Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I would think the best thing for the Habs to do is let Kitchener know that it didn't work out last year and they'd like to get him a change of scenery, whether Laval in the AHL or another OHL team. So, if they could work out a trade to another team.

I would like to see Mesar master the OHL before moving on to the OHL. I know he wants to play AHL. But what's the rush?
From what was said at the dev camp, Habs already decided to play Mesar in the AHL next season. That's probably because they want most of the kids to train/develop together and so many were joining this year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
From what was said at the dev camp, Habs already decided to play Mesar in the AHL next season. That's probably because they want most of the kids to train/develop together and so many were joining this year.
It sounded like that was the plan before last season. But Mesar ended up not dominating the OHL. So plans might have to change.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sending Mesar to Kitchener was a mistake to start with. That place was a dumpster fire that caused Mesar to regress. He barely looks like the player he was at last year rookie/training camp.

Hypothetically, on which team do you think would be best for Mesar to play and develop next year: the Laval Rocket or the London Knights.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Hypothetically, on which team do you think would be best for Mesar to play and develop next year: the Laval Rocket or the London Knights.
Is Hunter still the Knights coach? But I think they already have their two Euro imports so no chance he can get traded there.

I still think it might be better to just put Mesar with the other kids in Laval. If Houle decide to ship him to the Lions, then send him back to the O.

I think Habs should have sent Mesar back to Europe for his D+1 season personally anyway.

Reactions: 26Mats

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would think the best thing for the Habs to do is let Kitchener know that it didn't work out last year and they'd like to get him a change of scenery, whether Laval in the AHL or another OHL team. So, if they could work out a trade to another team.

I would like to see Mesar master the OHL before moving on to the OHL. I know he wants to play AHL. But what's the rush?

For me, he doesn't need to master the OHL. I'd rather have him in Laval than in Junior.

He struggled after a very good WJC, and before that all the data points were fantastic.

People here just want to extrapolate the lows of a players development as proof they are busts.

Habs Fandom is a lot like Leafs fans, everything is gloom.

It's almost as if these kids need to step in and be complete products. Many just don't want them going through growing pains.

You hit a wall offensively and haven't produced in a handful of games where you don't play your best hockey? You were the wrong pick and will bust hard.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

No, it doesn't work that way, Mesar wants to develop his strengh. He'll only be able to do that if he's in contact with stronger players. He's been regressing at the OHL, you can clearly see the Mesar of last year's camp vs the one we have now, they're 2 different players.

He's way above the skill level of the OHL, last year it was a big waste of time, he clearly did not want to go there, he did not like it. Now its a situation that if he can't make the AHL he'll either go back to europe or MTL will have to trade him.

The rush is that his development is being impacted, massively. He din't come out a better player from the OHL. It will be a shame to lose him now, we need to give him a chance to prove himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pomee

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Laval Rocket.

It's his choice #1, so motivation will be at the highest. You promised him only 1 year of OHL.

Why are you trying so hard to hate on the player?

Reactions: DAChampion

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
will be fascinating to see where he is in 12 months from now...

talented kid picked right around where he was ranked a year ago... mediocre OHL season has a lot of people down on him, but the talent & skating didn't go anywhere.

A great D+2 season and we could very well be talking about him as one of our top prospects by this time next year. A poor D+2 year and the bust patrol will be out in full force.

let's hope for the former

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
will be fascinating to see where he is in 12 months from now...

talented kid picked right around where he was ranked a year ago... mediocre OHL season has a lot of people down on him, but the talent & skating didn't go anywhere.

A great D+2 season and we could very well be talking about him as one of our top prospects by this time next year. A poor D+2 year and the bust patrol will be out in full force.

let's hope for the former

Hey man, Hfboards needs more people like you.

He's working on his muscles this summer, lets see the result at the main camp. Hopefully he doesn't lose his power and speed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hey man, Hfboards needs more people like you.

He's working on his muscles this summer, lets see the result at the main camp. Hopefully he doesn't lose his power and speed.

If he adds 5-10 lbs of muscle, I doubt it affects his speed. If anything, it makes him more powerful with edge work and speed. Adding 20 lbs+ could be different.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He struggled after a very good WJC, and before that all the data points were fantastic.

People here just want to extrapolate the lows of a players development as proof they are busts.

Habs Fandom is a lot like Leafs fans, everything is gloom.
I’d say Habs fandom is too swayed by the recency effect. If a Habs prospect is not killing it right from the get-go, it’s probably cause he’s smol, has low IQ and some other guy Kuliched him.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I’d say Habs fandom is too swayed by the recency effect. If a Habs prosoect is not killing it right from the get-go, it’s probably cause he’s smol, has low IQ and some other guy Kuliched him.
Beck hasn't really been amazing statistically but he doesn't get nearly the same negative opinion. It's not really that Mesar is bad, I think he's just not worth the draft position.

Reminds me of McCarron, the prospect of him wasn't that bad. Just wish he wasn't a high pick. Kulich just makes it worse since he was the player falling in the consensus ranking while Mesar was lower.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
This kid clearly is very against going back to juniors.

I don't see the point of sending him back there. He didn't want to be there last year and it showed on the ice.

I'm all for letting players earn it, but I feel in this case just give him a spot in Laval. He probably wants to be in Montreal anyways.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Beck hasn't really been amazing statistically but he doesn't get nearly the same negative opinion. It's not really that Mesar is bad, I think he's just not worth the draft position.

Reminds me of McCarron, the prospect of him wasn't that bad. Just wish he wasn't a high pick. Kulich just makes it worse since he was the player falling in the consensus ranking while Mesar was lower.

A lot of people were ready to throw Beck away for peanuts when his offense dried up after being traded to Peterborough.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Beck gets more rope as a center who can dominate the faceoff circle, can play physical, is defensively responsible. He’s mostly tabbed as a 3C or middlesixer, so the expectations are lower.

I’m not sure what to make of Mesar or what the Habs brass was thinking when they selected him.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
The progress was so positive for our prospects coming up from the AHL last year I have no problem with any of our rookies going down there too develop and get more ice time. The league that our newest number one draft pick played in is considered by some experts to be either better than the Ahl or one notch below and considering how well Laval has been in developing defenseman lately I wouldn't mind seeing him with the Rocket .

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Sending Mesar to Kitchener was a mistake to start with. That place was a dumpster fire that caused Mesar to regress. He barely looks like the player he was at last year rookie/training camp.
He had a solid WJC. He was a key player on a Slovakian entry that did better than expected. I saw him in person at the WJC. He has high-end speed/accelaration and good hockey IQ. He's also not afraid to get mashed in order to make a play.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Kitchener Rangers STH here.

I had watched every Mesar home game last year and a few on the road. Plus what I could of the World Juniors. He is a tale of two players.

If you took the Mesar that started in the OHL and look at his first 5 games or so and his performance at the WJ tournament then he is a stud of a prospect. If you watched him the majority of the other games then you will come off not very impressed.

I really hope that he has been lifting the weights this summer because he was small even by OHL standards last year. AHL is against grown men and he may be in trouble physically.

Now he did have some great games where he was held off the scoresheet. He would create chances and would set up line mates for some grade A scoring chances but they rarely converted.

Kitchener was really mis coached last year. They had fired the coach a week after the trade deadline and the GM stepped in behind the bench. Mesar was pretty mishandled. He really is a play driver and a good set up man. Problem is Francesco Pinelli played on his line and had a great year. He was one of the best players in the OHL last year and he was the play driver. Mesar wasn’t really carrying the puck in as much as he should have because the older and bigger player got that responsibility. Mesar does not have a great shot so him playing with a play driver really doesn’t help him much because it’s not like he will set himself up to score a bunch. Then the coaches finally got it and moved him to another line. Problem was they moved him to the third line and he was playing with much lesser skilled players. I really wish that he had more drive and fire to his game.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I really hope that he has been lifting the weights this summer because he was small even by OHL standards last year. AHL is against grown men and he may be in trouble physically.

I'm not too worried with this considering his legs are already huge. I'm thinking he's gonna be a pain to push around soon enough.

I could be super wrong tho.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This kid clearly is very against going back to juniors.

I don't see the point of sending him back there. He didn't want to be there last year and it showed on the ice.

I'm all for letting players earn it, but I feel in this case just give him a spot in Laval. He probably wants to be in Montreal anyways.
Same argument that is used to keep Slaf in Montreal should be used to keep Mesar in Laval. The only thing he can do by staying in juniors is dissapoint. He is a PPG and it's normal. He doesn't and he's a bust. So you bring him in Laval, and play him. If he struggles, it's growing pains. If he doesn't, it's a surprise. By playing him in Laval you shift the expectations. And I'd love to see him play with better player which I think he'll look better.

Reactions: DAChampion

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I haven't been impressed with his skating. Granted I haven't watched him much, but he doesn't seem very dynamic. He's so small, and he doesn't seem to have the skating or skill that will compensate for his lack of size. I'm very down on this prospect. I hope to be proved wrong here. I am not a Filip Mesar expert but I have seen him live twice and I am not impressed at all with his package. On top of it he seems like a pouty guy or something. I have very little faith that he will amount to anything. One of my least favourite Habs prospects. Hope to be proven wrong - if so, it won't be the first time and won't be the last!

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I haven't been impressed with his skating. Granted I haven't watched him much, but he doesn't seem very dynamic. He's so small, and he doesn't seem to have the skating or skill that will compensate for his lack of size. I'm very down on this prospect. I hope to be proved wrong here. I am not a Filip Mesar expert but I have seen him live twice and I am not impressed at all with his package. On top of it he seems like a pouty guy or something. I have very little faith that he will amount to anything. One of my least favourite Habs prospects. Hope to be proven wrong - if so, it won't be the first time and won't be the last!

If you're not impressed with his skating, I'd have to expect you caught him on some bad nights.. his skating is exceptional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad