2022 University Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
This was an upset, but not a lopsided game. Ryerson got the early lead and clearly knew how to play a tight defensive game once they got in front.

Yes, UNB put up 36 shots but there were score effects there (leading team not taking as many chances) and a lot of perimeter shots.
Very true. While this is an upset it is not that massive. UNB has had trouble scoring in 2022 for that reason. Not many quality shots on net.

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
This was an upset, but not a lopsided game. Ryerson got the early lead and clearly knew how to play a tight defensive game once they got in front.

Yes, UNB put up 36 shots but there were score effects there (leading team not taking as many chances) and a lot of perimeter shots.
Ryerson played 'prevent' hockey practically all game, sitting on the lead. The power play goal was the decider. Reds couldn't crack the blue wall that consistently collapsed back into the slot and blocked shots and made it hard for UNB to get to rebounds. It was a good defensive strategy, and as Gardiner said post game it is always easier to play with a lead. UNB created chances in the game that probably Boland, or Guay, or guys from last season would have finished. But not this crew.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
As a Lifelong UNB fan since I was a young kid (I'm 43 now FYI) there been a lot of years I felt UNB dominated even when they lost and should have won it all. This wasn't one of those years.

UNB was not good for 2&1/2 periods no dangerous chances. Ryerson was the better Team cause they did exactly what they knew they had to going into the game.

UNB was only playing well the last 10 minutes of the 3rd, but they have lacked finish again and it was too late.

Hats off to Ryerson, happy for their program they deserved the win, and might I ad, when is the last time an OUA team had a 2 game winning streak vs UNB??? currently its Ryerson

Reactions: Rob

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Observation since 2003, ever since watching UNB play vs UQTR at the 2003 University Cup in Freddy, no matter how many times I've seen UQTR play in person in Fredericton or Moncton or on TV, UQTR always looks Short and Stocky (Wide bodied) its like they wear wider shoulder pads or something, am I crazy??? no other team in the CIS looks that way to me?

BTW Much nicer Uniforms by UQTR and their newer Logo is Sweet. They've had some ugly duds over the years

Reactions: timbitca

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Observation since 2003, ever since watching UNB play vs UQTR at the 2003 University Cup in Freddy, no matter how many times I've seen UQTR play in person in Fredericton or Moncton or on TV, UQTR always looks Short and Stocky (Wide bodied) its like they wear wider shoulder pads or something, am I crazy??? no other team in the CIS looks that way to me?

BTW Much nicer Uniforms by UQTR and their newer Logo is Sweet. They've had some ugly duds over the years
I’m gonna disagree on the uniforms , they scream “gas station logo” meets “70s minor pro basketball” to me.
I agree on the stocky looking guys , I keep waiting for them to run out of legs but they were the better team in first overtime . No one really has stood out on either team besides Sidhu and whoever 8 for UBC is.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UQTR's overtime win means that the OUA will have a representative in the final for the first time since McGill beat Western in 2012's title game.

I think it's great for CIS hockey. I've never been a fan of dynasties even with teams I liked. UQTR were the better team overall in this game. I was surprised the winning goal came off the rush. I expected a clapper from the point go off 2 sticks and a helmet.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
Ryerson full marks for the win, they played the game they had to. Kept play away from front of net. Since play resumed in February this UNB team looked vulnerable to any team that could score two goals and not built to play from behind. Strong on back end, but just little offensive firepower with mid season losses.

A weird season for all and all the best to four remaining teams.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Game Day!!!

SFX vs UofA 1 pm
UQTR vs RYE 7 pm

Any predictions? The one's I've seen so far have not been the greatest.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
I'd like X and either of the other two teams. UQTR because they're the only other french university besides us competing, and Ryerson have pretty nice colours. But if Ryerson plays like they did against UNB they should be able to beat UQTR, and they played a period less... with travelling back to HFX and all the Pats we're probably not in bed until way past midnight. I know they play the late game tonight, but it might still be a factor.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'd like X and either of the other two teams. UQTR because they're the only other french university besides us competing, and Ryerson have pretty nice colours. But if Ryerson plays like they did against UNB they should be able to beat UQTR, and they played a period less... with travelling back to HFX and all the Pats we're probably not in bed until way past midnight. I know they play the late game tonight, but it might still be a factor.

I agree. A short turnaround for UQTR. I think the game will be as good as last night. Either way, it's great for the OUA.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I’m gonna disagree on the uniforms , they scream “gas station logo” meets “70s minor pro basketball” to me.
I agree on the stocky looking guys , I keep waiting for them to run out of legs but they were the better team in first overtime . No one really has stood out on either team besides Sidhu and whoever 8 for UBC is.
Here's hoping we see their third unis this weekend.
image-45.png

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Alberta's special teams and counter attack are fantastic!! So organized.

I thought X was the better team in the first, but as soon as the second period turned into a special teams battle this one was over.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
With the 7-0 win over Acadia and a 7-3 win over a good ST. FX team Alberta heads into the University Cup Final with a 15-1 record in the 2nd Half of the season and a 6-0 record in the CW Play-offs and U Cup outscoring the opposition 37-8 in those 6 games.
The Bears still have another gear IMO!
Don't think their top line of Pawlenchuk-Fonteyne-Philp have gotten completely untracked yet.
Clearly Alberta's depth has been on display.
Case in point the Golden Bears have Luc Smith a 2-time 28 goal scorer in the WHL, and Josh Patterson who scored 31 goals in the WHL one season...on their 4th line.
This depth enables Ian Herbers to basically roll 4 lines and trade chances.

All that said.
It's a single game winner takes all final.
Anything can happen!
Whoever comes out of the other Semifinal tonight be it UQTR or Ryerson is capable of winning the University Cup.

I do remember back in 1991 when i was doing my first stint as Golden Bears PxP Alberta outshooting UQTR 41-19...and losing 7-2 in the University Cup Final.
In 1992 at the U. Cup...current Habs Color Analyst Dany Dube was HC of Les Patriotes.
They were ranked #1. Goaltender Denis Desbiens was the Sullivan Trophy winner...and Alberta beat them 9-1 with former Ottawa HC Corey Clouston (a 4th liner on that Bears team) scoring 4 goals.

U just never know what is gonna happen!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad