2022 Prospect Poll #17

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the Sabres' #17 prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
RESULTS SO FAR:
  1. Owen Power, D (--): 86/103 votes (83.5%). Runner up: Jack Quinn (11 votes).
  2. Jack Quinn, F (+2): 65/78 votes (83.3%). Runner up: Devon Levi (4 votes).
  3. J.J. Peterka, F (--): 40/91 votes (43.8%). Runner up: Matthew Savoie (35 votes).
  4. Matthew Savoie, F (NR): 59/96 votes (61.5%). Runner up: Devon Levi (27 votes).
  5. Devon Levi, G (+4): 79/96 votes (82.3%). Runner up: Jiri Kulich (11 votes).
  6. Jiri Kulich, F (NR): 54/96 votes (56.3%). Runner up: Noah Ostlund (29 votes).
  7. Noah Ostlund, F (NR): 77/98 votes (78.6%). Runner up: Ryan Johnson (8 votes).
  8. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G (+3): 30/97 votes (30.9%). Runners up: Ryan Johnson, Isak Rosen (28 votes).
  9. Isak Rosen, F (-4): 40/95 votes (42.1%). Runner up: Ryan Johnson (40 votes, see tie-breaker)
  10. Ryan Johnson, D (-4): 40/95 votes (42.1%). Runner up: Erik Portillo (7 votes).
  11. Erik Portillo, G (-1): 36/73 votes (49.3%). Runner up: Prokhor Poltapov (10 votes).
  12. Alexander Kisakov, F (+3): 25/82 votes (30.5%). Runner up: Prokhor Poltapov (15 votes).
  13. Prokhor Poltapov, F (-5): 20/70 votes (28.6%). Runner up: Viktor Neuchev (16 votes).
  14. Viktor Neuchev, F (NR): 24/82 votes (29.3%). Runner up: Tyson Kozak (22 votes).
  15. Tyson Kozak, F (NR): 25/55 votes (45.5%). Runner up: Nikita Novikov (9 votes).
  16. Nikita Novikov, D (+1): 22/66 votes (33.3%). Runner up: Lukas Rousek (18 votes).

RULES: Each poll will remain open for 2 days. In the case of a tie within the top 10, I'll create a 1-day runoff poll to decide the winner. Ties outside of the top 10 will be left as ties. For each additional poll, I will add the most commented next to add prospect.

ELIGIBILITY: All players whose rights are held by the Buffalo Sabres and who are eligible to win the Calder Trophy for the 2022-23 season are eligible inclusion. That means a prospect is eligible if--
  • He is under age 26 as of September 15, 2022;
  • He has played no more than 25 games in any single preceding season; and
  • He has not played 6 or more games in each of any two or more preceding seasons.

NEXT TO ADD: Comment the player you want to see added to the next poll. The following players are eligible:
  • Forwards: Linus Sjodin, Matej Pekar, Matteo Costantini, Gustav Karlsson, Jake Richard, Joel Berndtsson, Stiven Sardaryan, William von Barnekow, Jakub Konecny, Brett Murray, Vasili Glotov
  • Defensemen: Oskari Laaksonen, Albert Lyckasen, Philip Nyberg

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I really see most of these guys in buckets of potential. I just don't have the passion (or the visibility) to rank some of these guys over others that could very well be very good NHLer in a few years. It is almost like you need a few different criteria to even begin to paint a picture of where these kids are in their potential, trajectory, and development. Maybe some of you are doing that.

For instance, at this point, I see a few names jump out where there has been surprise development of later round picks. But those guys were not even really on the radar during their draft years. We also have players that are playing overseas in leagues that may or may not be good for their development, but the Sabres know in a year they can get their pro development group on the job if they can make the jump to the AHL.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Funny how Bloom and Nadeau were 2 of the first players added but still not many people are voting for them. Training camp's a hell of a drug, I guess.
In future it could be a good idea to either start this list a little earlier or have each poll run for less time. Maybe both?

Having training camp happen halfway through certainly throws up strange votes with many clearly adopting the 'what have you done for me today' mindset.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
In future it could be a good idea to either start this list a little earlier or have each poll run for less time. Maybe both?

Having training camp happen halfway through certainly throws up strange votes with many clearly adopting the 'what have you done for me today' mindset.

At the same time, shouldn't performance in camp be considered in these polls anyways? I mean, the guys between 10 and 20 are soooo close anyways, why not include all the information you have on a prospect in determining their order? Maybe you say "hey, this guy is closer to the NHL than I thought" and you adjust accordingly.

Some people might be overdoing it on a small sample size, but this happens all the time. Guy has a great WJC, or a great playoff series, or conversely, a bad one.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
At the same time, shouldn't performance in camp be considered in these polls anyways? I mean, the guys between 10 and 20 are soooo close anyways, why not include all the information you have on a prospect in determining their order? Maybe you say "hey, this guy is closer to the NHL than I thought" and you adjust accordingly.

Some people might be overdoing it on a small sample size, but this happens all the time. Guy has a great WJC, or a great playoff series, or conversely, a bad one.
In this case then maybe start the first poll after training camp has finished? Not halfway through which is what is causing some strange results.

Although recency bias will always be a personal frustration of mine.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
In this case then maybe start the first poll after training camp has finished? Not halfway through which is what is causing some strange results.

Although recency bias will always be a personal frustration of mine.

Polls started well before training camp. It's why last season's performance mattered to the early add votes and then was immediately forgotten in favor of recency bias.

Reactions: Dingo44

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Polls started well before training camp. It's why last season's performance mattered to the early add votes and then was immediately forgotten in favor of recency bias.
Yes i know.

I'm suggesting to either have the polls finish before camp starts or start them after camp has finished...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad