NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Stanley Cup Playoffs II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, I’m personally stumped as to why every Bruins fan isn’t cheering for Florida, a divisional rival that’s ended their season the last two years. Makes no sense to me.

If I was living in the US I would likely cheer for Edmonton, the Oilers are now getting the Leaf love by the Canadian media and its nauseating to put it kindly.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
If I was living in the US I would likely cheer for Edmonton, the Oilers are now getting the Leaf love by the Canadian media and its nauseating to put it kindly.
Ron Maclean’s man crush on McDavid has been disturbing for years now but it’s really hit new levels these playoffs… the guy finds a way to shoehorn McDavid into every conversation about anything. Even when the Oilers weren’t playing in earlier rounds.

I usually only listen to a local Calgary hockey podcast and then 32 Thoughts, and the praise has been a lot more muted on those shows for the Oilers so perhaps I haven’t noticed it being as bad for me. Oilers media is most of the time the most sycophantic in professional sports so it’s not a surprise they’re shaking the pom poms extra hard.

Reactions: Zillah

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Ron Maclean’s man crush on McDavid has been disturbing for years now but it’s really hit new levels these playoffs… the guy finds a way to shoehorn McDavid into every conversation about anything. Even when the Oilers weren’t playing in earlier rounds.

I usually only listen to a local Calgary hockey podcast and then 32 Thoughts, and the praise has been a lot more muted on those shows for the Oilers so perhaps I haven’t noticed it being as bad for me. Oilers media is most of the time the most sycophantic in professional sports so it’s not a surprise they’re shaking the pom poms extra hard.
..and this is why I cannot root for the Oilers

Reactions: GoBs and SPLBRUIN

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I wonder if that G4 win by Edmonton was in part due to a change in their breakout. I get that FLA took the game off and that had more to do with it than anything, but Edmonton did make
a lot less short, low passes in the Dzone and instead flipped to more of a Vegas quick out with forwards out beyond the blue line. Nobody else Florida has faced has tried that. It will be interesting to see if it has any impact on game 5, when FLA really brings it.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I wonder if that G4 win by Edmonton was in part due to a change in their breakout. I get that FLA took the game off and that had more to do with it than anything, but Edmonton did make
a lot less short, low passes in the Dzone and instead flipped to more of a Vegas quick out with forwards out beyond the blue line. Nobody else Florida has faced has tried that. It will be interesting to see if it has any impact on game 5, when FLA really brings it.
I'm not watching it Bill, so I wouldn't know. But that's another interesting observation that no one else is making.

I wonder why no other team has attempted this and why it took the Oilers being down 3-0 to change the breakout strategy?

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I'm not watching it Bill, so I wouldn't know. But that's another interesting observation that no one else is making.

I wonder why no other team has attempted this and why it took the Oilers being down 3-0 to change the breakout strategy?
I don't know. Maybe they thought they needed to execute their own system better, rather than make a wholesale change in philosophy.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They're filthy rats, yes. But they kind of remind me of us vs the Nucks.
They actually remind me more of that Canucks team, that Bruins team would beat the ever loving piss out of this Panthers team in terms of toughness. Andrew Ference would probably be their best fighter.

That Canucks team was really talented, we probably shouldn’t have beaten them but we had the hottest goalie on the planet

Reactions: Aeroforce

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
They actually remind me more of that Canucks team, that Bruins team would beat the ever loving piss out of this Panthers team in terms of toughness. Andrew Ference would probably be their best fighter.

That Canucks team was really talented, we probably shouldn’t have beaten them but we had the hottest goalie on the planet
I think we can all agree that our team was dirty that year. The Nucks were too. But we did stuff that today we couldn't attempt. The Panthers get away with a lot, but also use that to their advantage and don't apologize for playing that way.

I miss asshole hockey.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think we can all agree that our team was dirty that year. The Nucks were too. But we did stuff that today we couldn't attempt. The Panthers get away with a lot, but also use that to their advantage and don't apologize for playing that way.

I miss asshole hockey.
Difference is the bruins had guys that would answer the bell, the panthers much like that Canucks team do not. And the guys that do fight (Bennett) spot pick

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
If the series ends tomorrow, who gets the Conn Smythe?
Prior to Game Four, there was speculation it was Bobrovsky. The goals against were not solely on him, and Maurice pulled him, meaning his stats didn't take more of a hit.

But I think Barkov has been their best player in all four series, hence the scoring woes of Kucherov, Pastrnak, Panarin, and he almost added McDavid to the list.

Tkachuk has had a relatively quiet Final, but his point totals are good.

If it ends in five, I don't see it happening; but McDavid did break Gretzky's assist record. If he stretches the series to six games, it could happen. I recall JS Giguere won the Conn Smythe in 2003 on the losing team; not sure if it's happened since.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I work with a guy from south Florida who is a big Panthers fan. I said to him after game 3 ... i wonder if the Oilers finally figured Florida out based on the third period of game 3. I said it will be interesting in game 4 ... will the Oilers finally figured Florida out and start scoring goals lighting Florida up? I also told him Florida needed to be careful because subconsciously, not purposely, they might sit back play carelessly thinking they could win it at home in front of their fans in Florida.
Game 5 will tell us which one of those two theories was correct.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)

?? McDavid is the best hockey player on the planet. What’s wrong with the hockey media promoting him? Because I suppose that the NFL, NBA and MLB don’t go out of their way to promote their stars or anything. In fact the NHL should be doing a far better job of it.

They also split-up Nurse and Ceci. Hmmm.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I wish he was a Bruin, sorry if he hurt your feelings
I get what you are saying about nasty hockey and don't necessarily disagree. But people have a legitimate reason to really dislike Bennett -- just as half the League hated Marchand, Lucic, Horton, etc, etc, etc.

Plus, when you say things like "sorry if he hurt your feelings", you sound a bit like a schoolboy with a crush. I'd ease off on the aggression -- because you can wish all you want but Sam Bennett isn't going to play in Boston anytime soon.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I get what you are saying about nasty hockey and don't necessarily disagree. But people have a legitimate reason to really dislike Bennett -- just as half the League hated Marchand, Lucic, Horton, etc, etc, etc.

Plus, when you say things like "sorry if he hurt your feelings", you sound a bit like a schoolboy with a crush. I'd ease off on the aggression -- because you can wish all you want but Sam Bennett isn't going to play in Boston anytime soon.
Pretty lame response, I like tough hockey.

Its funny reading the winey Bruins fans upset at Florida for becoming us , they are what we used to be.

Since when did opinion and liking a player become aggression? Everyone needs a hug these days.

When you employed Brad Marchand you have no say in calling out dirty players, period.

Bennett is a cub scout compare to the shit Brad has done in his career, BOTH are studs that every team wishes , oops Im mean want to have.

Anyway looking forward to seeing who we draft in the first round.

There will be many tears shed in the Hockey Night in Canada studios tonight.

Hopefully, McDavid can console Ron MacLean and Craig Simpson.
lets hope, so we can get on with next seasons plans

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Prior to Game Four, there was speculation it was Bobrovsky. The goals against were not solely on him, and Maurice pulled him, meaning his stats didn't take more of a hit.

But I think Barkov has been their best player in all four series, hence the scoring woes of Kucherov, Pastrnak, Panarin, and he almost added McDavid to the list.

Tkachuk has had a relatively quiet Final, but his point totals are good.

If it ends in five, I don't see it happening; but McDavid did break Gretzky's assist record. If he stretches the series to six games, it could happen. I recall JS Giguere won the Conn Smythe in 2003 on the losing team; not sure if it's happened since.

I honestly think Forsling has been their best player. I think he's had more to do with shutting down the star players than Barkov has. But the media seems to be leaning to Barkov.

And you are right about Bobrovsky. He probably should win it but game 4, possibly a meaningless game, screwed up his numbers.

Don't think they would give it McDavid, especially in Florida. But if they go back to Edmonton for a Game 6 he's in the running.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I honestly think Forsling has been their best player. I think he's had more to do with shutting down the star players than Barkov has. But the media seems to be leaning to Barkov.

And you are right about Bobrovsky. He probably should win it but game 4, possibly a meaningless game, screwed up his numbers.

Don't think they would give it McDavid, especially in Florida. But if they go back to Edmonton for a Game 6 he's in the running.
When did Forsling all of a sudden become this player? Pretty amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad