Confirmed with Link: Lightning re-sign Victor Hedman | 4 years, $8M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Our new Captain for 5* years
Screenshot_20240702_090859_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
That's great news actually. Great deal for us, between good and decent for Heddy. Surprised he left term on the table.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It will take him to 38, by that point he might want to retire or can sign 1 year deals

Yeah, it's not a bad deal for him. Getting to play until 38 in the NHL is great and with the money he has made, he will be well off, but I'm still surprised he didn't try to get a year more at that AAV.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yeah, it's not a bad deal for him. Getting to play until 38 in the NHL is great and with the money he has made, he will be well off, but I'm still surprised he didn't try to get a year more at that AAV.
It's all so he can sign with a contender at 39 and win a Cup, thus not retiring a bolt :cry:

• Wow
Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This one is kind of risky. ...although I guess the team has no chance once he's no long a #1, so whatever.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Glad to have Hedman locked up as there is not much in the pipeline behind him. He should definitely get the C unless he doesn't want it, which can't see that being the case.

Still does not get BriseBois off the hook, which I'm sure he is trying to put out some flames since yesterday.

Hedman obviously wanted to stay and retire a Bolt, just like Stamkos.

With our options at D, he is more essential to the team than Stamkos, but I still think BriseBois could have made the Stamkos deal work if he had really wanted to, and at a reasonable price. Not the 8M for 4 years and obviously not the reported 3M deal on the table.

This deal for Hedman doesn't necessarily change how the players feel about Stamkos' ouster but it will be up to Hedman to rally everyone. And still think the players likely don't view BriseBois positively (those of the core who have been a part of the team through the Cup runs, although that number is dwindling rapidly) following the process with Stamkos and then also with the trade of Sergachev after he had just signed him to that deal (which was a mistake from the beginning obviously).

Hedman - the last man standing from the OK Hockey era.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Hedman is so mad that JBB didn't bring back his best friend he signed an extension, what a hero.
He can still be upset, but yeah, deciding to change your whole future by going somewhere else wasn't going to happen either.

It can still cause a rift between the locker room and management. It still takes a voice out of the locker room that was crucial to getting the team to commit to work ethic and sacrificing the body, and doing whatever have to to get the win.

Victor is one of those guys too but the more of those voices you have the better. It of course is never one guy but the % is going down, by how much I don't know. It seemed there were some feelings that certain individuals, probably new faces to the team, that weren't getting the message of how things are done in Tampa, by the end of the year.

And to hell with the new system we tried this past year - what's the feedback loop on that? The team defense as a whole took a nosedive, and that somehow doesn't equate to those changes? Is McDonagh coming back to the system they had that worked or this new structure? Is the coaching staff going to make adjustments after seeing the actual results on the ice, or push that this structure can and will work.

Vasilevskiy should be able to help bail out defensive struggles unlike last season, unless he's had some permanent changes to his mobility from his back injury.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
No discount for the team like captain cups i see.

He can still be upset, but yeah, deciding to change your whole future by going somewhere else wasn't going to happen either.

It can still cause a rift between the locker room and management. It still takes a voice out of the locker room that was crucial to getting the team to commit to work ethic and sacrificing the body, and doing whatever have to to get the win.

Victor is one of those guys too but the more of those voices you have the better. It of course is never one guy but the % is going down, by how much I don't know. It seemed there were some feelings that certain individuals, probably new faces to the team, that weren't getting the message of how things are done in Tampa, by the end of the year.

And to hell with the new system we tried this past year - what's the feedback loop on that? The team defense as a whole took a nosedive, and that somehow doesn't equate to those changes? Is McDonagh coming back to the system they had that worked or this new structure? Is the coaching staff going to make adjustments after seeing the actual results on the ice, or push that this structure can and will work.

Vasilevskiy should be able to help bail out defensive struggles unlike last season, unless he's had some permanent changes to his mobility from his back injury.
Stamkos did it for the last game versus Florida, but that wasn't there all season. We still need a goal scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad