Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
With the Sharks signing Smith and Washington possibly trying sign Leonard, could Eamon Powell change his mind about staying another year in college? we lose his rights August 14th.

If Powell takes off too then forget that guy. If this happens again we need to seriously stop drafting out of the USHL so heavily because we barely manage to secure the rights to any of them

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
But I thought he was only good because of the team in front of him
Vasy was great no doubt but our team was stacked our 3rd line was Coleman, gourde and Goodrow I’d take that over what we have for line 2 right now lol easy !

Plus our defense was what ?

Hedman, rutta
Mac , cernak
Serg , savard

Our top 6 forwards were

Palat, point, Kucherov
Stamkos , cirell , killorn
Coleman, gourde , Goodrow
Maroon, Johnson ,Joseph

Then

Vasy

So with our current team the last two years what has Vasy done recently?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Isn't goals saved above expected the most team independent stat of goalkeeping? It's major scoring chances against your team that supposedly makes you look good still manages to allow, and yet you kept it out anyway.

Acknowledging past performance is independent of him being underwhelming lately.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Isn't goals saved above expected the most team independent stat of goalkeeping? It's major scoring chances against your team that supposedly makes you look good still manages to allow, and yet you kept it out anyway.

Acknowledging past performance is independent of him being underwhelming lately.

It is, it's also a stat that hugely discredits his 2019 Vezina win considering Gibson put him similar numbers, on a worse team and blew him out the water in GSAx.

Neither of those things are mutually exclusive, he played great, he also played behind the best all round team (by far) in the NHL both those years.

Last edited:

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
It is, it also a stat that hugely discredits his 2019 Vezina win considering Gibson put him similar numbers, on a worse team and blew him out the water in GSAx.

Neither of those things are mutually exclusive, he played great, he also played behind the best all round team (by far) in the NHL both those years.
This is all true, but the eye test for a lot of those games in that run tell a clear story. That dude stole MANY games for us. Important games too. All those shutouts in elimination games. Doesn't he hold some record for that?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What happened with Jeannot?

Curious to see Lightning fans thoughts because on the outside, he seems like he could be an interesting target for the Devils to add some physicality to the fourth (and maybe third) line.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018

Curious to see Lightning fans thoughts because on the outside, he seems like he could be an interesting target for the Devils to add some physicality to the fourth (and maybe third) line.
feel like he came in with very high expectations due to what we gave up for him. so between not stay healthy enough and being stuck in the bottom 6 as an "enforcer" type role instead of a middle 6 / 2nd PP net front guy, he kind of bottomed out here as a 4th line tough guy that is fragile boned and is now "overpaid" for what he brings to the table.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Came in with high expectations and then proceeded to underperform even the lowest expectations, whether because of injury, being overrated, or just not being a fit for our system.

Reactions: AHockeyFanatic

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Send Palat.

NJBolt

May 1, 2024
NJ would probably be happy to trade Palat and his $6 million AAV for 3 more years straight up for Jeannot with 1 year at $2.665 million but I am not sure JBB would be able to make the cap work.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Me personally, I’m a fan of Tanner Jeannot.
What does he bring for his salary that has won us any playoff games or detered montour from cross checking kucherov in the neck and putting all of his weight on his high lats and lower neck? He is an overpaid enforcer that doesn't even deter guys from trying to hurt our franchise player. He didn't make montour or any panther pay with his fist. He has negative value to his cap hit. I can tell you right now Andre Roy or Dingman would not let that go unanswered for and why the teams won a cup with them.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
What does he bring for his salary that has won us any playoff games or detered montour from cross checking kucherov in the neck and putting all of his weight on his high lats and lower neck? He is an overpaid enforcer that doesn't even deter guys from trying to hurt our franchise player. He didn't make montour or any panther pay with his fist. He has negative value to his cap hit. I can tell you right now Andre Roy or Dingman would not let that go unanswered for and why the teams won a cup with them.
Obviously you can't play the game like that anymore. Montour is one of the biggest spot pickers in the league and he would've smiled as he drew the retaliation penalty, just like he did with Maroon previously.

I'd actually argue Jeannot is a pretty traditional enforcer who respects the code, but also will go after guys below his class for the right reason. Look what he did with Bunting. 9/10 times in today's NHL, it would've been someone like Eyssimont or even Stamkos to challenge Bunting because he's not a real fighter, but Jeannot gave him no choice. He knows when to send a message and when he's on the ice, it's clear as day nobody wants to f*** with him.

The guy deserves more respect.

Reactions: Meuracas

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
NJ would probably be happy to trade Palat and his $6 million AAV for 3 more years straight up for Jeannot with 1 year at $2.665 million but I am not sure JBB would be able to make the cap work.
That ship has sailed. I am not implying he burned a bridge here. I will always love Palat and be thankful for so many great years. But trading Jeannot for him is simply trading a guy who can't stay healthy for another guy who (historically) can't stay healthy and has 3 more years *and* is a $6 million AAV. It's less about walking the line the Lightning tell you and just more that Palat secured the best deal he could get in NJ and it will never work here

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Obviously you can't play the game like that anymore. Montour is one of the biggest spot pickers in the league and he would've smiled as he drew the retaliation penalty, just like he did with Maroon previously.

I'd actually argue Jeannot is a pretty traditional enforcer who respects the code, but also will go after guys below his class for the right reason. Look what he did with Bunting. 9/10 times in today's NHL, it would've been someone like Eyssimont or even Stamkos to challenge Bunting because he's not a real fighter, but Jeannot gave him no choice. He knows when to send a message and when he's on the ice, it's clear as day nobody wants to f*** with him.

WE are down 3 to 1 in the series. He absolutely should have went after him or grabbed him off the bench and brought the pain to his face. If you want to take runs at our star player's trying to hurt them, then the enforcers job is to send the message with his fist that won't be tolerated. Jeannot can't deter guys from trying to break kucherov's neck and is a negative player in terms of corsi on the ice. Why did he get a raise for nothing after his failed playoff run against Toronto? He didn't show he earned almost 3 times he salary/ Then followed it up by nothing poor play , not protecting our star players, and not getting even with his fist against guys trying to injure our stars. Even if he gets suspended for it? Who cares he doesn't bring anything to the ice anyways. Nacho Labrie brought more to the table than him for less and cost the lightning nothing.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL

Respect as an enforcer is earned by protecting your stars and showing up in big moments. Jeannot has did neither.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad