2022 University Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Again, we're all aware of UNB's record, and they should be a favourite in round 1. But there's a more-than-remote chance that this game resembles the UNB-Carleton game from a few years back ('18 or '19, IIRC).
Of course, given the Rams' goaltending issues in the second half, it could also resemble UNB-Concordia, too.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have no idea what is going to happen this weekend at the University Cup,
Too unpredictable.
I will tell u that is a pretty good Golden Bears squad.
Based on what I saw earlier in the season I am stunned Saskatchewan didn't also make it out of the West as well.
They had great structure and process in their game, but injuries undermined them and they ended up with a lack of depth.
UBC has an excellent goalie in Rylan Toth who is drawing Pro Interest.
He can flat out steal a game,..or two...like he did in Edmonton in 2019 CW Playoffs.
No one wants to say it at Alberta out of respect from Clare Drake, Bill Moores and Rob Daum...but Ian Herbers is probably the best HC in Golden Bears history.
Not a lot of USports Coaches have played in Usports/AHL/NHL and then been an AHL HC and NHL Assistant Coach.
Herbers has the highest winning % of any Golden Bears HC.
He is 9-2 in 4 trips to the University Cup. The Bears have outscored teams 42-19 in those games.
His 2 losses?
In 2013 Alberta lost 2-1 to Windsor despite outshooting them 43-13..and hit 5 posts.
In 2019 Alberta lost the U. CUP Final 4-2 to UNB.
In that game USports Player of the Year Luke Philp broke his ankle 8 minutes into the game. UNB had an excellent team. Never any shame losing to that program.
Luke Philp btw signed an NHL deal with Calgary and his having a great season in the AHL.
He has 21-18-39 in 53 GP and leads a terrific Stockton squad with +22. He is a high end AHL player.
The Bears have been a different team in the 2nd Half of the season since Luke's younger and much bigger brother Noah Philp, and Luc Smith returned to program.
The Golden Bears went 13-1 in the 2nd Half of the season and Philp (6'3") had 15-11-26 in those 14 games including 10 points in 4 Conference Playoff games.
Smith (6'4") plays on the 4th line 5v5 but is net front PP1 and led Alberta with 5 goals in the playoff sweeps over Calgary and UBC, who the Golden Bears outscored by a combined 23-5...albeit with all 4 GP at Clare Drake Arena.
To my knowledge there are at least 5 NHL teams looking at Noah Philp, wouldn't surprise me if he gets an NHL deal after the Tournament.
One more thing.
Alberta only played one game on Olympic ice this season.
They beat Calgary 7-2 back in November, 2021.
If the Golden Bears win their record setting 17th National title I think they will have run the table vs AUS teams.
Very difficult task.
X is always a tough out. Probably the 3rd best Program in the Country the last 15 seasons, and UNB is UNB.
No clue on what to expect from Acadia.
I do think Alberta will outshoot them like 32-18 or something (remember Olympic ice usually means fewer SOG)

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I have no idea what is going to happen this weekend at the University Cup,
Too unpredictable.
I will tell u that is a pretty good Golden Bears squad.
Based on what I saw earlier in the season I am stunned Saskatchewan didn't also make it out of the West as well.
They had great structure and process in their game, but injuries undermined them and they ended up with a lack of depth.
UBC has an excellent goalie in Rylan Toth who is drawing Pro Interest.
He can flat out steal a game,..or two...like he did in Edmonton in 2019 CW Playoffs.
No one wants to say it at Alberta out of respect from Clare Drake, Bill Moores and Rob Daum...but Ian Herbers is probably the best HC in Golden Bears history.
Not a lot of USports Coaches have played in Usports/AHL/NHL and then been an AHL HC and NHL Assistant Coach.
Herbers has the highest winning % of any Golden Bears HC.
He is 9-2 in 4 trips to the University Cup. The Bears have outscored teams 42-19 in those games.
His 2 losses?
In 2013 Alberta lost 2-1 to Windsor despite outshooting them 43-13..and hit 5 posts.
In 2019 Alberta lost the U. CUP Final 4-2 to UNB.
In that game USports Player of the Year Luke Philp broke his ankle 8 minutes into the game. UNB had an excellent team. Never any shame losing to that program.
Luke Philp btw signed an NHL deal with Calgary and his having a great season in the AHL.
He has 21-18-39 in 53 GP and leads a terrific Stockton squad with +22. He is a high end AHL player.
The Bears have been a different team in the 2nd Half of the season since Luke's younger and much bigger brother Noah Philp, and Luc Smith returned to program.
The Golden Bears went 13-1 in the 2nd Half of the season and Philp (6'3") had 15-11-26 in those 14 games including 10 points in 4 Conference Playoff games.
Smith (6'4") plays on the 4th line 5v5 but is net front PP1 and led Alberta with 5 goals in the playoff sweeps over Calgary and UBC, who the Golden Bears outscored by a combined 23-5...albeit with all 4 GP at Clare Drake Arena.
To my knowledge there are at least 5 NHL teams looking at Noah Philp, wouldn't surprise me if he gets an NHL deal after the Tournament.
One more thing.
Alberta only played one game on Olympic ice this season.
They beat Calgary 7-2 back in November, 2021.
If the Golden Bears win their record setting 17th National title I think they will have run the table vs AUS teams.
Very difficult task.
X is always a tough out. Probably the 3rd best Program in the Country the last 15 seasons, and UNB is UNB.
No clue on what to expect from Acadia.
I do think Alberta will outshoot them like 32-18 or something (remember Olympic ice usually means fewer SOG)
I wouldn't expect much out of Acadia. Even before the 5 departures, they were basically the basement dwellers in the league. After the AUS resumed play, Axemen played teams tight on home ice, so you never know...

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I recall that game and the discussion around it.

In 2009 Thunder Bay, SMU was +3 going into the their game with UWO who were -1.
I was joking with Shelia-Ann Newton from CIS that we were gonna forfeit the game.
She called Stieny and asked him if it was true. In hindsight I wish we had done that.
I remember that. :)

Reactions: AdamMcg83

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
<snip>
However, they are now one of the oldest teams in the country (14 graduating players), and they've finally overcome some adversity and shown some grit (two third-period comebacks in the playoffs).
I wouldn't say they play a mean or heavy style. But they have a weird kind of calm to them recently, and they have some high-end talent (50-60 pt major junior guys) that is rare for OUA West teams, specifically. They aren't a favourite against UNB, by any means, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were a harder out than anticipated.
At today's press conference Johnny Duco mentioned how many veteran players he had, and the fact that they've played UNB four times in the last few years. He knows what he is up against. He said they welcomed the challenge and are relishing the underdog role.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
We know what Alberta, UNB, and St FX are. I'm really curious to see where UQTR stacks up.
I think UQTR is the dark horse. Coach Hubert said today that it was "six long years", emphasis on long, since they've been back to the UCup. I haven't seen much more than highlights of their games this year, but they seem to have all the tools.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I wouldn't expect much out of Acadia. Even before the 5 departures, they were basically the basement dwellers in the league. After the AUS resumed play, Axemen played teams tight on home ice, so you never know...
I cannot see any way Alberta loses to Acadia. Paddock would have to stand on his head, Axemen get all the puck bounces, and Alberta's special teams would have to stink out the joint. Acadia's only avenue of success I see is to work their bags off and bring back that nasty edge they used to play and somehow get the Golden Bears off their game. Doubtful.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Ryerson/UNB will be interesting. Ryerson is a big, mean team who plays a heavy game. I think UNB is the -300 favourites to win but wouldn't be shocked if Ryerson wins.
UNB will play any way you want them to. If you bring the boom, they will give it back. In the AUS you finish your checks. UNB is not as big or skilled as they used to be, but their forecheck can be smothering and they have elite goaltending. Just ask StFX.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good showing by the AUS in major awards:

SFX Liam Hawel picks up Rookie of the Year
DAL Chris Donnelly as Coach of the Year
UNB Joe Gatenby Most Sportsmanlike Player

Reactions: timbitca

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I think X vs Brock will be the most lopsided game of the four. Alberta should have no problem with Acadia but I think the Axemen will battle hard not to get humiliated on home ice.

Even though they are not a high scoring team UNB should still have no problem dispersing Ryerson. UQTR vs UBC is the toughest to call.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I think X vs Brock will be the most lopsided game of the four. Alberta should have no problem with Acadia but I think the Axemen will battle hard not to get humiliated on home ice.

Even though they are not a high scoring team UNB should still have no problem dispersing Ryerson. UQTR vs UBC is the toughest to call.

I think UQTR-UBC game will be entertaining. UofA, UNB and SFX are all capable of winning by 2 or more.

Acadia struggled in the 1st half because of injuries and only played 4 games in the 2nd half, losing 3. They had 2 good games with UNB and SFX and a win over UdeM. They lost a lot of talent when their guys went pro. Had that not happened Acadia may have had a bit of a playoff run. I don't think they're deep enough to withstand what UofA can throw at them. I don't expect them to roll over but it will take a lot of "luck" for them to win.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com

This is likely true, but the most lopsided game in 2020 was supposed to be Sask over Western.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Enjoy!

I’m not able to get down there this weekend, but I got the big screen in my basement all set-up and ready to go. Added bonus - the drinks are cheaper and the bathroom line is shorter.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Long time No sign in!

Here is my predictions for the Games

Alberta 4 Acadia 2 (empty netter)
UNB 4 Ryerson 0 (In the battle of Jerseys Featuring the Letter R
UBC 3 UQTR 2
St. FX 7 Brock 2

Semis

Alberta 4 St FX 3
UNB 5 UBC 2

Cup Final will be a 1 goal game but I cant decide for who yet

UNB had a typical first half and looked like a clear cut favorite Until the Omicron Scenario and season in Jeopardy. The Loss of Guay and Boland turned out to hurt more than I thought it would. Reds seem to snakebitten around the net, even though they continue to play their game

My biggest Hope for me is UNB doesn't wear those Basic Red Uniforms with the Giant Letter R (ironically colored in Black). I'm still bitter about the R logo yes

Good luck to all Nice to Finally see The U Cup back, been waiting since UBC and UNB were to take the Ice in 2020

Last edited:

Huskiedoo

Jan 20, 2022
This is likely true, but the most lopsided game in 2020 was supposed to be Sask over Western.
What was never reported from that game was how most of the Huskies team had fallen ill from suspected food poisoning the day before … But give Western credit regardless. You never know what can happen in a one-and-done format at nationals.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Game #2
Alberta controlled the first with skill and took advantage of some open ice.
Acadia looked much better in the second period and had chances off the rush and on the pp.
Burman made some good stops for Alberta, but the lack of finish.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad