WC: 2022 Division IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
For the first time ever a Division IV is being contested this year, after being cancelled in 2020 and 2021.

Kyrgyzstan is hosting, and playing alongside teams from Kuwait, Malaysia, Singapore, and Iran (the Philippines were also set to join, but had to back out). The latter three teams are making their World Championship debuts, which is always exciting.

Kyrgyzstan is probably the favourite, especially after the first days' results, though I am impressed that they have quite a few ethnic Kyrgyz on the team, and aren't just full of ethnic Russians like Kazkhstan (and Turkmenistan) does.

Link to tournament: IIHF - Home 2022 IIHF ICE HOCKEY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Division IV

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The Iran-Kuwait match had a minor skirmish yesterday, after an Iranian player checked a Kuwaiti in to the boards. The video in the link starts right at that and goes for a couple minutes. Nothing serious, but 3 of the players were given misconducts:

Iran, Kuwait have chaotic brawl at Division IV world championship

minor skirmish and nothing serious, do you even watch what you link? there where guys there throwing punches on guys from behind to the neck and that where down on the ice. also one player used his stick as a weapon.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
minor skirmish and nothing serious, do you even watch what you link? there where guys there throwing punches on guys from behind to the neck and that where down on the ice. also one player used his stick as a weapon.

Compared to the headline used here, I would say it was fairly minor. I was expecting a bench clearing brawl or something, but these guys seem like they had trouble even throwing a punch or two. Though that is good for the stick-wielding player, as that could easily have become deadly (but I also think it shows his inexperience).

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
That was some wild skirmish, and it's interesting to note that none of the three players thrown out were the players most deeply involved in the melee. Iran's #99 was running around taking shots at anyone who was standing still enough to be hit and he wound up featuring in the scoring later in the game. I see the Kazakh referee standing there with his hand in the air, but I don't know what he was looking at.

But thanks to whoever started this thread for alerting me not to this tournament (that hockey is a wild ride) but to the streams of the game, which then led me down a rabbit hole of the broadcasts by the broadcaster of the sport of Kok Boru, a rather brutal sport in which horse-riding players vie to pick up a headless goat or calf or sometimes wolf carcass and dump it in the opposing team's goal, while avoiding being trampled by horses or beaten by sticks wielded by opposing players. It's a wild, wild ride.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019
Kyrgyzstan could easily marching through to Division 2 in the next two years. They already had good results in the Olympic qualifiers.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Man can't wait to se the highlights from a division 4 game.

The horse video was awesome though as the goal circle is called the circle of justice.

Also the term GOAT is very literal in that sport.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Kyrgyzstan could easily marching through to Division 2 in the next two years. They already had good results in the Olympic qualifiers.
Watching RSA - Bosnia in D3B. While it's miles ahead of the rest of Division 4, these two teams would still be swept off the ice by Kyrgyzstan.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Does it directly matter? Probably not.

But if IIHF is weakening eligbilitiy rules it would have much more influence on lower-division hockey. There are two other guys on the roster of Thailand who doesn't seem to be eglibile under past IIHF ruling.

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
How is this guy eglible to play for Thailand?

He played there last season and as far as I can tell they haven't put up stats on EP for this season as of yet. It wouldn't be that outlandish that he's been playing there for 16 months (the requisite amount of time for eligibility for a dual-national).

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
To my understanding he's been involved in Thai hockey for several years already. There have been certain efforts to recruit players with Thai roots from abroad, especially the Nordic countries.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
It is a heavy what-if, but would Kyrgyzstan beat "real" China?
If the last pre-pandemic WC D2A (played in 2019.) is any indicator, my pick would be no. China played with "real" roster there, put up good fight against Croatia, who used some KHL/EBEL remains (Morrisonn, Zanoski, Vedlin, Kanaet), despite losing 7:0. Same goes for games against Spain, Australia and Serbia (promoted team).

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
He played there last season and as far as I can tell they haven't put up stats on EP for this season as of yet. It wouldn't be that outlandish that he's been playing there for 16 months (the requisite amount of time for eligibility for a dual-national).
Ah, you're probably right, I didn't notice that. That explains it.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

To my understanding he's been involved in Thai hockey for several years already. There have been certain efforts to recruit players with Thai roots from abroad, especially the Nordic countries.

Jan has been in Thailand full time since mid 2020, but has worked with the Thai hockey federation since 2016. He is one of a few half Thai players from Europe who have moved back to help grow the game here. Thai hockey is getting good, lots of high skilled players. but without a proper contact league all our stuff is glorified beer league game play (no dump-ins, lazy defense, etc)

We didn't have a season this year because covid, that's why there are no stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad