Prospect Info: Owen Beck

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You need to be worried about your ideas and I'll worry about mine. Don't let someone else's perspective please you or displease you.

If for no other reason, we need other perspectives to keep us from being stuck in our thinking. And don't worry, no one in a position to make Habs decisions will be influenced by my thinking.
Sorry man you've been pushing the same agenda for three seasons running maybe at one point you will realize you are wasting ink.
No matter how much we would have liked it Dvorak is not top six material.
Not only that nothing he can possibly do in that role would augment his trade value.
We are already looking at him as a potential block for a kid in his current role bumping him makes it even worse.

Reactions: morhilane

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sorry man you've been pushing the same agenda for three seasons running maybe at one point you will realize you are wasting ink.
No matter how much we would have liked it Dvorak is not top six material.
Not only that nothing he can possibly do in that role would augment his trade value.
We are already looking at him as a potential block for a kid in his current role bumping him makes it even worse.
Better late than never.

Dvo has some good skills. I think he can complete offensive players. I see him more blocking our youth's development, like Roy, by him being their center. He's not dynamic enough as a center to lead a good two way line.

But you're entitled to your opinions.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Better late than never.

Dvo has some good skills. I think he can complete offensive players. I see him more blocking our youth's development, like Roy, by him being their center. He's not dynamic enough as a center to lead a good two way line.

But you're entitled to your opinions.
I'm not known for my shyness. :popcorn:
I think it's a terrible idea.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not known for my shyness. :popcorn:
I think it's a terrible idea.

For sure I respect that perspective. If you want to hear why I think it could work, I'm happy to discuss it. But it sounds like you don't want to hear about it. And that's ok. It's kind of a subject I'm interested in, as you've noticed. I think Dvo has something to offer when playing with offensive players, and not at center. He's not dynamic enough to lead a good line as a center. But he has some skills in his toolbox...

Reactions: Frank8

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
For sure I respect that perspective. If you want to hear why I think it could work, I'm happy to discuss it. But it sounds like you don't want to hear about it. And that's ok. It's kind of a subject I'm interested in, as you've noticed. I think Dvo has something to offer when playing with offensive players, and not at center. He's not dynamic enough to lead a good line as a center. But he has some skills in his toolbox...
If's he's not dynamic enough as a center he's outlived his usefulness.
When did he last play wing out of curiosity.

Reactions: mdk

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If's he's not dynamic enough as a center he's outlived his usefulness.
When did he last play wing out of curiosity.
at the end of last season when he came back from injury I'm pretty sure MSL had him at wing as he eased him back into the lineup.

But the skillset is more of a winger's skillset: can finish around the net, can cycle, has some decent hands in small spaces, can make plays with his linemates, can put his shoulder down and go to the net. I think he be the garbage man and digger with some skill playing with two offensive players. Plus he could take draws if Dach struggles.

I'm not sure MSL wants to unseat Evans for Dvo. We'll see if Newhook doesn't make it as the winger with Laine and Dach, who plays C between Dvo and Newhook. I really liked Armia-Newhook-Roy/Gallagher last year, all things considered.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Shouldn't Beck be able to be an upgrade and replace Evans,if not,is that not concerning? Then again, is Montreal trying to ice the best roster possible or still trying to gain value on pieces that don't have a future with the club?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
*4tH lInEr If aLl gOeS wElL* 🐍

:slaugh:

1000008340.jpg

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Shouldn't Beck be able to be an upgrade and replace Evans,if not,is that not concerning? Then again, is Montreal trying to ice the best roster possible or still trying to gain value on pieces that don't have a future with the club?
you think it's concerning for a rookie to not be an immediate upgrade on an established vet? or are you talking down the line? because yeah, hopefully he's going to be an upgrade on Evans but it probably won't be in october 2024

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

we don't know if he is or isn't, but that shouldn't be a knock on any prospect as how can you know until you see them get some games in the NHL (I know he had the 1 game).

With prospects it's about doing what's right for them, since this isn't going for a cup this year, they need to focus on helping him reach his full potential over the coming years.

Reactions: bopeep

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
If Beck makes his case in camp ir Laval, he'll get his chance.
But Beck doesn't have best hands. I see his ceiling as Danault. And that may take some time to reach.
Comparable skating ability but Beck has a much better shot. Beck plays a heavier game and has more offensive upside. Danault will always be a better defensive player.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Comparable skating ability but Beck has a much better shot. Beck plays a heavier game and has more offensive upside. Danault will always be a better defensive player.
I’d like to see Beck model himself somewhere between P Bergeron & Danault. Obviously PB is a Hall of Fame’r so I’m thinking style of play more than matching stats.
Beck has a multitude of talents that make him a coaches dream….he’s responsible with the puck, defensively aware, a good skater & dynamite on the face off dot. Unfortunately for Beck he hasn’t had a permanent
(rink) address since he was a rookie. I really hope the organization recognizes and supports the rookies coming into Lavals camp this year…..it’s vitally important that we make a big step forward regarding player development. It can’t be all MSL as it’s been recently. Cheers

Reactions: bopeep

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I’d like to see Beck model himself somewhere between P Bergeron & Danault. Obviously PB is a Hall of Fame’r so I’m thinking style of play more than matching stats.
Beck has a multitude of talents that make him a coaches dream….he’s responsible with the puck, defensively aware, a good skater & dynamite on the face off dot. Unfortunately for Beck he hasn’t had a permanent
(rink) address since he was a rookie. I really hope the organization recognizes and supports the rookies coming into Lavals camp this year…..it’s vitally important that we make a big step forward regarding player development. It can’t be all MSL as it’s been recently. Cheers
I'd take another Danault just fine

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Stylistically, I see more of a slightly smaller Ryan Kesler as his upside. Shutdown center with a physical game and a wicked shot. He does not play like Bergeron or Danault at all as they were more cerebral centers who looked to cut passing lanes more than Beck who is an aggressive forechecker. They were also better playmakers than Beck (obviously with Bergeron being significantly better than Danault)

Maybe if you combine Steve Begin and Danault this might be a hybrid closer to Beck although the shot will need a boost.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Man, Laval will be fun to follow this year.

Insane future for us fans, i'm hyped!

My expectation is that Beck will show that he belongs in the NHL but there's just no room right now, he'll definitively be the first call up when injuries occur.

This kid is a winner.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
My expectation is that Beck will show that he belongs in the NHL but there's just no room right now, he'll definitively be the first call up when injuries occur.
I feel one of Beck/Kapanen will make the team and they will place Dvorak on waivers just like they did with Armia last year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The youth will get the job when they earn it over others. We can't alienate players like Evans, Anderson, Dvorak, Savard, Armia, Gallagher because we have a strong youth pool. It's a process to manage you go season by season.

We do not have cap issues so we should not be rushing kids to the NHL. That's a bad idea IMO. If Beck is good enough to make it, let him earn the job.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
I feel one of Beck/Kapanen will make the team and they will place Dvorak on waivers just like they did with Armia last year.
With a few kids looking at snatching up his spot while playing for a new contract doesn’t light up a flame under Dvorak’s butt , nothing ever will.
While I have been disappointed 99% with him in 99% of the games I watched him play, I don’t see that scenario happening.
Like many said ; best case scenario is for Dvorak to start the season like he actually cares, and then move him IF we are out of the loop a few weeks before tdl and have Beck come up to finish the season.

Reactions: 1909

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
The youth will get the job when they earn it over others. We can't alienate players like Evans, Anderson, Dvorak, Savard, Armia, Gallagher because we have a strong youth pool. It's a process to manage you go season by season.

We do not have cap issues so we should not be rushing kids to the NHL. That's a bad idea IMO. If Beck is good enough to make it, let him earn the job.
Will they though? of course it's debatable if they choose to do as you believe, but that's not always the case as is evident from what has transpired in the past.

we don't know if he is or isn't, but that shouldn't be a knock on any prospect as how can you know until you see them get some games in the NHL (I know he had the 1 game).

With prospects it's about doing what's right for them, since this isn't going for a cup this year, they need to focus on helping him reach his full potential over the coming years.
As you put it, not going for a cup, so why not see what's he got, nothing to lose. If he's not ready, it will be obvious. I've seen enough of Evans and Gallagher and both should be easily replaced with what is in the system. It would not be the first time a player makes the team when not ready. Stay tuned for what will unfold.

you think it's concerning for a rookie to not be an immediate upgrade on an established vet? or are you talking down the line? because yeah, hopefully he's going to be an upgrade on Evans but it probably won't be in october 2024
Nothing against Evans but he's not much. Can't make plays, has no physicality. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to beat him out for a spot, but knowing how this team operates, not happening until players get moved out or injured. And reading here and there, Roy, to many here feels he's a lock.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Will they though? of course it's debatable if they choose to do as you believe, but that's not always the case as is evident from what has transpired in the past.

As you put it, not going for a cup, so why not see what's he got, nothing to lose. If he's not ready, it will be obvious. I've seen enough of Evans and Gallagher and both should be easily replaced with what is in the system. It would not be the first time a player makes the team when not ready. Stay tuned for what will unfold.

Nothing against Evans but he's not much. Can't make plays, has no physicality. Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to beat him out for a spot, but knowing how this team operates, not happening until players get moved out or injured. And reading here and there, Roy, to many here feels he's a lock.
I get what you say about Evans, but honestly I would rather they keep him over Dvorak. Evans at least, really care.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
How do you know how much or how little Dvorak cares and Evans does? Dvorak has hardly played since arriving,often injured.
Ok, good point, it is true he was often injured. I will say this differently, from what I've seen from Evans, a guy who likely would not have an NHL career without the Habs, I'm 100% certain he cares about the team. Dvorak I can't be 100% certain he does not, it's true, but to me when I see him play he seems like floating around. Montreal or elsewhere, not a problem for him I think.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Ok, good point, it is true he was often injured. I will say this differently, from what I've seen from Evans, a guy who likely would not have an NHL career without the Habs, I'm 100% certain he cares about the team. Dvorak I can't be 100% certain he does not, it's true, but to me when I see him play he seems like floating around. Montreal or elsewhere, not a problem for him I think.
Dvorak is a weird case. Guys on the team seem to really like him a lot. So obviously he has some sort of off-ice personality that he shows and people like. He just has literally nothing on the ice. He doesn't seem to get mad, or happy, or excited, or pumped, or.... anything. He's just there. And that's how he plays too.

I've said it in another thread but if his playing style was a meal it would literally be plain toast and room-temperature water.

Based on how much him and Evans get injured, I fully expect Beck to play at least 20 games with the big club.

Reactions: Paddyjack and Tyson

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Dvorak is a weird case. Guys on the team seem to really like him a lot. So obviously he has some sort of off-ice personality that he shows and people like. He just has literally nothing on the ice. He doesn't seem to get mad, or happy, or excited, or pumped, or.... anything. He's just there. And that's how he plays too.

I've said it in another thread but if his playing style was a meal it would literally be plain toast and room-temperature water.

Based on how much him and Evans get injured, I fully expect Beck to play at least 20 games with the big club.
I like the ''plain generic pair of blue jeans'' analogy for Dvorak myself, but it's the same sentiment :thumbu:

Reactions: Paddyjack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad