Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wonder if we could do something around Ehlers as a framework. Jets would need to add, and we would probably need an extension in place. But it would be enough money to bring Stamkos back while adding a speedy, scoring winger. I'd like a bigger player, but he's available.

Hagel-Point-Kucherov
Ehlers-Stamkos-Paul(?)
X-Cirelli-X

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

SaucerpassfromKuch

Nov 20, 2022
Hello everyone, first time poster, long time lurker here.

2 last offseasons have been pretty abysmal, I would go back to the McDonagh being traded and the 3 young guys (Cirelli, Cernak, Sergachev) being paid with the raise. Palat leaving was right choice and good for Drej, he got his payday. Same thing with Killorn.

Now the situation is that we brought back McDonagh and are opting to trade one or maybe two guys of the trio, which seems pretty odd from long-time strategy view point. I believe bringing McDonagh back was the right call though and he should help with the defensive zone problems. This team has couple years left to make some noise in the playoffs so I don't think they should cling on to younger guys just because they are "young".

Improving offense depth should be the priority this summer, so I would first look for options to trade Serg/Cernak, preferably Sergy as we are short on RD options. The Jeannot experiment should also be ditched and save what you can from that trade. I like Cirelli's game despite his contract and thus I would trade him as the last option. If he can put up 50 points in a season he should be fine contract value wise.

With the cap space we should probably get Stammer with around 6.5 mil per year and another top 6 forward. I don't expect huge return from the trades, but low cap hit bottom 6 forwards wouldn't be bad additions.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Trade Serg for someone like Guenther or Macelli and picks from Utah. They were reportedly looking for a dman anyway. They should still do.what they can to move Jeannot, Sheary, and Perbix if possible, then sign Roy, Stamkos, and a depth F such as Martinook if they get the cheaper Guenther. If it's the more expensive Maccelli, they could still upgrade the right with a Walker/Carrier/Tanev type, and still add a F in the 2.5-3 range depending h on exact values. A blueline of:
Hedman-Roy
McD-Cernak
Lilleberg-Raddysh
Or
Hedman-Raddysh/Tanev
McD-Cernak
Lilleberg-Walker/Carrier/Raddysh
Seems solid to me, and Crozier or.another min level like Fleury could be the #7.
I would love to see JBB go after a young Dman like Simashev, hes more of a big shut down dman and we probably need that more than offense

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
This is typical of how these contracts have gone. Stammer goes down to the wire and Hedman signs early.

Let's hope the reasoning is because Hedman wants to take another sweetheart deal to stay.

Hedman has a reasonable agent unlike Stamkos

Stamkos's agent expecting his client to accept a 3m contract I don't think is reasonable

Reactions: The Gongshow

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Hedman has a reasonable agent unlike Stamkos
Stammer is the one ultimately in control of what his agent does.

Don Meehan represents Stammer, Jeff Skinner and Mitchell Chaffee. That's like half of his client list. Most Newport contracts seem to be under Craig Oster and Patrick Morris.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
I wonder if we could do something around Ehlers as a framework. Jets would need to add, and we would probably need an extension in place. But it would be enough money to bring Stamkos back while adding a speedy, scoring winger. I'd like a bigger player, but he's available.

Hagel-Point-Kucherov
Ehlers-Stamkos-Paul(?)
X-Cirelli-X

Cirelli + Eyssimont and Jeannot would be a hell of a 3rd line IMO

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Friedman saying the Lightning are interested in Guentzel is intriguing. Likely a backup option if Stamkos walks
We don't have enough cap for him. But it would be a solid signing if Stammer is truly gone

Guntzel - Point - Kuch
Hagel - Cirelli - ???
We know Hagel and Cirelli have good chemistry, but Hagel will then be reduced a shutdown role

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We don't have enough cap for him. But it would be a solid signing if Stammer is truly gone

Guntzel - Point - Kuch
Hagel - Cirelli - ???
We know Hagel and Cirelli have good chemistry, but Hagel will then be reduced a shutdown role
Ugh, that's pretty underwhelming.

If we don't make a major trade, I think we are missing the playoffs.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If JBB is interested in Guentzel and he is interested in Tampa, then it would make more sense for JBB to make a Serg trade. The same holds true for Stamkos, but it's seeming more and more likely that perhaps JBB isn't willing to lose other key pieces to keep Stamkos at 34/35+ year old seasons. Perhaps it's different thinking around a player like Guentzel, who is 29 and provides similar production and ability. A top 6 with him, Point, Kuch, Hagel, Cirelli, and likely a younger F acquired in the Serg trade (or a ufa signing depending on cap space), doesn't look bad at all.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Who says JBB can’t sign Stamkos it may be he doesn’t want to pay a 34 year old that much term and money
While true, I don't think JBB ever really wanted to sign him, but the cap issue is still prominent, we can't afford Jake right now either

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If cernak goes we can
Zero reason to move Cernak. Despite his injury issues, Tampa has no one else on the right side better than a 4/5 type dman at best, nor anyone coming up anytime soon for that role realistically. We know Serg won't be deployed on the right side either, so losing Cernak makes very little sense.

Cirelli and Cernak make no sense at all to move. Sergachev, Jeannot and Perbix, with Sheary trade or buyout makes the.most sense to improving the roster moving ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad