod's coaching.

But if the Canes still want a fresh face behind the bench even so, it would make a lot of sense for Brind'Amour to land in Toronto. Who of course have their own goalie issues, but if they can sort those out, deal Marner and use his cap hit to balance out their roster a bit better, a Leafs team with him in charge could be quite a dangerous proposition.

@Aussie Bruin

The Canes should not be down 0-3 to NYR and it is very similar to last year when Florida wound up sweeping them in the ECF.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin

The Canes should not be down 0-3 to NYR and it is very similar to last year when Florida wound up sweeping them in the ECF.

They shouldn't, but apart from taking too many dumb penalties they really have done very little wrong. They've lost twice in OT and the other time by a single goal. But here we are. Playoffs are a brutal business.

Reactions: BMC

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
That new league sounds dreadful. Two 12 minute periods of 3 on 3? Another team in AZ? Team in NE? OK? How are they going to fill arenas? How is this going to affect the AHL and the CHL?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Down 3-0 but two OT losses. Much closer series than it seems.
True but when you're x many years into "can't get over that hump" it builds. At some point you just have to win or something changes. Goaltending is probably the difference. And really I don't think Carolina has ever had great goaltending during this run of good teams. Not terrible but could be better. Could be upgraded. Hello Linus?

Reactions: EverettMike

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Is this something specific to Canada? If you are fired then how are you still under contract? It sounds like he wasn't actually fired then and just removed as HC of the team. Bill Belichick was still under contract when the Patriots fired him. I don't recall seeing reports that the Falcons needed permission to interview him. Doesn't make any sense.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Is this something specific to Canada? If you are fired then how are you still under contract? It sounds like he wasn't actually fired then and just removed as HC of the team. Bill Belichick was still under contract when the Patriots fired him. I don't recall seeing reports that the Falcons needed permission to interview him. Doesn't make any sense.

Nothing to do with Canada. If your contract states that you are guaranteed a paycheck from X date to Y, then you are still under contract regardless if you are doing the actual job. It's pretty much standard for sports coaches.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Nothing to do with Canada. If your contract states that you are guaranteed a paycheck from X date to Y, then you are still under contract regardless if you are doing the actual job. It's pretty much standard for sports coaches.
It is NEVER phrased as still being under contract when a guy gets fired. Never. Sure, everyone understands when a coach gets fired that he is still due the rest of the money owed to him. If he gets hired by another team then there is offset language. I just have never seen it reported this way that a team needed permission to speak with a fired coach. Like I said we just saw this with Belichick. Nobody was reporting that teams needed permission to interview him. It's basically like saying the Leafs could tell the Bruins or Habs to go pound sand if they wanted Keefe. "Hell with you guys, we will not give you permission and we will just pay him what he is due". It doesn't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad