Prospect Info: Florian Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
As I have previously posted, after watching Florian last year, I think many people here, due to his name and size, have not surprisingly, miscast Florian as bottom six forward. This kid has superior skating and offensive skills. His offensive vision allowed him to be an important cog (playing the right point/half-boards) on the Bulldogs' power play. This is not your usual 4th line grinder. As he showed at the recent development camp, his future success in the NHL will rest on his hockey skills and not his supposed physical prowess.

While it is highly doubtful that Florian makes the team out of training camp, I think if he can repeat his level of play at Laval at the end of last season (where he was very effective) he will be the first call up if injuries strike. This was a great 4th round pick. The type of intuitive pick that can materially alter your team's depth and talent level.
He’d have to outplay Laine Caufield Slaf and Demidof to be top 6 though. You think he has that upside (I have never seen him play)?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He’d have to outplay Laine Caufield Slaf and Demidof to be top 6 though. You think he has that upside (I have never seen him play)?

Exactly and it is not like Florian was an offensive dynamo in junior as he barely eclipsed a ppg in his D+2 (if he hadn't been passed over). His development curve does provide some hope as well as his play style perhaps being a compliment to more finesse type linemates.

All of Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Salfkovsky, Laine, Newhook, Demidov, Roy, Beck, Hage and Kapanen have all displayed more impressive production than Florian at the same age so it is a steep hill for him to climb to find a spot in the future top six.

Reactions: Naslundforever

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Exactly and it is not like Florian was an offensive dynamo in junior as he barely eclipsed a ppg in his D+2 (if he hadn't been passed over). His development curve does provide some hope as well as his play style perhaps being a compliment to more finesse type linemates.

All of Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Salfkovsky, Laine, Newhook, Demidov, Roy, Beck, Hage and Kapanen have all displayed more impressive production than Florian at the same age so it is a steep hill for him to climb to find a spot in the future top six.
Yep, but he could be a 3rd line able to play up for injuries or at worse a deluxe 4th liner. Damn things are looking up these days...

Reactions: Naslundforever

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
It will be tough for Florian to crack Montreal's top six. But that says more about the strength of the Canadiens' projected top six in a few years than Florian's potential. If he gains the required quickness, I easily see him being a mainstay on the team's third line. Florian has the offensive vision, skill, shot and skating ability to go along with his size that will make him a valuable player for the Canadiens. I watched him play over 40 times last year both in the OHL and AHL. And as many of us recognized watching him during this summer's development camp, this is no mere 4th line fill-in.

He was clearly under drafted in the fourth round. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
It will be tough for Florian to crack Montreal's top six. But that says more about the strength of the Canadiens' projected top six in a few years than Florian's potential. If he gains the required quickness, I easily see him being a mainstay on the team's third line. Florian has the offensive vision, skill, shot and skating ability to go along with his size that will make him a valuable player for the Canadiens. I watched him play over 40 times last year both in the OHL and AHL. And as many of us recognized watching him during this summer's development camp, this is no mere 4th line fill-in.

He was clearly under drafted in the fourth round. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.
Our very own Tom Wilson. Very versatile type of player, put him in the right chair with compatible talent and he shall produce.

Even if he ends up on the fourth, he's a disruptor in his own way. We might have the most intimidating police force in the league with his brother by his side. I'd consider playing em together for momentum changing shifts sometimes, forechek would relentless.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Xhekaj can play center or wing, which is ideal to carve himself a job with the Habs in a not far future.

Doubt he is a center at the pro level. We will see though. I think this kid is going to make some noise in the AHL this year. The younger Xhekaj got grit and he's not afraid to use it. He also has some skill and might be a great 3rd line piece for us

It will be interesting to see how the top 6 looks when our youth are mature. I like to think more top 9 vs top 6 though. NHL is changing and the 3rd line is becoming more and more important. It's very possible the Habs alter lines (depending on match-up) and create 3 good lines. Extra ice time comes on the PP and PK

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015

Sometimes one can be good at being lucky ;)

Reactions: Tyson

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
The last thing you'll see when you realise unicorns 🦄 are real;

1000008614.png

Reactions: Mudz and Andrei79

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Does he play in Laval or does he go back to junior as an overager? A legitimate argument for him to play one more season in the OHL can be made.

Reactions: Rapala

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Does he play in Laval or does he go back to junior as an overager? A legitimate argument for him to play one more season in the OHL can be made.
I think playing against men in the AHL would be better than bullying all the kids in the OHL. Players that can handle him in the OHL will be rare.

The answer is easy for me : AHL.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think playing against men in the AHL would be better than bullying all the kids in the OHL. Players that can handle him in the OHL will be rare.

The answer is easy for me : AHL.

There's no rush. He's a late bloomers with only 2 seasons in the CHL. I'd have no issues seeing him go back to dominate offensively. While he's big, he still needs to add size to really play in the pros with his style of game.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I would OHL this year, Laval next year and then the big club the year following. Gally and Andy are both gone and he slides in nicely.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

they signed him to be in the AHL, if they sent him back imo it would only be because he didn't look ready. He's got to improve his lower body strength and get quicker but he'll be in Laval unless things go badly at camp.

Reactions: CAUFIELD

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I think it is pretty simple. Send him back to Brantford for an overage season. He is following the development path of his brother. Arber’s 19 year old season was his breakout season and then it wasn’t until his over age season that he really became that dominant force. Keep in mind that Florian only had 65 points in 63 games last year. Yes he broke out offensively jumping from 25 points the year before but he still wasn’t dominant last year. He finished 6th on Brantford in points per game. Let him play there for the season and work on his offensive game and hopefully he fills out his frame some more.

Plus the Habs rebuild is really affecting Laval this year. It is at a point where the drafted players over the last few years are turning pro. They will have Barre-Boulet, Gignac and Dauphin there as AHL vets. Then second year players in Roy (possibly full time NHLer), Farrell, Heineman, Kidney, Davidson. Simoneau headed into his third year. Then newcomers in Beck, Mesar and Tuch. With all of that youth in Laval maybe waiting another year on Xhekaj is a good thing. By next year hopefully a player or two will graduate to the NHL opening a few spots. As of next year I am thinking that only Xhekaj would be an AHL rookie forward. Demidov would be the only realistic turning pro choice but I am fairly certain that he skips the AHL.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If we want Florian to be a center maybe one more year in the OHL is the way to go.
Still a lot of detail work to be done. His skating has to get better as well.
It was pretty evident Tuch is much further along than Florian is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad